advertisement

“Mobile” speaker repairs Sussex?

jamington2004

pfm Member
Anyone know of repairers who will come to me? My local shops require me to leave the speakers with them for several weeks while they get to them which I don’t really want to do. (And manufacturer is ART Audio in Scotland - with me in Portslade!)

Seems like I have an issue with my the cross overs or tweeter which is outputting quite a few db lower than the other speaker from 2khz up, after measuring (tried swapping cables at the amp end and same issue with the speaker. Also tried measuring up close to be sure it wasn’t the room on that side)

this pic shows the problem speaker - the good one stays pretty in line width the target curve in yellow all the way to 20k

https://share.icloud.com/photos/054YnyGR7wLI09gMnbHWkkImw

If I were you I would do a little bit of detective work first.
Have you swapped the main lh speaker with the rh main unit (bass units remain in place), does the problem "go" with the speaker unit? or, is it room related?

If the level issue stays with one main unit, then assuming that the tweeters themselves are both working correctly you must have less voltage reaching the tweeter on the problem unit suggesting an issue in the crossover.
Try and find out what the tweeter units are and if they are the same in both speakers! (someone may have replaced a broken tweeter in the past)
I think you will find the tweeters are a standard model from seas, scan speak, vifa or dynaudio with a special waveguide fitted by "art".

After you have established that both tweeters (take a photo of the wiring and other details when they are out) are the same, screw them back in.
Now remove the bass units and if possible remove the crossover boards inside the speaker housing, take a photo of both boards and check if the same value resistors are used in both crossover boards.
If everything is the same on both speakers units and crossover boards then the most likely cause of the problem is a bad solder joint which increases the resistance in the wiring to the tweeter reducing the output level.

(the crossover point mid/tweeter may be around 2kHz)

Wow thanks a lot for the suggestions and offer of taking a look at some photos. I’ll get my screwdriver out :)

I am sure it’s not the room but I didn’t actually swap speakers over - I guess I’ll do that to remove all doubt. Just being lazy but imagine if I am wrong that would save a whole lot of time!

I just put the speaker wires directly to the top units (instead of to the bass units with jumpers from there) - just to discount the bass units wiring / cross overs being any issue.

Will try shortly thanks again

Last edited:
@cpg Any advice on how to get the driver out?
I took out the holding bolts but it seems like it’s glued, or maybe just super tight as they are probably 15 years old?
I don’t see any other way to get inside to must a case of prying them off somehow?

Thanks for any advice before I do some damage :)

I’ll keep trying

But generally speaking it would be unheard of to glue the surrounds in place if that’s the way to get inside right?

I think the repair shop can work it out anyway if I don’t hear back from Art :)

I think the repair shop will also want to know how the woofers are fixed in position!
Wait until you have a reply from art before woofers removal.

Very annoying, however damage to the painted enclosures will be even worse than the issue you have now.

I showed him a photo while picking up my subwoofer and he said they can be glued sometimes to further secure them from vibrations and may need carefully prying off. He’s a seasoned gent who’s probably seen it all before :)

Nonetheless I’ll try Art again next week

advertisement

Back