advertisement

“amazon prime” scam calls

hifinutt

hifinutt
Just a post to warn that some are losing money to this scam. i am getting a lot of calls daily from this and nearly fell for it

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect
To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/amazon-prime-renewal-scam-phone-call/

Not just Amazon - we have had several calls referencing our broadband. All fraudelent. And some text messages too.

Had several of these calls , also automated message cad say your Amazon prime account will be closed if you do not pick up as well as the above . I ignore all this as I do not have an Amazon account ! so they must be using a list of contacts they have been sold

I get these irritating spam calls to the landline very regularly, sometimes multiple times a day. Other variants being something about Microsoft Windows support, something about an ISP. The irritation is they seem to have learned how to spoof the sender-ID and many appear to originate from the UK despite no doubt being the usual offshore spam crap (I never pickup international calls or ones with hidden ID unless I’m actually expecting something).

Basic rule is if you get an unexpected call from someone you don't know, either don't answer it or sack it off. If it's legit they will leave a message or send a letter.

Funny how the scammers moved from banks to other stuff. By far I get more Amazon related scam emails than others. Then eBay.

Same here I keep getting an automated message saying £600 pound has been spent on Amazon , you could easily see people falling for this. Someone is making a pretty penny selling details emails phone numbers etc to these scammers.

Same here I keep getting an automated message saying £600 pound has been spent on Amazon , you could easily see people falling for this. Someone is making a pretty penny selling details emails phone numbers etc to these scammers.
Yes. Selling personal data should be illegal

Hi, as i understand it, cold calling to sell you something , is illegal is this country, so they have swerved around this law, by asking you if you have time to take a quick survey. after a few obvious, price related, questions, and if you are still on the line to them, then softly come's the hard sell, i reply that it is, and has been for a while, illegal to cold call someone, and i am going to report them to the ombudsman, then they hang up, and never call back again, seems to work for me, Also did you know that your own town council, will sell your details on, shocking but very true, and these are the people elected by you, that are supposed to keep you safe,,

My neighbor recently had one of these Amazon Prime calls . He hasn't even got a computer or broadband, which suggests that these calls are targeted randomly like @hifinutt says.

We just let the answerphone take any calls. As others have said, legit callers will leave a message. Phone rings once or twice a day but no-one leaves a message.

Mick

If you have the time then play along with the caller - if they are talking to you then can not be hitting on a vulnerable person. You will have won when the caller gets abusive with you and tells you to get lost and to stop wasting his time.

We've had the Amazon call 3 times now. As said above just hang up. I have to admit though that the number of nuisance calls we're getting has dropped by 90% over the last couple of years, they were rife for a while. Just the Amazon calls now and they have gone a bit quiet.

Always easy to be smug and a smart arse I know, but I am baffled how when you hear that Dalek voice and the waffle about 39.99p why you'd continue with the call and pass over bank details. No legit firm calls you like this talking money.

I don't answer if I don't recognise the number anyway, and certainly not if the screen is blank. Although these calls were picked up when Mrs was in and she thought it may be work associated.

But you could possibly see how an elderly person might panic if they hear a voice saying there has been a unauthorised payment of £600 has been taken from the account. They are more trusting , not worldly wise to these scams. I doubt they would continue making the calls if everyone used common sense . Must be an earner for the thieving conniving scum.

its fun when you get these calls, and they ask for you by name or the owner of the house, to say hold on you will go and get them, then just leave the phone off the hook, for ten minutes, i'm not sure because they have called you, that they cannot make another outgoing call, until you hang-up

Just a post to warn that some are losing money to this scam. i am getting a lot of calls daily from this and nearly fell for it

An automated scam call is impersonating Amazon Prime, telling victims their subscription will be ‘renewed’ for £39.99. Here’s what you need to watch out for.

We’ve been made aware of an automated scam phone call designed to trick Amazon Prime customers into connecting with a fraudulent ‘account manager’.

It’s similar in tactics to the ‘Visa fraud department‘ call, which also instructs victims to ‘press 1’ to be connected.

From here, it’s highly likely scammers will attempt to extort bank details and/or personal data from you.

Amazon Prime scam: what to expect
To find out exactly what you need to watch out for, I spoke with Craig, a member of the public who received the call on his landline earlier this month.

He was told by an automated voice that this was a ‘reminder’, and that his Prime account was being renewed at a cost of £39.99.

It went on to tell him that he should ‘press 1’ to speak with an ‘account manager’.

Craig is indeed an Amazon Prime customer, however he’s never associated his home number with his Prime account. This would suggest that the scam is targeting members of the public at random, rather than Prime customers directly.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/amazon-prime-renewal-scam-phone-call/
Bloody hell I fell for it..almost. Automated call this morning to landline . I pressed ‘one’ as I did need to cancel Prime after free trial. Noisy Indian call centre where a woman kept calling me ‘luv’ and instruction to go to App Store and enter text which I only stopped because I couldn’t make out what the hell she was saying and I could cancel online. I hung up in frustration then cancelled online. It was plausible because I knew my months free trial was up.

Has anyone ever received a legitimate phone call from Amazon? Why would they use precious, expensive resources doing that? Large tech companies are set up to communicate with customers as little as possible.

advertisement

Back