advertisement

“amazon prime” scam calls

I got a call 10 days ago from Mercedes Benz finance asking why I hadn't returned my lease car - an SL500 that was overdue. As she was "in Santa Monica, California" and I clearly wasn't we went 'off-script' very early on and she just faltered at every question I had for her, eventually she hung up. It was my direct line at work, but given that my email signature contains that number they could have got it from anywhere.

the numbers they call are very often random, or sequential. Currently we are getting them for domestic appliance warranties, Gas supply, amazon, broadband, Sky Kit, amazon and HMRC. Having two lines into the building, one for work, one private, it is suprising how quickly they get from one number to the other.

I got a call 10 days ago from Mercedes Benz finance asking why I hadn't returned my lease car - an SL500 that was overdue. As she was "in Santa Monica, California" and I clearly wasn't we went 'off-script' very early on and she just faltered at every question I had for her, eventually she hung up. It was my direct line at work, but given that my email signature contains that number they could have got it from anywhere.
That seems a bit specific for a scam call. Or are SL500s statistically the most likely to be returned late, perhaps?

Not Amazon Prime but Netflix this time. So convincing,

onPasKe.jpg

the numbers they call are very often random, or sequential

Why bother paying for numbers when a computer will do all the dialling graft for you. It wouldn't be difficult to build a list of numbers that don't connect to be ignored next time round. The human beings are only required when you press "1" as requested.

We have had several of these Amazon prime calls too & we dont even have it.
The latest scam Im getting by e mail is that my Direct Debit for my TV licence hasnt been renewed and falls due tomorrow.
In fact my TV licence isnt up until end of Oct so watch ouy for that one.

If I'm not too busy I press 1 and see how much of their time I can waste.

Did quite well with the last fake Amazon one, got escalated to a supervisor, then back to the first operator. I was having trouble typing the TeamViewer URL she gave me. I asked her to verify her identity, as you know, there are so many scams out there. We were working on that, and I asked, out of interest, where are you based? London she said. How's the weather? Click ...

Tim

I had one of those calls a week or so back, whilst I was enjoying my wake-up tea first thing in the morning
I was initially fooled by it until the guy asked me to log on to my Amazon Account.......I mainly use my i pad
He seemed insistent that I use a laptop instead
When I queried why I couldn’t do what he wanted via my i -pad, he started getting abusive which quickly led to the call being terminated
I then immediately contacted Amazon who assured me it was a scam

Not a pleasant way to start the day.....

simon

Since the dog (while a puppy) chewed through the phone cable from the junction box, we’ve not been bothered by scam calls. As everyone we know uses our mobile phone numbers to reach us, this has not been an inconvenience. I’ll get around to replacing the cable some time, but no rush. The dog is 4 later this year.

I have had a call weeks ago. Also recieved an e-mail which looks very much offical amazon. Click here to up-date your details. I ignored the e-mail. At the amazon.uk my details are correct with nothing needing up-dated.

Sort of the opposite happened with me. Just as lockdown began, I had an email from Amazon saying that they had successfully changed the mobile phone number linked to my account (which I hadn't asked them to do). I Ignored the email, thinking it was a scam. Then I received another email from Amazon, saying that 'suspicious activity' had been noticed on my account, which had therefore been locked. So their first email hadn't been a scam; someone had changed the mobile phone number linked to the account. Because of lockdown it took ages to contact a human being at Amazon, get the account unlocked and sort out the log-in details.

But I do still get the phone calls about Amazon Prime, and continue to ignore them, along with any calls supposedly from my 'internet provider'.

...I do still get the phone calls about Amazon Prime, and continue to ignore them, along with any calls supposedly from my 'internet provider'.
I had a scam call on my landline from my ‘internet provider’ recently and I gave the woman a really, really hard time. I kept asking her to prove herself by giving me details about my account and she said (of course) that she wasn’t allowed to. After a few minutes I told her my ISP only used my mobile number and hung up midway through her reply.

Shortly afterwards I picked up my mobile and saw an SMS sent a few hours earlier by my ISP saying ‘we will be contacting you this morning on your landline regarding your recent fault.’

advertisement

Back