advertisement

‘Kickers ®’ Stiffer Than Old Boots!

Just took delivery of my first (last) pair of hi-top Kickers.

kickers-kick-hi-red.jpg

And they are going straight back! :(

The leather is incredibly stiff, and I reckon after a month of wear they wouldn’t be much different, but my ankles would be blistered.
I have had shoes/boots that have stiff leather before, and I have managed to soften the leather with creams, soaking with water and wearing etc. I can tell immediately that these will take many months to be comfortable, if ever.
This is all compounded by my right ankle having a metal plate and several screws around the ankle bone at various angles. all protruding :eek:

I am going to try a pair of soft suede desert boots with crepe sole instead, something wide-fitting and a funky colour - natch.

Anyone else have these issues? Or have an instant (within a week…) cure, that doesn’t involve wearing the boots through the breaking-in process?

The concrete slippers! >
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BMTZ2A/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
They are horrible anyway.

Redwing chuckas are also stiff but are very comfortable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Unsurprisingly YouTube has a variety of in depth boot analysis channels, of which this is one. It involves killing the boot for science.

PS I’ve been pondering buying a pair of Red Wings for about 3 years now. I’ve just bought a new roof, so they’ll have to wait until I’ve recovered financially a bit, but I’m certainly Red Wing-curious.
The Chucka boots are excellent, very hardy but extremely comfortable after a little wear. They have gone up in price though. I think the mocc toes are horrible though.

kneeling.???

Nursing involves a lot of kneeling, crouching etc. for long periods - attending to wounds/dressings, being at the bedside. Footwear needs to be flexible.
Clogs in operating theatres, I.C.U. are popular, but not much use for general Nursing.

The Chucka boots are excellent, very hardy but extremely comfortable after a little wear. They have gone up in price though. I think the mocc toes are horrible though.

Yes, I think the Chuckas would likely be my choice. I don’t want/need anything too heavy.

I despise having to wear formal shoes. If I have to, then Barker are a fine brand of which I have a few pairs including one that has been re-soled.

My preference is for trainers such as these incredibly comfortable Adidas Yeezys:

IMG-7967.jpg

I despise having to wear formal shoes. If I have to, then Barker are a fine brand of which I have a few pairs including one that has been re-soled.

My preference is for trainers such as these incredibly comfortable Adidas Yeezys:

IMG-7967.jpg

They remind me of Sketchers, which look like they are made out of recycled plastic bags…

IME crepe soles don't last very long and can't be easily replaced.

I am looking for a pair of comfy, stylish shoes - not something that will last longer than me :)

The crepe soled shoes I have had before have lasted a few years, and as I have a penchant for Vans shoes (currently I own about 10 pairs of various Vans) then I will be wearing these new ones on rotation with my esoteric stylings!

PS I’ve been pondering buying a pair of Red Wings for about 3 years now. I’ve just bought a new roof, so they’ll have to wait until I’ve recovered financially a bit, but I’m certainly Red Wing-curious.

They come up fairly regularly as a recommendation on Which Boot threads on a 'Merkin motorbike forum I frequent occasionally. A lot of "great-stuff/woudln't dream of buying anything else" feedback (cos American possibly..?) - but equally a not insignificant number of poor reviews citing both lousy manufacturing quality and durability.

No pun intended, but perhaps tread carefully..

Red Wing are fabulous. I have a pair of the Chukkas I wear almost every day, and a pair of Moc-Toes as well. The best shoes I’ve ever had. The Moc-toes took some breaking in, but are truly amazingly comfy. The Chukkas are equally excellent, but going to have a Vibram mini-lug soles put on as I fancy the foreman boot look. Need to be patient and wear decent boot socks.

I think Dr. Martens are overrated.

I agree - I went through a couple of pairs of the shoes, and the basic cut of the upper ...is rubbish; the recurve at the back of the heel, below the ankle far, far too far: so utterly shit - it abrades the skin badly. Taking a scalpel to an expensive pair of shoes to relieve it after a week or two - nah; forget that. And that, before they offshored it all / back when DM were ...better than they are now.

Agree - Ecco works.

Unsurprisingly YouTube has a variety of in depth boot analysis channels, of which this is one. It involves killing the boot for science.

They look great and a friend swears by them. I'd be tempted but I'm trying to (mostly) avoid leather still (I fail on straps for vintage watches..)

I bought a pair of veggie DMs a few years back and didn't really get on with them. Which is weird as I wore them every day from about age 15-30 so either I've changed or they have!

Decent cow-free boots seem thin on the ground...

advertisement

Back