advertisement

‘Sim Only’ Contract Advice

I changed from ID mobile to Asda mobile. Asda now uses Vodaphone network. I have 5gb for £7/m. If you select a deal for 3 months, you get double data. So if you buy 3gb for £5, you get 6gb (at the moment, not sure how long this deal will go on for).

I changed for the flexibility of changing up and down, depending on what I need. When going away in the UK, I switch up to unlimited data for a month, and set up a hotspot, so my wife and son can use the data if there is no or poor WiFi, which works well for me.

I'm on sim only with Giff Gaff, never had any issues with them.

I don't think you need to worry about 5G as the iPhone won't have it anyway.

Short codes are used by businesses to send text messages to/from customers, it’s a method using numbers to send more texts in a shorter period of time than full english messages and they are less likely to be blocked as Spam, although you could argue it’s actually Spam in many cases. They let you respond by texting a few characters like when you give a tenner to charity or vote for some TV show.

Thanks

So absolutely useless information in my situation.

I I just moved from O2 to Lebara (vodafone). Unlimited mins & texts, roaming, 5GB + 5G + 100 mins to overseas for 1.99/ month for five months, then £5.90 after that. One month contract.

Yep.

That is what I have just signed up for.

Thank you all for the help.

Thanks

So absolutely useless information in my situation.
Not something I’ve ever worried about when sorting my own or business mobiles out, just go for the best deal you can find, I went O2 as we have limited choice due to location it’s them or Vodafone for me, prefer sticking with one of the biggies, so far O2 support has been a lot better than Vodafone, ymmv.

Good luck getting sorted and back to spinning the LPs :)

Take a look at your broadband supplier. Often they have good SIM deals for current customers, e.g. half price on Plusnet

Take a look at your broadband supplier. Often they have good SIM deals for current customers, e.g. half price on Plusnet

Our next mission is to ditch our broadband suppler - ‘ Virgin’ and find a different one.

I didn’t want to be tied to one company.

Anyhoo - all sorted now thanks all.

Do you need to notify current supplier in my case
Virgin mobile now out of contract or is this done automatically when buying new deal ( only ever been with Virgin )

Do you need to notify current supplier in my case
Virgin mobile now out of contract or is this done automatically when buying new deal ( only ever been with Virgin )
If you want to keep your mobile number you need to get a pac code from Virgin, sometimes you simply send a text to get it, when you sign up to the new provider there’s an option to use the pac code, you’ll get a new SIM with a number on it, 5 days or so later your old number will take over the SIM and you’re all set.

Ok thanks for clarification. Will I need to contact bank to cancel dd or does that also finish automatically
The DD should be cancelled and a partial refund applied. It’s a lot less onerous switching mobile, leccy, broadband etc. these days.

How do I check that I can get a good signal?

This is a key question. Another one is the quality of the service generally. My advice to you is to NOT commit until you have checked for a month. I have been caught out with a poor signal which would keep on cutting out in the middle of calls, and a poor service (it would ring for like 10 seconds before going to voicemail, and they couldn't change it. A big company, whose name I'd better not mention. I was stuck with it for 18 months.)

This is a key question. Another one is the quality of the service generally. My advice to you is to NOT commit until you have checked for a month. I have been caught out with a poor signal which would keep on cutting out in the middle of calls, and a poor service (it would ring for like 10 seconds before going to voicemail, and they couldn't change it. A big company, whose name I'd better not mention. I was stuck with it for 18 months.)

monthly contract, so no problem.

Smarty user here which uses Three, walk-on walk-off with competitive prices and plans and data rolls over. Dipped a toe with my own then added more for the family. At home it typically uses vowifi anyway.

Lebara (Vodaphone) Sim arrived today.

I think I have done the code things to keep my number, PAC whatever.
It isn’t instant though, so can’t check it works until tomorrow when it should swap over from Virgin.

The old iphone SE has a signal though, which seems a positive thing. Managed to find the old box with the tiny hoodiddy paperclip jobby to get the tiny Sim card out.
Once it works, then I think I need to check that the Virgin mobile account is closed.

advertisement

Back