advertisement

“That cyclist” who hit the horse.

Unless it's a Very Major Event (Tour de Yorkshire or whatever), it's almost impossible to get a road closed for a bike race.

They don't do it now, but ISTR that in the 90s road races were held on the 'old' A1 between Peterborough and St Neots seemingly every other weekend. Lunacy and lucky no-one was hurt, really.

They do time trials on major roads because their visibility to other road users is far better. Imagine that many cycles on a country road in summer, with national speed limit.

I really don’t see a problem with time trials, but if I did, I’d follow up with chats with the clubs involved and MPs.

But hey, cycling predates driving cars.

Because fast bicycles are dangerous.
Because not all cyclists on racers remember that they are sharing the road. There are a number of MAMILS where I live (560km of bicycle paths in the city where I live, and they are busy lanes) that appear to be training, trying to keep their average speed up and would rather shout to tell me to get out the way on my bicycle than use their brakes. Because races and other events on public roads cause traffic jams, slowing blue light services down. Wait until you are cardiac arresting in an ambulance on a Sunday morning and the journey time to hospital is ten minutes longer because of the congestion caused by a bicycle event.

The whole sport, eventing and training, needs confining, as motorcycle sport is.

Because fast bicycles are dangerous.
Because not all cyclists on racers remember that they are sharing the road. There are a number of MAMILS where I live (560km of bicycle paths in the city where I live, and they are busy lanes) that appear to be training, trying to keep their average speed up and would rather shout to tell me to get out the way on my bicycle than use their brakes. Because races and other events on public roads cause traffic jams, slowing blue light services down. Wait until you are cardiac arresting in an ambulance on a Sunday morning and the journey time to hospital is ten minutes longer because of the congestion caused by a bicycle event.

The whole sport, eventing and training, needs confining, as motorcycle sport is.

Now, now Rich. You live in France where cycling is regarded much more highly than in the UK. I suggest you show up at the local mairie for a boi of reprogramming.

Now, now Rich. You live in France where cycling is regarded much more highly than in the UK. I suggest you show up at the local mairie for a boi of reprogramming.
I might. One shouted at me last summer because my kids were not cycling in a straight enough line for him along the Bruche canal path. We do a lot of cycling here. It is our primary form of transport. But the racers need to take it elsewhere.

As a road biker, there is no way I would ride fast on a bike path where there might be pedestrians or recreational riders. Much too dangerous.

Far better for them to ride on the road i would have thought. French Car drivers are very respectful of cyclists too.

Not much respect here between different modes of transport.

An ageing road system/bad roads and a lot of traffic doesn't help. Add generally high stress levels due to long working hours (also partly due to the UK's lagging transport infrastructure) and you can see why things are as they are.

Luckily many councils are now cycling friendly so things will get better for these road users.

Motorists not so much.

May I add as a cyclist and ex-professional motorist that the most dangerous cyclists are imho the ones in dark clothing, no lights, all over the road, probably often opportunity thieves or p****d students.

Beware Uni towns.

In the 1950s and 1960s cycle clubs used to use decommissioned WW2 airfields for races and time trials.

The trouble is that they dug all the airfields up and used the concrete to make roads...

In the 1950s and 1960s cycle clubs used to use decommissioned WW2 airfields for races and time trials.

The trouble is that they dug all the airfields up and used the concrete to make roads...
Mallory Park race circuit is used by local clubs for races, or TTs, I'm not sure of the differences. Often when I turn up early for a motorbike track day they are puffing around the track.

An ageing road system/bad roads and a lot of traffic doesn't help. Add generally high stress levels due to long working hours (also partly due to the UK's lagging transport infrastructure) and you can see why things are as they are.

Luckily many councils are now cycling friendly so things will get better for these road users.

Motorists not so much.

May I add as a cyclist and ex-professional motorist that the most dangerous cyclists are imho the ones in dark clothing, no lights, all over the road, probably often opportunity thieves or p****d students.

Beware Uni towns.
I agree with all of this, totally mirrors my experience.

In this increasingly risk averse world we need more organ donors.... let them go faster. :cool:

A doctor friend used to keep a supply of donor cards in his vehicle. Based at Guys, but needing to drive between London hospitals and clinics he often found motor cycle couriers tearing past only to catch them at the next traffic lights. As he pulled alongside he would smile before offering a card.

Silly.

Cars are much, much more dangerous, as are stairs and dogs.
As a road biker, there is no way I would ride fast on a bike path where there might be pedestrians or recreational riders. Much too dangerous.

Far better for them to ride on the road i would have thought. French Car drivers are very respectful of cyclists too.

But here there are MAMILS on the cycle paths, keeping their average speed up.

Yes, they really are. Motorists, pedestrians, leisure cyclists and us commuter cyclists get on great. But some MAMILS spoil the harmony.

Motorists not so much.

Beware Uni towns.
I live in a French uni town. Racing cyclists here are the primary menace. We are blessed with beautifully surfaced and marked cycle paths. Some MAMILS use them to go fast without risking being hit by cars.

advertisement

Back