advertisement

“UK vinyl sales heading for best year in three decades” - The Grauniad

This may be of interest to anyone...

That's a great link, not only for his honest appraisal of the Rolling Stones release, but because it led on to another video by him, about his top 10 Jazz albums of all time.

He’s obviously an enthusiast who cares about sound quality and he loves his music. OK, so we’ll have to forgive him for his constant reference to ‘Rock n’ Roll’ but watching this video, makes you want to visit a record store and buy some LPs!

His list:

1. Art Blakey – Moanin’
2. The Horace Silver Quintet ‎– Song for My Father
3. Lee Donaldson – Mr. Shing-A-Ling
4. Herbie Hancock ‎– Empyrean Isles
5. Kenny Burrell ‎– Midnight Blue
6. Miles Davis ‎– Jack Johnson
7. John Coltrane ‎– Blue Train
8. Stan Getz, Carlos Jobim ‎– Getz / Gilberto
9. Miles Davis - Kind of blue
10. Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time out.

I love his honesty about the fact that some of the current issues may not be the best quality compared to the original release!

...whilst none of them individually could ever compete with the old major label dad-rock stuff from past A&R-controlled eras, I bet as a whole it amounts to the majority of what is being sold.

You could well be right - it would be really interesting to see a breakdown of indie vs major label market share. Do organisations like the BPI even track sales through Bandcamp etc?

There was a report a couple of years back that found a small number of 'superfans' are responsible for 72% of overall vinyl spend. They're not buying Queen represses.

On the other hand I don't understand how Rumours is currently on it's 273rd week in the Official Vinyl Album Chart (#7 down from #3 last week!). Who is buying it?!

That's what I was getting at by different markets. And it's tricky to unpick from the headline figures.

I agree though - it's a golden age to be buying independent and self-released vinyl! I've recently discovered Plastidisc whose very limited lathe-cut releases sell out in minutes!

Do organisations like the BPI even track sales through Bandcamp etc?

This is likely key, as it has been since the ‘80s when music really started to fragment into niche markets. For all I know they are only tracking sales from HMV, Sainsburys etc, so I very much doubt that limited edition coloured vinyl signed Nubya Garcia album or whatever counts to the total. I’ve not set foot in a HMV for a long while now, but I’d only expect them to hold a selection of chart music and reissues of well established classics, all the interesting stuff will be out on the further reaches of independents and the internet. Certainly a lot of specific editions I’ve bough this year are online only even if the title is available more widely.

Some good points here.

Delighted to see a King Buffalo mention! They put up a live album yesterday, with - you guessed it - a load of variants. I tried to get the test pressing edition, but the bugger sold out whilst I was checking out. Plumped for a nice sea blue edition of 110 instead, which I'm pleased about.

Thanks for the heads up, ordered one myself :)

I’ve not set foot in a HMV for a long while now, but I’d only expect them to hold a selection of chart music and reissues of well established classics.

That's not quite true of HMV these days; their stores have vastly expanded their range of vinyl, with extra racks. I remember years ago, when visiting my nearest HMV store, asking to speak to the manager. That's me, he said. I went on to say, that the way they were storing their vinyl, taking in mind that the racks contain the actual record, not just the sleeve, was all wrong; too tight, not allowing easy browsing. Too much other stuff in the store that’s never going to shift. Why not put in some extra LP racks? I asked. Head office would never listen to me, he replied. Enough people must of complained though, because there’s been a marked increase in the amount of new vinyl that they stock; still not my favourite record store though.

That's a great link, not only for his honest appraisal of the Rolling Stones release, but because it led on to another video by him, about his top 10 Jazz albums of all time.

He’s obviously an enthusiast who cares about sound quality and he loves his music. OK, so we’ll have to forgive him for his constant reference to ‘Rock n’ Roll’ but watching this video, makes you want to visit a record store and buy some LPs!

His list:

1. Art Blakey – Moanin’
2. The Horace Silver Quintet ‎– Song for My Father
3. Lee Donaldson – Mr. Shing-A-Ling
4. Herbie Hancock ‎– Empyrean Isles
5. Kenny Burrell ‎– Midnight Blue
6. Miles Davis ‎– Jack Johnson
7. John Coltrane ‎– Blue Train
8. Stan Getz, Carlos Jobim ‎– Getz / Gilberto
9. Miles Davis - Kind of blue
10. Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time out.

I love his honesty about the fact that some of the current issues may not be the best quality compared to the original release!

He’s someone I’ve been considering subscribing to.

advertisement

Back