advertisement

‘One Nation Under A Groove’ Morrissey Protest

Loved The Smiths- up until they cancelled concerts a couple of hours before before they were due on stage- TWICE.:mad:- went home as depressed and angry as Morrisey himself.

Morrissey is a far-right idiot and probably was in some respects in The Smiths, given the way he went on about hating reggae and other black music.

Anything that torpedoes him or gets his fans to question his racist mutterings, like calling the Chinese a subspecies, is fine by me. He's dangerous.

I met Dave Haslam, the DJ/writer who organized the now cancelled protest party, decades ago. According to photographer Steve Double, we stayed around his place in Manchester, while doing an on the road piece with The Butthole Surfers.

There's an interesting opinion piece by Simon Hattenstone in The Guardian about the protest party. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rissey-smiths-tommy-robinson?CMP=share_btn_fb

Haslam has known Morrissey for a long time and 35 years ago invited the singer to his flat in Hulme for cauliflower cheese. Dave says he thought the singer was the poet laureate of unrequited love. But obviously things have changed.

Hattenstone points out Morrissey has in fact been punting rabid ideas since the mid-'80s. The article quotes some of them, including the one below made to Melody Maker in 1986.

“I don’t have very cast-iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 – Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme … Obviously to get on Top of the Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black.”

Being into the racist English Defence League, and ideologically in tune with its founder Tommy Robinson, sums Morrissey up.

Jack

Last edited:
14cf02c646b8bdb88ccb1a4b79b06b94fbe7dbc9_1_320x500.jpg

Morrissey is a far-right idiot and probably was in some respects in The Smiths, given the way he went on about hating reggae and other black music.

Anything that torpedoes him or gets his fans to question his racist mutterings, like calling the Chinese a subspecies, is fine by me. He's dangerous.

I met Dave Haslam, the DJ/writer who organized the now cancelled protest party, decades ago. According to photographer Steve Double, we stayed around his place in Manchester, while doing an on the road piece with The Butthole Surfers.

There's an interesting opinion piece by Simon Hattenstone in The Guardian about the protest party. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rissey-smiths-tommy-robinson?CMP=share_btn_fb

Haslam has known Morrissey for a long time and 35 years ago invited the singer to his flat in Hulme for cauliflower cheese. Dave says he thought the singer was the poet laureate of unrequited love. But obviously things have changed.

Hattenstone points out Morrissey has in fact been punting rabid ideas since the mid-'80s. The article quotes some of them, including the one below made to Melody Maker in 1986.

“I don’t have very cast-iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 – Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they’re vile in the extreme … Obviously to get on Top of the Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black.”

Being into the racist English Defence League, and ideologically in tune with its founder Tommy Robinson, sums Morrissey up.

Jack

Thanks you. He's been like this for decades. Not sure how people forget his supercilious ranting over the years. I recall his hating of black music and musicians way back in the 80s, as a teenager. Could never take him or the Smiths seriously after that. I suspect the feeling is mutual.

Loved The Smiths, have never really liked any of the solo work from either of them but nevertheless I’m still a massive admirer of Jonny Marr as a musician and person. I expect many lead singers are a total PITA for a reason, but the decline of Moz musically and personally has been painful to witness. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt over the years but he’s gone too far now. The Smiths will always be great though!

He was a lovely talker in some great interviews in the early 90's with the likes of Q. I never really got into the Smiths at the time, but I have since come to appreciate them as being pretty much perfect in every way. I have found most of his solo stuff to be pretty mediocre, though. I don't want the fact that he has obviously become a more bigoted racist twunt over the years to affect my appreciation of his musical contributions, but it's difficult not to think about it.

My favourite music by any former member of the Smiths remains Johnny Marr's contributions to Dusk by The The, although he also performed at a couple of great small Bert Jansch gigs I attended, too.

advertisement

Back