advertisement

‘Great’ Albums that you’ve never listened to?

and thrice nay. Obviously heard tracks and singles on the radio and stuff but not an album, couldn't name one!

Edit: RE Beatles, nothing pre Rubber Soul interests me, but post that yes pretty much everything.

The way I listen isn't conducive to only knowing one or two tracks as I only play full albums start to finish, so I know 'side two' of everything I own.
I tend to listen to albums so barely register in terms of individual tracks. The most underrated Beatles album is Hard Days Night, it has lots of wonder & is on the cusp of innocence turning into duty.

There are some acts that I just have no interest in, Nick Cave being an example; we are all different.

There are some acts that I just have no interest in, Nick Cave being an example; we are all different.

What I find interesting is how two people can have similar tastes but completely differ on certain artists. You'd think the things they share would draw them to similar artists, like you aren't keen on Nick Cave and I am, yet we probably share more music in common than not!

What I find interesting is how two people can have similar tastes but completely differ on certain artists. You'd think the things they share would draw them to similar artists, like you aren't keen on Nick Cave and I am, yet we probably share more music in common than not!
Yes, I think sometimes when you don’t get an artist from the off it is far more difficult to make the effort as they’ve been churning out records for 30 odd years. I’ve never bothered with Dylan either, just too much effort when I don’t find him remotely interesting.

There are many exceptions to the above like, say, Joni Mitchell & Tom Waits who I only really ‘got’ long after they stopped being productive.

It's all relative. A late friend of mine had thousands of albums and listened to funk, jazz, dance and hardcore punk exclusively. I doubt he could tell Oasis from Van Morrison. I was baffled when I stumbled across a Joe Satriani album in his collection, he had no idea how it ended up there or of ever having listened to it. I think the only vaguely mainstream albums in his collection were a couple of early black Sabbath records.

Can't really comment on Tarzan , Woodface and Seeker's comments since I have never heard it!
Not a jazz fan (too much Aker Bilk and Kenny Ball as a child)

I like it but don’t consider it the towering work of genius that many others do

KOB? I'll vote Towering Work Of Genius.

It's all about Jimmy Cobb's snare crash in the opening of So What though ;-)

When his Kind of Blue involvement inevitably arises in the conversation, and mention is made of his cymbal crash in the opening moments of Miles’ “So What” solo, Cobb chuckles. “Herbie [Hancock] said that’s one of his favorite moments on the album. A lot of people have told me that—I thought it was a mistake at first! I thought it was too loud! But you know, I’ll take it.”

KOB? I'll vote Towering Work Of Genius.

It's all about Jimmy Cobb's snare crash in the opening of So What though ;-)

When his Kind of Blue involvement inevitably arises in the conversation, and mention is made of his cymbal crash in the opening moments of Miles’ “So What” solo, Cobb chuckles. “Herbie [Hancock] said that’s one of his favorite moments on the album. A lot of people have told me that—I thought it was a mistake at first! I thought it was too loud! But you know, I’ll take it.”
I was talking about the act ‘Love’ & the ‘forever changes’ album. I do think KoB is a collective work of genius but I certainly wouldn’t give Miles Davis the majority credit.

I was talking about the act ‘Love’ & the ‘forever changes’ album. I do think KoB is a collective work of genius but I certainly wouldn’t give Miles Davis the majority credit.

My apologies! Yes, I quite like Forever Changes too but it's status as a Towering Work Of Genius has always gone over my head.

That 2020 update of the best 500 songs ever sucks! Lots of complete and utter shite has been added! Kanye west, jay-z, nas, public enemy, wu tang clan, drake etc etc. My 500 worst ever albums would include all those natch. Also things which should be right up at the top (and are in many other "best ever" polls) are way down in the list.... Astral Weeks at only 60? Elvis costello this years model at 121!? and yet shite like michael jackson at 12!
Classic Dylan albums around 250!? and yet shite like public enemy and kenye west at 15 and 17!? I don't know what drugs these people are taking but they can't be good for ya!

That 2020 update of the best 500 songs ever sucks! Lots of complete and utter shite has been added! Kanye west, jay-z, nas, public enemy, wu tang clan, drake etc etc. My 500 worst ever albums would include all those natch. Also things which should be right up at the top (and are in many other "best ever" polls) are way down in the list.... Astral Weeks at only 60? Elvis costello this years model at 121!? and yet shite like michael jackson at 12!
Classic Dylan albums around 250!? and yet shite like public enemy and kenye west at 15 and 17!? I don't know what drugs these people are taking but they can't be good for ya!
Public Enemy are not shite, they were one of the most important acts of the 20th century but I do agree with most of the other hip hop you mention; I don’t dislike the genre but don’t really understand most of the more modern acts especially Kanye.

Public Enemy are not shite, they were one of the most important acts of the 20th century but I do agree with most of the other hip hop you mention; I don’t dislike the genre but don’t really understand most of the more modern acts especially Kanye.

Boyz 2 men and Shania twian even in the top 500?? OMG!!:eek:

I reckon that some "best ever" polls have far too much input from young 'uns who are not even familiar with the likes of Van Morrison, Frank sinatra, Ella, Miles, Hendrix, Joni, Dylan, Zep, The Stones etc etc and so have no real perspective on the true greats and where they stand in a best ever list.

advertisement

Back