advertisement

‘One Nation Under A Groove’ Morrissey Protest

If anyone feels moved enough to get shot of their Smiths collection as a protest, can I have first dibs on your 'Panic' CD45?

Ta.

Party-goers were told to expect “solidarity, love, unity, positivity, reggae, funk, soul and disco”

That sounds infinitely preferable to anything by the Smiths or Morrissey!

That sounds infinitely preferable to anything by the Smiths or Morrissey!

The Smiths were great. One of the best UK bands of the1980s for sure. Of that there is zero doubt. Thankfully I’ve never rated Morrissey’s solo work, I bought the first LP when it came out mainly as it featured Vini Reilly, but eventually sold it on as I never played it (it wasn’t as good as either The Smiths or Durutti Column, so why bother?). As such I’m somewhat puzzled by what has changed Morrissey so much as The Smiths were certainly never right-wing in outlook. It really is very odd. By saying that Mark E Smith went a bit UKIP towards the end too.

PS Here’s my first Smiths album:

4724819204_f79e62d743_b.jpg

Haters are gonna hate!

The Smiths never did anything for me at all. I was maybe 11-14 when they were at the height of their popularity. Back then I was already into some soul, funk and disco as well as the age when I discovered Kraftwerk. So I was on a different musical planet entirely.

The Smiths never did anything for me at all. I was maybe 11-14 when they were at the height of their popularity. Back then I was already into some soul, funk and disco as well as the age when I discovered Kraftwerk. So I was on a different musical planet entirely.

I’ve clearly got a good few years on you, I was in my early 20s and they were quite an influence on the scene we were a part of, the music we were playing etc. For me they were one of those bands where absolutely everything was right, great guitar, bass, drums, really intelligent and funny vocals, great cover-art and marketing etc. They fitted right in with what I liked at the time, which encompassed everything from US hardcore (Sonic Youth, Husker Dü, Minutemenn etc), what was left of the Factory Scene (Durutti Column, New Order), 4AD (Cocteau Twins, Pixies etc). I can’t imagine the ‘80s without The Smiths to be honest, which makes Morrissey outing himself as an utter prick all the more disappointing. Johnny Marr was on C4 News a couple of weeks back obviously cringing at what Morrissey has become. Not his fault obviously, he’s aleays been a really decent bloke, but it does taint the reputation of one of the genuinely great UK indie bands a bit.

Nor me, I was in my 30s and they left me cold then and now.

The Smiths were excellent
Morrissey not so much

In my teens when they arrived
Purchased all of their albums back in the 80's
Easily the most influential & inventive band of the era.
They had a swagger other bands only dreamed of.

I can see why anyone here in their 30's at the time may have a different view, not really aimed at the oldies :D

I became a fan about 10 years ago when a friend gave me the DVD of Morrissey Live at the Manchester Arena. I had always poopooed the success of the Smith's and always thought the song lyrics and playing were very amateurish. But after that DVD I changed my mind completely.

The band was so tight and the song's really connected. My favourites being The First in the Gang to Die and Everyday is like Sunday.

Sometimes its best not to get to besotted by the artist's private life or beliefs as delving too deep always reveals skeletons. Over a lifetime everyone gets a few for the cupboard. Best not to look and just enjoy the music.

The only upside is that Morrissey probably doesn't believe what you accuse him off and is not at heart a racist or a Muslim hater, he just doesn't like the idea of Sharia gaining wider acceptance.

ISTR that's where EDL started.
I've never picked up any unsavory lyrics or thoughts in his music or fans. Unless this changes, I'm just ignoring his politics and enjoying his music. If I could have gone to his show, I sure would have .I reckon its going to be great..... If he made any unsavory comments between songs against Muslims then I would be very surprised and disgusted as its just not appropriate at a music show.

Morrisey? An uninspiring shit who's music I've never liked, and who's recently surfaced politics reinforce my perception he is a talent free zone.

The Smiths were so important to me that I used to go out and buy the 12" singles on the day of release even before hearing them - They never ever disappointed to be honest.
Hearing Morrissey and his scummy politics has tainted the band's legacy for me, I can't rationalize nearly anything that comes out of his mouth these days.

The Smiths were so important to me that I used to go out and buy the 12" singles on the day of release even before hearing them - They never ever disappointed to be honest.
Hearing Morrissey and his scummy politics has tainted the band's legacy for me, I can't rationalize nearly anything that comes out of his mouth these days.

I can still happily separate The Smiths from Morrissey. His increasing political ugliness and right-wing extremism can’t taint the former for me as it is unquestionably him that has changed, not that wonderful body of work made decades ago. I’ve zero intetest in his rather drab and pompous solo work, but the Smiths were, and always will be great.

PS It is pretty obvious from Johnny Marr’s reaction that Morrissey has changed, i.e. this wasn’t bubbling under with The Smiths, it just wasn’t on the radar at all.

I can still happily separate The Smiths from Morrissey. His increasing political ugliness and right-wing extremism can’t taint the former for me as it is unquestionably him that has changed, not that wonderful body of work made decades ago. I’ve zero intetest in his rather drab and pompous solo work, but the Smiths were, and always will be great.

PS It is pretty obvious from Johnny Marr’s reaction that Morrissey has changed, i.e. this wasn’t bubbling under with The Smiths, it just wasn’t on the radar at all.

Never paid any attention to Morrissey's comments regarding black music ('...reggae is vile...' etc etc) at the time he was in The Smiths, just thought typical Morrissey always good for a sound bite - Maybe his comments ran deeper I dunno??

As for his solo stuff, 'Vauxhall & I' I still rate although I haven't played it for a while.

I'm not at all surprised, he's always been a bit of a c***. I preferred the Bunnymen and Joy Division myself-people were already standing in their oxfam shop overcoats and staring down at their DM's long before he came along;-)

I'm not at all surprised, he's always been a bit of a c***. I preferred the Bunnymen and Joy Division myself-people were already standing in their oxfam shop overcoats and staring down at their DM's long before he came along;-)
Always room for those two bands in my house as well, The Smiths though had the best guitarist.

advertisement

Back