advertisement

‘Great’ Albums that you’ve never listened to?

Boyz 2 men and Shania twian even in the top 500?? OMG!!:eek:

I reckon that some "best ever" polls have far too much input from young 'uns who are not even familiar with the likes of Van Morrison, Frank sinatra, Ella, Miles, Hendrix, Joni, Dylan, Zep, The Stones etc etc and so have no real perspective on the true greats and where they stand in a best ever list.

Many of the young 'uns that I speak to (or used to anyway) do know a bit of that and they also know what's good, but they don't seem to know the time order of 'stuff' so they have no idea of how things developed, what's derivative of what and what was genuinely innovative.

Boyz 2 men and Shania twian even in the top 500?? OMG!!:eek:

I reckon that some "best ever" polls have far too much input from young 'uns who are not even familiar with the likes of Van Morrison, Frank sinatra, Ella, Miles, Hendrix, Joni, Dylan, Zep, The Stones etc etc and so have no real perspective on the true greats and where they stand in a best ever list.
Public Enemy were in their pomp circa 35 years ago so I doubt many youngsters will even know who they are. I don’t care for Dylan but see that many do. Shania Twain was a fantastic piece of marketing.

Many of the young 'uns that I speak to (or used to anyway) do know a bit of that and they also know what's good, but they don't seem to know the time order of 'stuff' so they have no idea of how things developed, what's derivative of what and what was genuinely innovative.

I've known young 'uns who are musos and who know more about say delta blues artists of the 1930's than I do.... and others who claim to not have heard of The Beatles....

The very nature of online polls etc means many more young uns are likely to vote than us old uns and this will tilt the results towards what they are familiar with from the last say 20 years.

I've known young 'uns who are musos and who know more about say delta blues artists of the 1930's than I do.... and others who claim to not have heard of The Beatles....

The very nature of online polls etc means many more young uns are likely to vote than us old uns and this will tilt the results towards what they are familiar with from the last say 20 years.
You are contradicting yourself

I find Led Zeppelin incredibly boring.

I don't find them boring as such . I have a few records for nostalgic reasons as they were played so much by mates during my teenage years but I don't think I've ever played one all the way through: there's a few good moments on each record but that's it for me. A couple of tracks is always enough - in fact the nearest I get to playing a whole side is side 2 of LZ 3 but even then I take it off before Hats off to Harper.

When I was a lad, the likes of Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett were for old codgers only. They became trendy again when I was in my thirties. To this day, the only Sinatra I’ve heard is that Godawful shite of the ‘Something Stupid’ and ‘Strangers in the Night’ variety, and the only Tony Bennett song I know is the one about going to San Francisco with flowers in your hair.

When I was a lad, the likes of Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett were for old codgers only. They became trendy again when I was in my thirties. To this day, the only Sinatra I’ve heard is that Godawful shite of the ‘Something Stupid’ and ‘Strangers in the Night’ variety, and the only Tony Bennett song I know is the one about going to San Francisco with flowers in your hair.

Frank was in a league of his own. It makes me cringe when I see people saying stuff like "yeah Sinatra and Bennett and Sammy Davis... all that stuff..." Sinatra is the only "crooner" I listen to;)

I know what you mean though as whenever I hear a radio DJ say "and now Frank Sinatra singing..." I can kinda fill in the "new york, new york", OR "my way" OR "strangers in the night" (doobey doobey do...) bit!

Try "Sinatra at The Sands" live double album with The Count Basie Orchestra and a very young Quincy Jones as musical director to hear what all the fuss is about;) Now that would be in my "top 10 albums of all time" list and walks it as "best ever live album"!

Nope, No doubt for every young 'un who could name all the songs of Robert Johnson there are 100 who think Justin bieber is really good!
These polls are generally done by magazines that are only read by old farts. I do wonder why the average age is of the Adele fans?

Last edited:
These pills are generally done by magazines that are only read by old farts. I do wonder why the average age is of the Adele fans?

Possession of an Adele record should be punishable under the law! Her "music" is no doubt on continuous repeat in room 101.... and hell... Laughing Leonard would have thought "ha! and they said I was miserable!?"

When I was a lad, the likes of Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett were for old codgers only. They became trendy again when I was in my thirties. To this day, the only Sinatra I’ve heard is that Godawful shite of the ‘Something Stupid’ and ‘Strangers in the Night’ variety...
Then it’s understandable that you don’t like him. When I was a lad (ie the time of some of my very earliest memories) my mum was always playing Frank Sinatra records. He filled my musical years until the Beatles arrived. Some of it stuck. If you really want to listen to great Sinatra in a couple of minutes, try Night And Day from A Swingin’ Affair closely and with an open mind. Then tell me both he and the orchestration aren’t fantastic and - well, I’ll shrug and think ‘at least I tried.’

Frank was in a league of his own. It makes me cringe when I see people saying stuff like "yeah Sinatra and Bennett and Sammy Davis... all that stuff..." Sinatra is the only "crooner" I listen to;)

I know what you mean though as whenever I hear a radio DJ say "and now Frank Sinatra singing..." I can kinda fill in the "new york, new york", OR "my way" OR "strangers in the night" (doobey doobey do...) bit!

Try "Sinatra at The Sands" live double album with The Count Basie Orchestra and a very young Quincy Jones as musical director to hear what all the fuss is about;) Now that would be in my "top 10 albums of all time" list and walks it as "best ever live album"!
‘sings for only the lonely’ is his best album IMV & certainly one of the very best vocal albums of all time.

‘sings for only the lonely’ is his best album IMV & certainly one of the very best vocal albums of all time.

Close! but no cigar... I'll raise you "Sings only for the lonely" and put down "No one cares", with Gordon Jenkins replacing Nelson Riddle here. One of the most wrist slashing albums ever recorded. But achingly beautiful at the same time. It defines pathos. Probably my favourite studio recording by Sinatra. If you are in depression after a relationship break up then do not under any circumstances listen to this record. You have been warned.

And yet he could do the total opposite on such feel good albums as "Come fly with me" and "Come dance with me"!

With Count Basie on "Live at the sands" the swinging-est ever band gets together with the swinging-est ever singer and if you are not at least compelled to click your fingers... and if it doesn't make you jump and prance.... and you have no problem in refraining from singing along... then you are already dead. IMHO:)

Close! but no cigar... I'll raise you "Sings only for the lonely" and put down "No one cares", with Gordon Jenkins replacing Nelson Riddle here. One of the most wrist slashing albums ever recorded. But achingly beautiful at the same time. It defines pathos. Probably my favourite studio recording by Sinatra. If you are in depression after a relationship break up then do not under any circumstances listen to this record. You have been warned.

And yet he could do the total opposite on such feel good albums as "Come fly with me" and "Come dance with me"!

With Count Basie on "Live at the sands" the swinging-est ever band gets together with the swinging-est ever singer and if you are not at least compelled to click your fingers... and if it doesn't make you jump and prance.... and you have no problem in refraining from singing along... then you are already dead. IMHO:)
I have ‘no one cares’ but not played it for ages, you may be right?

advertisement

Back