advertisement

“That cyclist” who hit the horse.

Mmm several options to respond to this. I’ll go with the fact that we all have to pay an increased premium due to uninsured drivers. If the computer says no insurance, then it’s worth checking out. How was he supposed to know you were insured?

It can also lead to other offences, which would not be known until the car had been stopped. Lots of what-ifs.

I’m not going to respond to your bellend comment. That’s your POV. As for the food comment, damn I missed the order on not being allowed to eat in view of the public.

Fwiw I’m no longer a serving officer, btw.
Just trolling! But there is history behind that particular policeman. We grew up in the same village. He has pulled me over before for a rip in my bumper. We never got on then. I think he is harbouring some dark childhood shit. He was a bit weird.

If you read the Highway Code, the paragraph regarding riding two abreast begins with "should" so it's advisory, not law.

That said, the Highway Code is not the law either.
I think that anything that is a legal requirement is printed in red. With a link to the relevant law. But very hard to check; I have tried!

Hi Rich,

I don’t know enough folk on here well enough to suss who is pulling my chain or not. I suspected as much, but defaulted to my old ways of programming etc ie answer the question factually.

;)

Just trolling! But there is history behind that particular policeman. We grew up in the same village. He has pulled me over before for a rip in my bumper. We never got on then. I think he is harbouring some dark childhood shit. He was a bit weird.
In Bodedern on Anglesey we had a local cop (Tom Jones by name) who would play darts with you in the pub, then ring the cop in the next village to book you for no tax, etc! He was replaced by Hugh Pugh (really!) who was shunted out there for booking his own superior officer for a traffic violation. I preferred him.

Not wanting to stir a hornet's nest (much) but the only coppers that ever wind me up are traffic cops! I had one weave through 10 miles of traffic in rush hour a couple of years ago because his computer said my car was not insured. He was on his way to work, driving the other way to me so he turned round to nick me. It took him 20 minutes to get to me from Hull Infirmary to Brough. He then made me sit there for 20 minutes because he did not believe my insurance doc could contradict his computer. So I had to wait while someone down the station checked it all out. Then he had to drive back into town. One hour of his day wasted.

Biggest. Bellend. Ever.

And what about the ones that sit on those motorway ramps eating McDonalds.
Only ever had one negative experience with a traffic officer and that was a couple of years ago, I was driving down the Highstreet early hours of the morning after dropping some friends home (I’m almost always the designated driver due to the fact I don’t drink much), he’d pulled out a side road a few hundred yards down the road coming towards me and had his high beams on and was blinding me, flashed my high beams at him, I couldn’t even tell that it was a police car... next thing I know, he’s put his blue lights on, done a u turn and came after me. I knew he was going to pull me over so I just pulled up and waited for him. He tried to accuse me of speeding, which of course he had no evidence because I hadn’t been, next he told me I stank of alcohol... I’d only been drinking Becks Blue, which is alcohol free, I gladly took his breathalyser which obviously came back negative... but he wasn’t finished, he then turned his attention on my car and went through it with a fine toothed comb, found nothing untoward, my car was 18 years old at the time but was and still is meticulously maintained... still not satisfied, he wanted to dress me down for flashing my lights in his face... he’d not let me get a word in edgeways until this point. I then pointed out the fact that I’d flashed my lights at him because he’d got his high beams on and was blinding me, so much so that I couldn’t tell what kind of car was coming towards me, they were still on at that point. He looked decidedly sheepish but still didn’t offer an apology... so my dash cam footage of the whole episode went to his gaffer... who apologised on his behalf.

I’ve only been pulled over four times in about fifteen and a half years, first time about three months after passing my test, I was doing 40 in a 30 zone, I was obviously very apologetic, told them the truth (that I was trying to get to the cinema before the next screening of Pirates Of The Caribbean), they were very nice and had a sense of humour, told not to do it again in front of a police car and then said jokingly “you’re going to have to put your foot down if you want to get to that movie on time”. We got in just in time for the end of the trailers.

Second time way early hours of New Year’s Day in 2012, I been working on a live gig with multiple bands and was stone cold sober, they could tell that I was completely sober and simply asked where I’d been, remarked that my job sounded much more fun than theirs on that night, wished me a happy new year and let me on my way.

Third was the tit I wrote about above.

Fourth was a fortnight ago, early hours on Sunday morning. I’d been working and had dropped a friend home at the end of the night, however I was quite unwell, I had a chest infection and was suffering with chest cramps/back spasms, I was on a stretch of road where I didn’t want to just stop (a rat run with lots of bends) so I just slowed down, a police car came up behind, clocked my speed and thought it odd, they pulled me over in the nearest safe spot (by Chasewater in Burntwood) and immediately realised I was unwell. They were great and totally understood my decision to try and find a safe place to stop, they offered to call for medical assistance but with a few puffs of my inhaler and five minutes of rest, I started to feel okay, they stayed with me until I was sure I was okay to continue on home.

Also in Burntwood last year, I had a brake warning light come on and pulled up by McDonald’s to try and investigate, not easy when you’re disabled, a police car pulled on whilst doing their rounds and they immediately came to my assistance, fetched a torch from the boot and found a damaged brake line. They asked if I was okay getting home but I have RAC cover and was able to get towed, It was kind of them to help, they didn’t have to, it was properly above and beyond laying on a wet car park looking under my car.

Hi Rich,

I don’t know enough folk on here well enough to suss who is pulling my chain or not. I suspected as much, but defaulted to my old ways of programming etc ie answer the question factually.

;)
Really. You didn't bother answering factually my question asking what you meant by your single file comment.

Harry, I didn’t need to. It was my perception that othes had already answered it.

If you want me to quote where this was done after my post on this thread, please say.

Harry, I didn’t need to. It was my perception that othes had already answered it.

If you want me to quote where this was done after my post on this thread, please say.

Another swerve.

These are your actual words "Another issue is the simple compliance regarding riding single file."

Perhaps you'd like to tell me exactly what you meant by this.

I get riding alongside each other, apart from on narrow roads. The posted narrative from others describes this, doesn’t it?

I travel past Sherwood Forest Visitors Centre weekly, and it’s a well know route for cyclists. They are faced with the dilemma of riding alongside or single file due to the narrow road. Some go single, some don’t. The frustration is when trying to not give the impression of putting pressure on said cyclists, unfortunately on occasion their decision can cause a tail back, due to the nature of the road.

My personal view is the legislation, and guidance, are open to misinterpretation - as are several aspects of traffic law.

I get the impression you are wanting to catch me out, or for me to acknowledge I’m wrong. If I’m giving the impression I’m swerving the question, then please accept my apologies for this.

If another poster has provided the answer, then I’m happy to acquiesce to that.

Lol...coiled spring ready for some action with the fuzz.

Allow me to diffuse it...the highway code says cyclists should ride side by side where possible , it's safer blah blah blah.....
You (perhaps conveniently) missed the bit about busy or narrow roads. This seems also to be missed by most mamils in my corner of Sussex.

It was a competition. Why did the organisers not prevent traffic during the race? What was the horse & rider doing on the road, was she not aware there was a race in progression?

If anyone is to blame it's the organisers.

last year we stayed in a pub/hotel in north yorkshire for a night before heading over to Helmsley for a night - it was a lovely summers day and we were driving along some country roads when we stumbled upon a road running race... we certainly weren't expecting it, tho, there were a couple of signs on the actual road itself...

but we were allowed to drive amongst the runners - but we held back as we were in no hurry... but there was a 4x4 carrying a horse trailer and the poor horse kept stamping it's feet etc... and he just drove past them.. :(

I ran on the roads for over 20 years and generally drivers are OK. If some look to be heading too close then I moved in to the middle a bit (two feet ?) so I have a bit more manoeuvering space if I need to; never had to use it. The best drivers demonstrate they've seen you by indicating and all I used to acknowledge (by hand) when they passed.

When I used to do a lot of road races (open roads) they were invariably well marshaled at every junction and drivers were on the whole fine about a slight delay. I did once see an idiot rev-up and try and push the marshals to one side to which he got his bonnet thumped by the next batch of runners passing him.

It really doesn't matter if you're a cyclist passing a horse or runner, or a car passing the same, just give the other person plenty of time and space, slow down and make them aware you've seen them. Then you'll get an complementary acknowledgment back.

CHE

The only road users who piss me off are any that don't look and see whats going on behind them. If you want to drive at 20 mph you can do so but if you have caused a sodding great queue behind you could pull over and let them past. Same for cyclists riding two abreast.. if you cause a queue maybe ride single file until the queue can disperse ?

Small potatoes compared to a quick headbutt for getting in the way of the cyclist jumping a red light.

What are pedestrians like these days:rolleyes:

Small potatoes compared to a quick headbutt for getting in the way of the cyclist jumping a red light.

What are pedestrians like these days:rolleyes:

While this is an extreme example this type of behaviour from a proportion of London's cyclists is becoming more prevalent. I walk around central London quite a bit for my job and it's not uncommon to see cyclists progressing through pedestrian crossings on a red light. If someone speaks to them they generally shout abuse and if they hit someone they just cycle off. I have seen the latter happen several times. About 12 months ago I saw a cyclist clatter into an old lady on the pedestrian crossing outside Waterloo station injuring her leg and he then tried to cycle off. Luckily he was grabbed and literally pinned down until the police came. I gave a statement and hopefully he got prosecuted for assault, but as I was never called he likely got no more than a slapped wrist. The arresting officer said that incidents between pedestrians and cyclists are becoming more common and CCTV footage shows them only a small proportion are ever reported as the public tend to think there is no point as they can't be identified once they have cycled off into the distance. The thing is the vast majority of cyclists much like the vast majority of motorists behave themselves, it would be a shame if the minority cause more draconian laws and legislation to be introduced around soemthing that is beneficial to health and congestion.

While this is an extreme example this type of behaviour from a proportion of London's cyclists is becoming more prevalent. I walk around central London quite a bit for my job and it's not uncommon to see cyclists progressing through pedestrian crossings on a red light. If someone speaks to them they generally shout abuse and if they hit someone they just cycle off. I have seen the latter happen several times. About 12 months ago I saw a cyclist clatter into an old lady on the pedestrian crossing outside Waterloo station injuring her leg and he then tried to cycle off. Luckily he was grabbed and literally pinned down until the police came. I gave a statement and hopefully he got prosecuted for assault, but as I was never called he likely got no more than a slapped wrist. The arresting officer said that incidents between pedestrians and cyclists are becoming more common and CCTV footage shows them only a small proportion are ever reported as the public tend to think there is no point as they can't be identified once they have cycled off into the distance. The thing is the vast majority of cyclists much like the vast majority of motorists behave themselves, it would be a shame if the minority cause more draconian laws and legislation to be introduced around soemthing that is beneficial to health and congestion.
I was crossing a road in central London a couple of weeks ago, in accordance with a green light, when a mamil came through at speed, head down. I shouted a warning, and he deliberately brushed against me as he went by.
London cyclists scare me more than any other road users there.

A good stout walking stick through the front spokes perhaps (by accident of course) ? I'm a Mamil myself, but always stop for pedestrians.

I'm going to start carrying a set of those collapsible ladders so that I can whip them out whenever I'm crossing the road - especially when it's a green man and there's someone on a bicycle approaching way too fast! How about a set of these 5m-telescopic ladders - too much?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back