advertisement

“That cyclist” who hit the horse.

On this point I must agree. There is little as unpleasant on the UK roads as the aggressive driver. I see none of this elsewhere. Forget to indicate? Expect someone to do tosser signs at you and offer you out for a fight. IN Europe they seem very relaxed, if a bit more selfish. I don't expect anyone to let me out at a junction in France or Germany. But I'd rather have that than have someone offer to kick my head in for a minor traffic violation.
Funnily enough, the most dangerous road rage incident I’ve been involved in was with a German driver on the M6, trying to move from the middle lane to the left ready to exit at junction 10, I indicated, looked to check it was clear and began to move over when he put his foot down to close the gap, he then overtook me, moved back in in front of me and brake tested me... unlucky for him, he was also exiting at junction 10 and I caught up with him face to face... I stopped short of beating the crap out of him because I didn’t want to land myself with an assault charge, he wasn’t worth it. I was infuriated though, I had my daughter, niece and sister in the car. He properly crapped himself when he found himself parallel with me in at the traffic lights though and he couldn’t find any excuse for his actions, choosing instead to just apologise frantically.

I am not far from Freiburg!

There is defo a bit more up yer arse motorway tailgating in Germany. And France perhaps also. I am mostly city driving and it is extremely chilled in Strasbourg and Kehl.
Interesting, I hadn’t seen these posts when I wrote my post above about the German guy. I’ve never before or since experienced anyone do anything like that for no reason.

I am not far from Freiburg!
To add to thread drift, that year I bought a set of bike indicators from Hein Gericke in Freiberg. When I got home I found I had 3 lefts and 1 right. Riding past Freiberg the next year, I took them back to swap one. The shop assistant looked at me in horror, asking if I had ridden all that way just change one indicator! I wish now I had lied, and said yes. :D

Funnily enough, the most dangerous road rage incident I’ve been involved in was with a German driver on the M6, trying to move from the middle lane to the left ready to exit at junction 10, I indicated, looked to check it was clear and began to move over when he put his foot down to close the gap, he then overtook me, moved back in in front of me and brake tested me... unlucky for him, he was also exiting at junction 10 and I caught up with him face to face... I stopped short of beating the crap out of him because I didn’t want to land myself with an assault charge, he wasn’t worth it. I was infuriated though, I had my daughter, niece and sister in the car. He properly crapped himself when he found himself parallel with me in at the traffic lights though and he couldn’t find any excuse for his actions, choosing instead to just apologise frantically.

G'wan admit it linnfo..I'll bet you had to drive at least 20 miles and 3 junctions out of your way to engineer that 'coincidental' meeting at the lights.. :)

G'wan admit it linnfo..I'll bet you had to drive at least 20 miles and 3 junctions out of your way to engineer that 'coincidental' meeting at the lights.. :)
I had to take a detour but not too far, he was heading for Walsall town centre and I caught up with him on the ring road, I’d ideas of giving him a slap but thought better of it, I was still quite vocal though... seeing him squirm was quite satisfying.:D

I wouldn’t have engaged in a chase on the motorway with someone who has already behaved in a dangerous manner, especially with kids in the car.

I don't read much comment about the horse rider, so let me correct that.

My wife rides and has done so for 30+ years. She used to ride a lot on the roads between fields but hardly does anymore due to the lack of consideration by road users. In particular vehicles travelling too fast and with too little space to the horse such that the horse can be spooked. It need not take too much for a horse to be scared and loose the rider and trust me it's not fun taking someone to A&E after an accident, them barely able to breathe and you not knowing if something really serious is happening. Or helping them through recovery for many years as they get their physical and mental selves back to near where they were.

So anyone who does something as irresponsible as this cyclist did needs to be sanctioned by the law. And next time you're out enjoying the road and come across a rider on a horse then simply, slow right down, pull out as far from the horse as possible, drive past slowly and continue to do so for some distance before slowly accelerating away. That way there won't be an accident.

CHE

IAnd next time you're out enjoying the road and come across a rider on a horse then simply, slow right down, pull out as far from the horse as possible, drive past slowly and continue to do so for some distance before slowly accelerating away. That way there won't be an accident.

CHE
And remember, especially on a motorbike, that most of the noise comes out of the exhaust. So keep the revs down until you are WELL past!

We live in the middle of a lot of tiny country roads and are surrounded by equestrian properties. Even the local pub has a little corral for horse riders to tie their horses up whilst they have a pint. Whilst I have no problem with giving horses a bit o space and respect on the roads, I also think if you like sitting on top of an unpredictable beastie and going wandering about in the traffic and are completely reliant on the goodwill of other road users to stop yourself being thrown in the hedge, you are being a little disingenuous if you blame others when you come to harm.

I wonder what fishies think of this event that happened to me almost a year to the day.

I was in training for the Yorkshire Three Peaks (did it in 11 hours) and was doing a regular 10 mile walk around the White Horse on Sutton Bank.
Walking down from the car park at the base of the horse you take a quite steep, very winding road, with most of the bends being blind; one in a car I would not feel safe doing more than 15mph in case I came across something around the next corner and needed to stop; like a horse for instance.
I was walking on the right facing downhill when around the bend came three cyclists on race bikes in full kit. They were going so fast I did not hear them until one went past me on the inside and the other two passed by on the outside. None of them were more that 0.5m away from me and I assume they just picked a course around the corner that gave them maximum speed.
I have never had a shock like it in my life! I bet they were doing well in excess of 30mph, zero chance of avoiding anything in their way.

I met them later at the car park in Kilburn. I reminded them of the incident in a very polite way, response was 'It's a free country!'.

My issue (and this is from one who now enjoys cycling) is that they were totally out of control and riding without due care and attention as appears to be case with the cyclist referred to in the OP.

They're what we other MAMIL type cyclists refer to as "knobs".
The knob ratio is a bit high among MAMILs though.

I only ever came across one knob on a horse. I was off-road motorcycling on a disused train track. As we approached she reversed the horse sideways on across the track, making it quite hard to pass without worrying about getting a hoof body blow.

I do agree it is a bit silly taking horses on the road, but it is legal and they do tend to be the nicest road users. So I always do the right thing, particularly when out on my two stroke. Free wheel with the throttle shut until adjacent to the horse and then baaaaaaarrrrrp, ringadingdingadingadingding.

Just kidding.

I wonder what fishies think of this event that happened to me almost a year to the day.

I was in training for the Yorkshire Three Peaks (did it in 11 hours) and was doing a regular 10 mile walk around the White Horse on Sutton Bank.
Walking down from the car park at the base of the horse you take a quite steep, very winding road, with most of the bends being blind; one in a car I would not feel safe doing more than 15mph in case I came across something around the next corner and needed to stop; like a horse for instance.
I was walking on the right facing downhill when around the bend came three cyclists on race bikes in full kit. They were going so fast I did not hear them until one went past me on the inside and the other two passed by on the outside. None of them were more that 0.5m away from me and I assume they just picked a course around the corner that gave them maximum speed.
I have never had a shock like it in my life! I bet they were doing well in excess of 30mph, zero chance of avoiding anything in their way.

I met them later at the car park in Kilburn. I reminded them of the incident in a very polite way, response was 'It's a free country!'.

My issue (and this is from one who now enjoys cycling) is that they were totally out of control and riding without due care and attention as appears to be case with the cyclist referred to in the OP.
You should have politely corrected them and told them ‘it’s a country with law and order and that their reckless riding will actually land them in a whole heap of trouble if they cause injury or damage to a third partie’s property’... and then told them to stop being such a tw*ts. Just because you don’t need a license or insurance to ride a bike, doesn’t mean you aren’t liable if you cause an accident.

They're what we other MAMIL type cyclists refer to as "knobs".

Yup totally nobbish thing to do.

Hammering downhill into blind bends with no line of sight is not only dangerous for themselves, but everybody else on the road.

I got felled by a dog that ran out in front of me on an otherwise straight and clear downhill stretch, and was thoroughly reminded of (a) how lousy the brakes on bicycles are - even supposedly high spec ones - and (b) how little fun face-planting the tarmac at 20+mph actually is. If they keep it up, it'll end in tears.

The knob ratio is a bit high among MAMILs though.

I only ever came across one knob on a horse. I was off-road motorcycling on a disused train track. As we approached she reversed the horse sideways on across the track, making it quite hard to pass without worrying about getting a hoof body blow.

I do agree it is a bit silly taking horses on the road, but it is legal and they do tend to be the nicest road users. So I always do the right thing, particularly when out on my two stroke. Free wheel with the throttle shut until adjacent to the horse and then baaaaaaarrrrrp, ringadingdingadingadingding.

Just kidding.
A friend of mine when he was a medical undergraduate doing pathology, was shown a brain in a bucket and asked what it was. It ended up in the bucket due to a horse kick to the head of its owner.

As an ex traffic cop, I’d add that the notification re trials etc are right.

Another issue is the simple compliance regarding riding single file.

But the most amazing memory for me is lack of contrition by either riders or drivers after most crashes when it was proved they were culpable(where it was a car v bike bump). Blame/litigation culture at its finest.

As an ex traffic cop, I’d add that the notification re trials etc are right.

Another issue is the simple compliance regarding riding single file.

But the most amazing memory for me is lack of contrition by either riders or drivers after most crashes when it was proved they were culpable(where it was a car v bike bump). Blame/litigation culture at its finest.

Haven't you got anything better to do? Like catching burglars etc....

A friend of mine when he was a medical undergraduate doing pathology, was shown a brain in a bucket and asked what it was. It ended up in the bucket due to a horse kick to the head of its owner.
Meaning it was converted from soft grey matter to something more like a milk shake?

A cousin of mine was killed by a kick in the head from a horse.

He was riding his bicycle past it.

advertisement

Back