advertisement

£600 System Challenge.

Don’t go 2nd hand, it will like a mismatch & probably need attention. Demon micro system plus Rega P1 & whatever speakers Richer Sounds have on offer.

I'm thinking used, good, old-school 90/00 kit.
That’s all well and good provided it’s all in good working order, if anything is getting tired, you can end up spending a lot more getting it right.

Regarding CD players, do they already have a Blu-ray player? If so, they would probably do well to buy a modern integrated amp with a built in DAC and use their Blu-ray player to spin CDs, the Denon PMA-30 is a lovely thing, also has Bluetooth so they could play music from phones or tablets, and they could hook up their TV too, as suggested elsewhere, top it off with something like a Planar 1 plus and a pair of Q Acoustics speakers, or Dali if they’re preferred. It might break the budget a bit but they’ll be rewarded with a very neat, flexible, reliable and good sounding system.

Last edited:
Do they need streaming (Bluetooth, Airplay etc)? That makes it harder to recommend older amps etc - its much easier to do on modern units. Do they subscribe to spotify or any similar service?

Sevenoaks have the combo below for £508:
  • 1 x Sony PS-LX310BT Bluetooth Turntable (Black)
  • 1 x Denon RCD-M41 (Black) CD/DAB/Bluetooth System (Ex Speakers)
  • 1 x Q Acoustics 3010i (Carbon Black) Speakers (Pair)
Or this for £399, but no BT and you'd struggle to get t/table and CDP for another £200.
  • 1 x NAD C 316BEE V2 (Graphite) Integrated Amplifier
  • 1 x Q Acoustics 3020i (English Walnut) Speakers (Pair)
All that said, I'd be inclined to get an RP1 from a Rega dealer and go to RS/Sevenoaks for the balance of the system.

Get a Rega RP1 from a rega dealer then get the rest from Richer Sounds. My son has an RP1 with the cheapest Cambridge Audio amp and Q Accoustics 3020 and it sounds great.

For the amp: Kenwood 3020SE, and early 90s budget classic. I've been keeping this a secret since a tip off from a wise member of the old HiFi Wigwam recommended it, but it's time to break silence. You should get one for £50-60 and its a great little amp with a decent phono stage. Perhaps with old HB1s, or some small budget Dalis.

I've usually found from "hi fi curious" friends that ultimately the lady of the house insists on bollox like "must all be black/silver" "no things with wood", "must match in width/height" and SQ very soon is bottom of the list and I end up saying "look just buy a one make midi system pal"

Easy (all s/h):
AR EB101 TT ….c£100
Rotel RA02....c£80
Rotel RCD02....c£80
Elac Debut B6.2....c£220
Yamaha WXAD10 for streaming....c£100

I set up the denon dm 41 for some elderly relatives with their lovely old kef, it sounded pretty good and replaced all their separates. 179 from Tyson at the time . It did go into protection mode after a couple of weeks but got fixed. Due to the optical they can use it to play tv into speakers now and get better sound

I think I’d build a system around a Yamaha RN602. Find an ex demo if possible. Built in streaming, phono stage and DAC. Pick up any old CD / DVD player for buttons with a digital output to feed the 602. Rega or Project deck and speakers of choice / budget from Richers or second hand.

The Rega P1 is a no brainer, consider that sorted.

Budget amps haven't really improved much so an older one is fine and you can get one with a phono stage. Creek an excellent choice or a Rotel for half the money.

CD player, whatever they like the sound of or, you could buy a DAC instead. Play CDs via the DVD/BlueRay player and have inputs to spare for the TV, computer, games console etc.

Speakers are such a matter of taste and there are so many options. Go to Richers and pich a pair.

Don't forget cables and speaker stands?

I set up the denon dm 41 for some elderly relatives with their lovely old kef, it sounded pretty good and replaced all their separates. 179 from Tyson at the time . It did go into protection mode after a couple of weeks but got fixed. Due to the optical they can use it to play tv into speakers now and get better sound
had one of these mini denon systems a few years back, i think they're great value for money and sound pretty damn good aswell.

My hifi cost a lot less than £600 and looks and sounds as good as new!
All Rega Clamshell
Planet CD and Mira Amp were £250, IO Dac was £100 which I use as the DAC for an Airport Express and Ifi Spdif ipurifier both bought second hand £100 and Rega Kytes £40.
No turntable but that lot was £490.

I think I’d build a system around a Yamaha RN602. Find an ex demo if possible. Built in streaming, phono stage and DAC. Pick up any old CD / DVD player for buttons with a digital output to feed the 602. Rega or Project deck and speakers of choice / budget from Richers or second hand.
Funnily enough, the Yamaha was another unit I was going to suggest besides the Denon PMA-30, both would be very flexible and prove good VFM... I recommended the Denon because my parents recently put on in their garden bar, along with a pair of Q Acoustics 3020i, it’s really excellent, it doesn’t have a built in phono stage but that wouldn’t be an issue with the Planar 1 plus. The Yamaha is an equally good suggestion.

CA CP1 Phono stage £20( must be selling them off)

Can you link to this (guessing you haven’t seen it in store at this present time!??!) because all I can find is “no longer available” or has it recently been removed from sale - at £20 I was gonna order one myself but can’t find it.

AR EB101 TT ….c£100

Good luck with that. S/h Turntables have got silly expensive in last few years.

advertisement

Back