Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

Discussion in 'audio' started by glenda, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dudywoxer

dudywoxer pfm Member

That is a bit of a sweeping generalisation. It depends on the listener, but I can think of a fair number of ''classic'' set ups that would give way to budget new stuff in my system.

2. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

I know of nothing at £800 that will better a Pioneer A400 from 1996 (with fresh caps)

For me I had to buy a Nait XS and a TeddyCap and that's over £1k 2nd hand

A few PFMers have replaced their 282/DTC with that Chevron Pre. If it were my money that's what I would go for and then start with a reasonable DIYed power Amp. The £500 HackerNap that recently sold would have been an awesome purchase. Dodgy leads could strip the life out of the whole thing though.

3. MartMan

MartMan pfm Member

That's good to hear, I stuck and A400 in the cupboard years ago and forgot about it! However, I'm just about to send it off for a turbo-charge.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Icon Audio's entry level integrated valve amp is £600 new. Would leave £100 for something like a Cambridge Audio phono stage.

It's a 15w amp though so it would also depend on speakers, room size etc.

5. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

My money's on Victoria Pendleton. If so, I'd go for a second hand Onix 21S.

6. paul auster

paul auster Banned

Given Glenda's location , my money is on Nicole Cooke .

Oh and NVA .

7. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Yup.

Rega Brio-R, btw.

8. glenda

glenda pfm Member

To conclude this , he has arranged 2 demos . At one dealer , Rega and ex demo Moon(?!) are being auditioned , at the other it's Naim and Creek. He said to thank everyone for their time and advice.
    To end the speculation , the cyclist is Becky James.

Cheers

Tony

9. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Well, his possible future son in law, George North, could certainly afford that given his move to Northampton.

Anyway, just one other option might be a Puresound A10. Not as much grunt as the A30, but sweet sounding nevertheless.

Charlie

10. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

Please post with your findings / experience of the mods ;)

11. arthur

arthur Banned

Indeed, I'm as sceptical as is necessary.

But Creek's reputation is unassailable and John Westlake, who had a hand in the design, is no newcomer.

Add all that to the real measurements from Paul Miller and the Creek seems like a pretty safe bet.

Unchecked cynicism is no good either.

12. MartMan

MartMan pfm Member

Will do, as soon as I get my bum in gear and sort a courier.

I've also kept a pair of Mission 760se. These had a revised crossover and could sound lovely with posh amps, will be interesting to hear any improvements.