advertisement

“Home schooling”

Help develop their musical tastes.

this, there are some fantastic Drill Music videos on YouTube, along with Grime, Drum'n'bass, UK Drill, mumble rap, garage, trap, reggaetón. Plenty of music for the youth to engage with.

7 & 9 year olds are the perfect age for learning how to cook / bake.

Make biscuits or fairy cakes. Or teach them how to boil an egg? Kids love cooking, and teach them how to wash-up and dry the dishes whilst you are at it.
Exactly this. You can build a camping stove before they start too. I had a great morning building a penny stove with a mate's daughter, for which you need 2 soft drinks or beer cans, a sharp tool (eg nail) and normal household scissors. And a penny. Coat hangers or bike spokes make a pot stand. The little girl in question, who might have been 9 or 10, then boiled an egg which she pronounced delicious.

In the afternoon, nature table. What are worms, where do they live, what do they eat? What eats them?

Tomorrow, write a story about a worm or other small animal that has an adventure.

Older children - Science: Action of surfactant chemicals, including soap, on microorganisms including viruses.
Personal and Social Education: The nature of society's response to threat, at an individual and group level, and the role of popular media.
History: The Great Plague of London. Causes, effect and resolution.

Write on both sides of the paper. You may consult the internet. Extensive copying and pasting of Wikipedia pages can and will be detected, such sections will not count towards your final mark unless evidence of independent thought is shown.

That should work.

In the UK, most of the work done each year is front loaded - you basically learn the most in the first term, with probably the first half of the second term giving you the rest of the information. I'd suggest that it's unlikely they will miss anything deeply important if they are away for a number of weeks from now, and realistically, schools are going to be expecting much absenteeism at the moment (and might be thankful that they kids aren't there) and will be adjusting their courses knowing that this has happened.

We are fortunate in the UK to have very few natural disasters, but the rest of the world seems to cope with kids routinely missing school due to all sorts of natural disasters, so i'd not fret.

As has been pointed out, it's a great opportunity to spend time on other stuff, like cooking, making things, nature, sport, etc. The great outdoors is an excellent place to be, so why not take them on some walking treks? Chances are in years to come they will look back on this as a golden time in their childhood.

BTW, my 19 year old is going into college today and collecting up all the coarse work/files off their network he'll need to do stuff from home, and is expecting this to be his last day for quite some time.

BTW, my 19 year old is going into college today and collecting up all the coarse work/files off their network he'll need to do stuff from home, and is expecting this to be his last day for quite some time.

why does he need to go in to collect that stuff. Every college round here allows external access to online materials, as do we (an HEI)

Thanks all, some great ideas here I wouldn't have thought of.

Has their school acted to close or have you made the decision yourselves?

I think I’ll have to pull my daughter out after this week.

We're expecting all schools to close shortly so are taking the initiative. I have an autoimmune thing which doesn't officially put me in the vulnerable group but experience tells me that some viruses can send my body haywire, so being cautious. Too late, probably: their friends are showing symptoms so...

Next: skinning a squirrel.

SWMBO is a FE lecturer, she’s been putting all her lessons on the colleges remote learning portal and even if college is closed, she will be available on line during lesson times for student interaction, it won’t be an extended holiday.

My youngest daughter’s school seems to have a similar system in place for setting and checking homework etc when a pupil is off sick etc.

this, there are some fantastic Drill Music videos on YouTube, along with Grime, Drum'n'bass, UK Drill, mumble rap, garage, trap, reggaetón. Plenty of music for the youth to engage with.

or you could develop their musical tastes...

I'd wait for advise from the school. When School restarts they might just restart lessons from where the teacher left off and you don't want your kids to be in the position covering stuff they've already covered with you. Personally I'd be press ganging them into forced labour cleaning the house, digging the garden then renting them out in the local community for cleaning chimneys

I'd wait for advise from the school. When School restarts they might just restart lessons from where the teacher left off and you don't want your kids to be in the position covering stuff they've already covered with you. Personally I'd be press ganging them into forced labour cleaning the house, digging the garden then renting them out in the local community for cleaning chimneys
Yes, it's more just a matter of giving them a schedule. The older one can get a bit anxious.

first test broadcasts of lectures on Friday went well. First had about 125 students and the second just over 200.

Schools will have contingency plans to deal with extended closure during a pandemic, which will be being revised to deal with the reality. Your 9 year old can just watch Scooby Doo, loads to learn there, you may need to pay attention to KS1 SATs preparation for the 7 year old.

why does he need to go in to collect that stuff. Every college round here allows external access to online materials, as do we (an HEI)

Yeah, the problem is a project he is working on stored on a workstation in the studio, he's got hours of audio he needs to get home...

..and the kids will learn useful phrases like (copied from youtube):

"Never seen man suck off Headie 1 anymore"

and

"Boy you fully just bum 410, headie, k-trap and unknown T"

Just start the kids with Birth Of The Cool and the Prestige albums and slowly work forward from that point. They will end up with a vastly better education than I ever achieved at a state secondary school in the ‘70s, that is for sure. Obviously there is also a huge backdrop of state oppression, segregation and civil-rights activism to explore too. If you must teach the poor things maths then explaining the investment potential of original US ‘6-eye’ pressings is the way forward.

advertisement

Back