advertisement

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die Book

fegs

pfm Member
A mate of mine bought me this and it arrived this afternoon

it's not a book I was even aware of (not sure how it slipped the net??)

It's brilliant though and like any other lists it provokes much thought and debate, it also makes me want to spend some £££'s on vinyl

Anyone else got it ?

I have 2 different versions of it - there might even be more. The trouble is, with each version there's a different '1001' selection. Maybe there's around 1800+ albums that should be heard before you die. That's almost as many as the 'Best Of' albums issued by Paul Simon and Clannad.

I have 2 different versions of it - there might even be more. The trouble is, with each version there's a different '1001' selection. Maybe there's around 1800+ albums that should be heard before you die. That's almost as many as the 'Best Of' albums issued by Paul Simon and Clannad.

I think there's several versions, and as you say as a new version arrives then some albums "drop off" the list to maintain the 1001

I'm finding it a very interesting read and there's certainly some stuff I need to listen to now

It's true what you say. There's some really thought-provoking entries in there. And a few surprises.

You've just inspired me to go and hunt out my copy!

I recently got a copy of the book as well.

It's great in the sense that most albums are good objectively speaking (i guess we could debate if that's even possible but imo it is).
Then there will always be stuff I personally don't like but that's life.

And here's an idea for anyone who wanna dig into it.
Listen to the albums with the help of this site.
It gives you one each day.
I use it and use the book for reading up on my generated album.
It's seriously great. Lets you rate your stuff also.

1001albumsgenerator.com

Today i had Nina Simone. Good stuff and wonderful singer/pianist.
Actually I've had 3 amazing female artists the last days.
Had Kate Bush yesterday (Hounds of Love) and Joni Mitchell (Blue) before that.

It's great in the sense that most albums are good objectively speaking (i guess we could debate if that's even possible but imo it is).

1001albumsgenerator.com

That's a brilliant link, thanks for posting

A mate of mine bought me this and it arrived this afternoon

it's not a book I was even aware of (not sure how it slipped the net??)

It's brilliant though and like any other lists it provokes much thought and debate, it also makes me want to spend some £££'s on vinyl

Anyone else got it ?

Almost bought it a couple of weeks ago in a rare trip out in my local Waterstones. A good mix of some of my old favourites that I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see in such a book, and a good helping of stuff I've somehow never heard and now feel I probably should.

Almost bought it a couple of weeks ago in a rare trip out in my local Waterstones. A good mix of some of my old favourites that I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see in such a book, and a good helping of stuff I've somehow never heard and now feel I probably should.

It's certainly worth getting

1001albumsgenerator.com

Thanks for posting this, makes choosing the daily Treadmill album to download to the DAP a cinch, I don’t do playlists cos I’m old.

Gus

Since I retired, I have made it a project to research my musical life and listen/buy stuff that passed me by at the time. This is mainly the 60s and early 70s when I had no real income. This book has been very helpful in this respect and I've unearthed some great stuff that I really should've known about.

Reminds me of something Rick Wakeman once said. Touring recently in South America a young fan came up to him to get him to sign an old Yes album. Rick asked the boy why he wasn't listening to new music rather than his old stuff and the boy replied that he'd never heard any Yes before so to him it WAS new music.

Exactly!

I've had a copy for a few years now (2013 edition). I occasionally dip into it for ideas.

The generator has been kind this week.
Anyone else into it?

Nowhere - Ride
One of my favourite shoegaze-albums together with Loveless and Souvlaki.
Rides best effort and a a truly masterpiece. A bit long though and it certainly requires a good mood and good speakers/headphones.

Soft Bulletin - Flaming Lips
Used to listen alot to this when it came, but not much since.
I always loved Wayne Coyne and his natural coolness though.
It also aged very well, so its a 5 lo-fi stars out of 5.

Songs of Lone and Hate - Leonard Cohen
Oh. Heavy, but so good. And his voice with the acoustic guitars makes a perfect match.
Love Diamonds In The Mine.

Also perhaps worth mentioning is the accompanying: ‘1001 Songs you must hear before you die’ by the same chap, Robert Dimery.

Cheers.....Dave

Some great, old, stuff lately from the 1001 generator.

Such great positive energy. Impossible to put this one on and not smile.
R-4399673-1363871925-4426.jpeg.jpg

Pretty sure Bob Dylan was influenced by this guy?
Some very good folk tunes in here.
264x264.jpg

Probably my favourite Kinks album and surely one of the best concept albums ever made?
TheKinksVillageGreenPreservationSociety.jpg

@Topeco , thanks for this. The web site is a great resource. Also the revised 2018 edition is currently £10 at a couple of outlets, including Argos, Waterstones & Amazon. Ordered from Argos at 12:00, delivered same day at 18:31. I'm trying to resist reading it as have bought it for my son.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1788400801/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Topeco , thanks for this. The web site is a great resource. Also the revised 2018 edition is currently £10 at a couple of outlets, including Argos, Waterstones & Amazon. Ordered from Argos at 12:00, delivered same day at 18:31. I'm trying to resist reading it as have bought it for my son.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1788400801/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Thanks for that. I'm using an older edition, and sometimes the generator gives me an album that is not in my book. So i'll probably buy the 2018 one. Good price!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back