advertisement

“Home schooling”

Seanm

pfm Member
My 7 and 9 year olds will be off from tomorrow until ? We won’t be homeschooling exactly but will want to keep them busy. Any one have any experience or ideas?

Not exactly home schooling but in the scorching hot summer of '76, our teacher Mr McLoughlin had us spending most afternoons on the school field drawing nature.

I've got a degree and secured gainful employment for the last 38 years so can't have been all bad...

There are plenty of free downloadable worksheets out there at various levels. I have used quite a few maths ones, as extra work for my 11 year old. A quick Google should throw up things to start with.

Also, your local library (if you have one/ if it's open) can be a good resource.

Some schools will have on line resource but at such a young age I wouldn’t massively worry. Make sure they keep reading, regular library visits. Only two weeks till Easter Holiday

If you can, set up morning 'sessions' of 2 to 3 hours and split between maths (what they're currently covering at school), English (any writing/vocab/basic punctuation and grammar/comprehension etc. exercises) and occasional atlas/map work for geography. You can devise some 'find the place' games with directions and pointers. Maybe a bit of history if you have age suitable resources. Basic science should be added if poss.

I'm long retired, and used to make up much of my own material, but as said above, on-line stuff is abundant now. Bit of reading after lunch and that's the school day !

I am a teacher who should from today teach from home.
Trouble is, I have zero experience, and we have nothing to work with or on, in spite of the President's reassuring anouncements.
Our school has no online resources—this was planned for next schoolyear.
And as yet I have no information from our local Education Authority—three days after the decision.

Teach the kids the joy of listening to music. Help develop their musical tastes.

Good point. There is a topic running now about the 30 days free digitalconcerthall subscription. They have an educative program and educative videos. I have teached my kids recognizing all the instruments by using the digitalconcerthall.

This all does not apply if you are not in classical music I'm afraid ...

Teach them about permaculture and how to survive in a world where the economy has turned to shit and gangs of miscreants roam the streets looking for the weak on which to prey..... that is the likely future either because of this virus or climate change. HTH :D

My 7 and 9 year olds will be off from tomorrow until ? We won’t be homeschooling exactly but will want to keep them busy. Any one have any experience or ideas?

Has their school acted to close or have you made the decision yourselves?

I think I’ll have to pull my daughter out after this week.

Teach them about permaculture and how to survive in a world where the economy has turned to shit and gangs of miscreants roam the corridors of Westminster looking for the weak on which to prey..... that is the likely future either because of this virus or climate change. HTH :D

FIFY

7 & 9 year olds are the perfect age for learning how to cook / bake.

Make biscuits or fairy cakes. Or teach them how to boil an egg? Kids love cooking, and teach them how to wash-up and dry the dishes whilst you are at it.

7 & 9 year olds are the perfect age for learning how to cook / bake.

Make biscuits or fairy cakes. Or teach them how to boil an egg? Kids love cooking, and teach them how to wash-up and dry the dishes whilst you are at it.

Funny! We have just started the cup-cake challenge.

Tes.co.uk has a massive resources bank attached.

Don’t worry too much in the first instance, most other kids will be off soon I’m sure

advertisement

Back