Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

Discussion in 'audio' started by glenda, Apr 18, 2013.

1. glenda

glenda pfm Member

Hi folks,

a colleague and friend is approaching his 50th, having his LP12 overhauled and looking for a new amp - probably partnered with some Audio Physic Yara Compacts or B & Ws in a modest sized room.
    He is looking to spend £500 - £800 on a new amp and considering a demo of the Rega Brio , a Creek Evolution 50a or an Arcam . A built in MM phono stage would be an advantage.
    I have lost touch with developments in new kit so am struggling to advise. Can anyone help?
    He is the father of a very famous cyclist by the way - completely irrelevant but I thought that , if I mentioned it , some cyclists / hi fi buffs might be more inclined to provide suggestions.

Many thanks

Tony

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Nait 5i. £800 at a pinch.

None of the above have sideburns though I notice.

3. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

A Rega Brio-R is extremely good value for money, but wilth £700, I'd recommend used or at least ex-demo amps (most ex-demo amps are as new and come with full warranty).
    You could even get a Heed Obelisk, if lucky - fabulous amps

4. Peter Stockwell

Peter Stockwell deep fried and gone

If happy with 2nd hand, Naim 62/110 is a good choice

5. glenda

glenda pfm Member

Thanks for the advice.

I can confirm that his daughter has no sideburns.:D

Tony

6. bennyboyph

bennyboyph pfm Member

For that money, you should be able to find a 2nd hand AVI Lab Series integrated

7. dudywoxer

dudywoxer pfm Member

Exposure 2010s2

8. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

The new Creek Evolution 50A is supposed to be very good and costs £700.

Add £100 if you want a MM phono stage.

Lefty

9. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

NVA integrated?

10. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Arghh, does it really have to be new, I have seen a rega elicit on eBay for £720. It's one of the very best integrates I have heard, the only integrateds I have heard that better it are the Naim supernait and the Rega Osiris.

11. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Assuming you really do mean new only - other contenders are Audiolab 8200A, Rotel RA-12, Cyrus 6a...

What inputs is he after? The Rotel is pretty versatile on this front for example.

Might be worth looking for ex-demo for a good deal if buying from a shop is the aim?

Ultimately make sure he listens before he buys :)

12. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

13. dss

dss Musical Bons

£700 amp advice wanted for friend

I will undercut that and offer advice on a new amp for £500, please PM for payment details is it.

(the answer is a NAD)

DS

14. arthur

arthur Banned

I'll suggest the new Creek 50A.

Has some excellent reviews and is to be made upgradable with a dac card by around June too if required at any point?

And £700 on the nose.

Aha, I see lefty already did so.

15. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

There is nothing new/ mainstream and worth having at that price :-(

...gotta be either 2nd hand or a PFM custom build

Does he need a remote?
    Can it be a pre and power, or is an integrated preferred?
    How many inputs does he require?

Perhaps a Chevron Paradox pre
    http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk/html/preamplifier.htm
    ...and then a £400 ish 2nd hand (poss DIY) power amp from the classifieds - there is a nice NAP 180 going for £350 right now and that's been checked over by MisterC6 and he (Malcolm) really does know what he's doing.

Job done - I don't think you'll better that combo at the price.

Dan

16. glenda

glenda pfm Member

Thanks for all the advice - some of them were very interesting - I think that it has to be a new amp as , hey , it's his 50th birthday.

I know that going used / ex demo makes more sense but it looks like a couple of demos at local dealers is the best current option - if the amp comes with a phono stage , that would be a bonus.

Thanks again

Tony

17. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

Never believe any review you have to listen for yourself.

18. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Tati?

19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

So, who's the cyclist? This will help me advise.

20. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Honestly the new stuff (from a dealer) is rubbish at that price. A better present would be to put together a more 'classic' setup that has been properly thought through. Another thing is that a bad setup can easily ruin the best system.

Also you'll want an external phonostage - The Project phonobox 2 would be my choice