advertisement

‘Sim Only’ Contract Advice

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
I have an old version iphone SE which I purchased from new.

Been with Virgin Sim only contract for years - currently £7.10 for calls/texts and 2gb of data which rolls over.
I rarely use data, but 2 to 4gb is useful when we go on holiday, looking up the weather etc.

I have no intention of changing my mobile phone.

The coverage here is okay, not outstanding, but adequate.

Virgin are putting up their prices, including broadband (another story) so I wish to leave Virgin and get another Sim Only contract.

Any pointers/useful advice?

I have no intention of using 5G. We don’t have a landline, so efficient Sim is essential.

I have looked at comparison sites, but soon get lost in the jargon and offers.

Please keep it simple, I struggle with technical terminology.

thank you.

I moved from Vodafone to O2 who are less than half what Vodafone wanted me to pay, apparently after you are out of the Term they can increase to whatever they want. I kept my number using the PAC code port method, when you sign up with O2 it will ask if you want to keep your Virgin number.

12 Month contract, Unlimited calls and texts, 5GB Data - £6/month

Offer
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/sim-only/networks/o2/

Direct Link
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/package-o...5_1644060173_1268b10460979391cf670f4274cafd76

Virgin Mobile don't have their own infrastructure. They are what is known as a virtual supplier.
They piggyback off of Vodafone's infrastructure.

If you are changing network to another virtual supplier check that you can get a good signal. For example Plus Net uses EE infrastructure, if you wanted to move to PlusNet check you can get a good EE signal.

checkout what offers are available at the supermarket, both Asda and Tesco are virtual operators.

Ultimately you are always going to get price rises. My Virgin Media has just gone up, buy I accept it as their broadband provision is excellent

Virgin Mobile don't have their own infrastructure. They are what is known as a virtual supplier.

If you are changing network to another virtual supplier check that you can get a good signal. For example Plus Net uses EE infrastructure, if you wanted to move to PlusNet check you can get a good EE signal.

checkout what offers are available at the supermarket, both Asda and Tesco are virtual operators.

Ultimately you are always going to get price rises. My Virgin Media has just gone up, buy I accept it as their broadband provision is excellent

How do I check that I can get a good signal?

Used to be on Vodafone, now on Lebara, which runs on Vodafone network. Deal through money saving expert, unlimited calls and texts with 5GB is £5.99 a month, can change any time. Excellent service.

That was my understanding, but according to the OFCOM site, they now use EE.

I use Virgin mobile and that's the first I've heard about it. :confused:

EDIT: Done some digging, and it seems they're using both at the moment. Depends when you took out your contract and whether or not you're on 5G.

Used to be on Vodafone, now on Lebara, which runs on Vodafone network. Deal through money saving expert, unlimited calls and texts with 5GB is £5.99 a month, can change any time. Excellent service.

This looks like the winner so far. showing up as £5.95 a month on Uswitch.

more to the point >

I didn’t understand what the comment that you made meant as well.
Short codes are used by businesses to send text messages to/from customers, it’s a method using numbers to send more texts in a shorter period of time than full english messages and they are less likely to be blocked as Spam, although you could argue it’s actually Spam in many cases. They let you respond by texting a few characters like when you give a tenner to charity or vote for some TV show.

I I just moved from O2 to Lebara (vodafone). Unlimited mins & texts, roaming, 5GB + 5G + 100 mins to overseas for 1.99/ month for five months, then £5.90 after that. One month contract.

Do you need to use it in Europe? If so, O2 (includes Tesco) and Virgin can work out a bit cheaper in use but factor in the whole year cost taking account the monthly charge and any (often substantial) cash back available if/when you switch.

my Dad had huge problem dropouts with Lebara, (in North London) swapped back to EE.

advertisement

Back