advertisement

1 pre-amp, 2 set-ups

Seanm

pfm Member
What are my options here? 1 pre-amp to feed a set of active speakers plus power amp and passive speakers. Currently using Quad 34, which I’m happy with but not committed to. Active speakers are Genelecs, which will stay. No passive speakers yet but likely to be small, something like Spendor S3/5r. Amp is a 306.

There can be issues doing it as above. Some equipment when switched off will present a non linear impedance, and possibly a low one at that, at its input. Hence the switched off gear can cause distortion and or reduced level from the stuff in use. I once built a guy on AOS a passive pre, with active output as well, and switching for two outputs to go to main hi fi or AV system and for just this reason. It doesn't have to be this complicated of course!

What are my options here? 1 pre-amp to feed a set of active speakers plus power amp and passive speakers. Currently using Quad 34, which I’m happy with but not committed to. Active speakers are Genelecs, which will stay. No passive speakers yet but likely to be small, something like Spendor S3/5r. Amp is a 306.
Probably better to just get a passive pre to drive the power amp, should be pretty cost effective.

Hook up one set to the tape output?
Some pres can switch that output on/off.

If not, switch on/off amps.

There can be issues doing it as above. Some equipment when switched off will present a non linear impedance, and possibly a low one at that, at its input. Hence the switched off gear can cause distortion and or reduced level from the stuff in use. I once built a guy on AOS a passive pre, with active output as well, and switching for two outputs to go to main hi fi or AV system and for just this reason. It doesn't have to be this complicated of course!
Yes, I experienced it quite some time ago with one dac. Now I have a cd player and two amps. Will it be ok to use Y-cable if both amps are switched on? I could just turn down volume on unused amp. At the moment I use analog out to one amp and digital out to other amp which has built in dac. A bit shame not to use cd output to both amps.

Yes, I experienced it quite some time ago with one dac. Now I have a cd player and two amps. Will it be ok to use Y-cable if both amps are switched on? I could just turn down volume on unused amp. At the moment I use analog out to one amp and digital out to other amp which has built in dac. A bit shame not to use cd output to both amps.

That should be OK yes.

I have Tisbury mini pre without any use. Can it be used as hub for two power amps and source without Y cable associated trouble? Level reducing feature could be useful.

Get a twin interconnect. Turn on or off the power amp or speakers as needed.

I use a pair of RCA adapters so I can plug two leads into one output. My preamp feeds both my Jolida valve amps and my solid state Voyagers. Never had an issue.

Except that the tape output bypasses the volume control, which might be a tad inconvenient.

I’m doing a similar thing in a temporary set up at the moment...
Tape out from main front end, but feeding into a Quad 66, then on to an active crossover to two 606s...
Works well

I’m doing a similar thing in a temporary set up at the moment...
Tape out from main front end, but feeding into a Quad 66, then on to an active crossover to two 606s...
Works well
That entails two preamplifiers. The OP wanted to make do with just one.

I use an SPL Control 2 in a similar situation. 2 balanced inputs, 2 balanced outs + 1 balanced mono (for sub etc).
Has a good headphone amp built in with crossfeed.

Beresford TC-7220 I bought one recently pretty darn good for the money and will allow 4 inputs switching to two amps very little if no noticeable degradation in sq. Available on line for £90 Will allow pre out into Beresford and two amp outs switchable

advertisement

Back