advertisement

‘ The little Drummer Girl ‘

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Has anyone noticed how many reel to reel tape decks are used in this BBC drama?
Up to now I haven’t identified any of them...

I have just finished reading the book but as far as I can remember they make very little mention of them in it. Looking forward to watching it on TV and seeing how it compares to the book.

So, R to R and Florence Pugh aside, is this worth watching? His later books are not his best imho. I guess I'm still stuck in the Cold War.

So, R to R and Florence Pugh aside, is this worth watching? His later books are not his best imho. I guess I'm still stuck in the Cold War.

I watched the first episode and gave up on it. Mrs H watched the second episode as well, then gave up on it. It seemed very slow-moving.

My wife gave up on it but I've stuck with it, if only to know who are the baddies and who are the goodies. With the lead man being a Palestinian, it took me ages to work out that he's with the Israelis (I think). It's slow, convoluted, confusing, lacking some credibility and jumps around a lot but otherwise okay !

Some really nice R2Rs there; NABs and 7" reels and a different model each time, it seems.

Yes, it’s beautifully done. The first episode with the jaunt to the Greek Islands reminded me of my own time as a student, it felt very authentic. The characterisations are very rich- I even wondered if old le Carré had had a dalliance with a young actor in real life. Also the absence of technology and instead the reliance on human espionage- that’ll probably be striking to a younger audience.

Yes, it’s beautifully done. The first episode with the jaunt to the Greek Islands reminded me of my own time as a student, it felt very authentic. The characterisations are very rich- I even wondered if old le Carré had had a dalliance with a young actor in real life. Also the absence of technology and instead the reliance on human espionage- that’ll probably be striking to a younger audience.

Don’t you mean young actress ?

Yes, it’s beautifully done. The first episode with the jaunt to the Greek Islands reminded me of my own time as a student, it felt very authentic. The characterisations are very rich- I even wondered if old le Carré had had a dalliance with a young actor in real life.

What, like Shakespeare must have murdered a few kings, smothered his wife, gone mad and given away all his possessions so as to able to provide such rich characterisations of Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello and King Lear?

I like the use of colour in the production, everyone wears strong colours which set the drama off against the grey background. The background music is good too...

What, like Shakespeare must have murdered a few kings, smothered his wife, gone mad and given away all his possessions so as to able to provide such rich characterisations of Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello and King Lear?
Did he ever take the hump?

I just don't get why the female character wants to be involved. Surely in real life she would just tell them all to piss off.

I gave up on it-dreadfully naff and totally unconvincing acting from Ms Pugh totally miss-cast.Great book terrible adaptation.

advertisement

Back