advertisement

‘Kickers ®’ Stiffer Than Old Boots!

@Big Tabs I work in Brizzle, so - Oi'll Av the daps, fanks...

https://www.ourdialects.uk/maps/footwear/

Bottom shelf only!

a1674b8cd0f730518fba02033d633a34.jpg

I agree - I went through a couple of pairs of the shoes, and the basic cut of the upper ...is rubbish; the recurve at the back of the heel, below the ankle far, far too far: so utterly shit - it abrades the skin badly. Taking a scalpel to an expensive pair of shoes to relieve it after a week or two - nah; forget that. And that, before they offshored it all / back when DM were ...better than they are now.

I wore DMs throughout the ‘80s as I was a new-wave/indie kid and you had to by law (along with black 501s, obvs). I likely walked far more than typical due to no car, but even so it was shocking how fast they wore out. I remember the soles always cracked open under the ball of the foot after a year or so. I always found the boots more comfortable than the shoes, I think for the reason you describe. In hindsight I don’t think they were ever any good. I know they are a lot dearer, but there’s a lot more wear in say a pair of Timberland. Probably 3 or 4 times more.

@Tony L .. spot on about the sole cracking... & wear life. Once finessed - comfy - but then for workwear I found a lovely brogue from M&S that was comfy like a glove from the off, lasted far longer, and <<1/2rd the price. Sadly, no longer available.

I also spent quite a lot on a pair of boots labelled Caterpillar, 15yrs ago - still have them. Very comfy, very good, hardly worn - except that putting them on is exactly like Spike Milligan's joke about the centipede.

: it takes forever!

Funnily enough, one of the.utmost.most comfortable bits of foot-wear I've ever had, was my last pair of Rigger boots for construction-site PPE. Wish I still had those - but most Tier-1 Contractors no longer permit, on grounds of insufficient ankle support..

I did quite like DM Chelsea boots but the quality is far lower now. Just buy proper shoes. Loakes are a good entry point, Grenson G2 with commando sole are great, Trickers are next level. I have two pairs of Redwing Chukkas, brown & charcoal. Just really nice for every day.

Take good care of your feet.

I despise having to wear formal shoes. If I have to, then Barker are a fine brand of which I have a few pairs including one that has been re-soled.

My preference is for trainers such as these incredibly comfortable Adidas Yeezys:

IMG-7967.jpg

well I would rather not be putting money into that plank but I am assuming they have all been pulled by now?

Unsurprisingly YouTube has a variety of in depth boot analysis channels, of which this is one. It involves killing the boot for science.

PS I’ve been pondering buying a pair of Red Wings for about 3 years now. I’ve just bought a new roof, so they’ll have to wait until I’ve recovered financially a bit, but I’m certainly Red Wing-curious.
I had a pair of Redwing boots similar to the ones in the review but mine had a steel toe. They were very fit for the purpose and very comfortable. I used a lot of boot oil on them to break them in quickly which darkened them up quite a bit. Steel toed boots were required footwear at UPS where I worked sorting packages at night while attending school during the day. I don’t ever recall wearing them outside of work and eventually gave them away years after my UPS stint.

Today, these are more my style of boots which are very comfortable right out of the box and have zero drop which is my scene as far as footwear goes.

https://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589118654565&psc=1

I just sent a pair of those back. Very uncomfortable around my ankles and hideously ugly.

I settled on a pair of zero rise New Balance
The pair of Scotts I have are the originals which are leather around the bottom lower portion and some type of canvas around the ankle and upper portion of the boot. I’m kind of bummed they went with an all leather and all canvas model of that boot. I would likely get the vegan version which I know would be more comfortable based on what I have now.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOBAREFOOT...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932717301899&psc=1

I have a pair of Boroughs that I’ll start wearing more when the sole in my Scotts wear through the very thin layer of heal that’s left. They are lower cut and comfortable around my ankles despite being all camel leather.

https://www.zapatillas-minimalistas.com/en/best-deals/1176-vivobarefoot-borough-5052658005581.html

Last edited:
I bought some Sebago boots back in about 2000ish and couldn’t get on with them, after my father passed away late in 2006 I found some dusty old boots and cleaned them up discovering the Sebago labels and realising I had given them to him. They were now worn in and served me well until about a year ago when they finally had to go.

All purpose winter/casual/chukka boots are the one area of footwear I seem to buy, hope they get comfortable without wearing out but often have to discard and start again. Shoes and sportswear like running shoes and cycling footwear seem to have been much easier to get right with fewer mistakes.

After many years of buying footwear in the hope that the leather would ‘give’ or stretch enough to be comfortable, I now have a rule that if they are uncomfortable on the first try they will always be uncomfortable.

I remind The Wife of this house rule when she is trying to convince herself that some very expensive shoes will be okay after a month. Nope :)

well I would rather not be putting money into that plank but I am assuming they have all been pulled by now?

Totally agree that the guy’s shown himself to be an absolute tool. They were pulled but I read that Adidas will be rereleasing them with all profits going to charity (as they have about a billion dollars worth in stock).

advertisement

Back