Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£600 to spend on standmount speakers

Discussion in 'audio' started by ossy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. ossy

ossy pfm Member

Am after a pair of involving standmounts for a small room (13m2), or small floorstanders.

Current speakers are quad 11l’s being driven by a quad vena. The quads are ok but not very involving.

On the shortlist are Triangle esprit Titus ez, anybody heard them?

What would you recommend?

2. lordmortlock

lordmortlock Mark Audio drivers and TP4 Cartridges

3. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

hifinutt likes this.
  4. Linds

Linds pfm Member

5. Amber Audio

6. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Once again absolutely no one mentions the Amphion Argon1, work well close to boundaries or in awkward spaces, absolutely superb little speakers that are actually designed for the real world.
    TS

Darren likes this.
  7. Amber Audio

I did actually :) Steve at Ultimate Stream has some black ones for sale, but I decided to hold out for some ProAc or Special 40’s and push the boat, agree they fly under the radar
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=303602106163

8. narabdela

narabdela who?

Well, you just did, in post #6.

9. Amber Audio

The other factor is how easy will it be to shift them on if/when you decide to change things again. Well known/regarded/reviewed stuff is easier to move.

10. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

And if I hadn't no one else will have:)

11. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Will second this. I’ve got some as well. Fantastic speaker and a complete bargain.

lordmortlock likes this.
  12. Linds

Linds pfm Member

Oops. Soz I love my DB1+. I’m PMC-focussed. Always liked the Proacs I heard but I’m trying to avoid changing anything for as long as poss. OMG I’ll be googling Proacs this evening

13. ossy

ossy pfm Member

Previous speakers (prior to quads) were ruark talisman II floor standers. Lovely but bass overpowered the room although put up with this for at least 5 years. I am wary of floorstanders, small standmounts would fit the room better.
    Wife has said ‘I am not having those giant speakers back again’.........:eek:

14. Amber Audio

Have you heard the 3S, curious how that passive radiator alters the sound.

15. Amber Audio

Check out Totem, they do some small footprint speakers Arro/Hawk, heard them with some Arcam amps a while ago should work well with the Vena.

16. synapse

synapse pfm Member

17. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Aren't there some Neat SX3s for sale on these forums?

I'd deffo look at those

What about the usual suspects (KEF LS50s, Monitor Audio Silver 100s, Gold 50s, Dynaudio Emit 20s, PMC DB1i's etc)?

18. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Hi, the Argon 1s actually replaced the 3S in my system. Sound wise the 3S obviously digs deeper and (obviously) sounds "bigger" but ultimately there is surprisingly little in it, you probably won't be surprised to hear they actually sound very similar, they both work extremely well close to boundaries, they have a completely natural & unfatiguing top end which won't grab your attention during a 10 min demo in a hifi shop but will also not make your ears bleed during a long listening session. The biggest difference for me is the 1s have a bit more of that midrange sparkle, that quality that people often mention describing small BBC type monitors (the 3S replaced P3ESRs in my system) which is why I ended up preferring them over there big brothers.
    TS

19. norton

norton Well-Known Member

I have some Proac Reference 8 Signatures
    Like new and boxed
    Also have the Atacama stands with the extra weights in the floor plates
    Pm if interested

20. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Agree, very balanced, big soundstage, room friendly, great all-rounders. The Argon 2 and 3 are a step up, and could be had for the budget s/h. :)

These are better than B&W 805 Sigs, for a lot less dough.