Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£600 System Challenge.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Apr 23, 2020.

1. So my sister and brother-in-law have had there ageing stack system taken by daughter #1 who has recently moved in with her new partner.

There are wanting an integrated amp,CDP and TT based system with small bookshelf speakers, all for £600... tough call i agree so thought I'd tap your brains for ideas :)

2. Neiro

Neiro pfm Member

In these scenarios I always advise people to go to Richer Sounds, they have never been disappointed.

3. I'm thinking used, good, old-school 90/00 kit.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  4. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Rega Planar 1 plus, Denon DM41 system, and spend what's left on what ever little speakers they like.

5. Neiro

Neiro pfm Member

Yes that what I used to think, but I found that non-audiophiles just want something new, that works, and is warrantied. For years people would come to me and I would recommend classic kit and even service it for them. Invariably there would be issues and in the end they were probably not happy. Now I direct people to Richers and they say wow great shop, really helpful, love the system, thanks for the advice. That's at least a dozen people.

PS not connected with Richers in any way :^)

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

If they are not into the hi-fi hobby, and it does not sound like they are, then I would advise the Richer Sounds route as others have done.

Fatmarley and Dirkster like this.
  7. fegs

fegs pfm Member

TEAC Ref 300
    Mission bookshelf speakers

8. gerlando

gerlando Prog Rocker

Rega Planar 1;
    Marantz PM5005;
    Q Acoustic 3020.

samz likes this.
  9. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Dali Pico's for the speakers amazing for the price.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'd say the Denon named above or similar, along with speakers of choice. New or used. Do they really need a record deck? Have they got lots of records? If I were starting again and certainly if I weren't into the hobby, I'd go CD, internet or DAB radio and streaming. Nice and neat, takes up little space, gets on with the job.

Darren likes this.
  11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

For much that money you could get a Quad 306, a Chord Mojo, a Raspberry Pi and some to suit the room. I know, because I did it. Perhaps a little over budget, but it'll sound nice.

12. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

For the ease of use and low cost the Teac or Denon micro systems offer a lot q acoustic seem a lot for the money used.
    But yes when shops are open again richer sounds or the like can be an eye opener and let you hear then set up open box deals are very good value and some of the stuff they stock is very good I think

13. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

14. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Unless they have stipulated no second hand gear then RS is an obvious route and a capable system can be put together for between £5-600.
    If Richers is the route I would go for a:

Yamaha RS202D £150(very good value, sound and power+ Bluetooth
    Project E £150(includes Ortofon cartridge)
    CA CP1 Phono stage £20( must be selling them off)
    Cambridge AXC25 £200(good vfm)
    Wharfedale 9.0 £49(one of the original RS models and fantastic vfm)
    Rest for cables etc.

Del
    *Of course, second hand you could do better but it would take time and warranty limited or non existent

15. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Maybe active speakers, leaving enough for Rega/Project tt and Phono stage.

35451 likes this.
  16. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

17. topa

topa Sans CDPs

Creek integrated, Epos/Wharfedale/Ruark Speakers, Rega TT.

18. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

Spend half your budget on this Rega P3/24:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-P3-24-Turntable-RB301-Elys-2/202973640524?hash=item2f422bf74c:g:snAAAOSwhQheoKYN&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Spend half of what's left (£150) on a vintage Creek integrated amplifier, my favourite would be the 4140s2 which has a superb MM/MC phono stage. I've just found this one for £160:
    https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/consumer-hifi/hifi-separates/creek-4140s2-integrated-amplifier.htm

Then the last £150 on a pair of new speakers from Richer Sounds, there's lots of choice but I'd choose the Monitor Audio 1 in black, white or walnut for £144:
    https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio-bronze-1-black.html

I know I should have read the question, I missed the need for a CDP for which I’d choose a Rotel RCD-965BX, I’ve got one you could have for the £90 I paid for it, plus shipping. It includes the remote and transit screws.

Nice to see topa beat me to the Creek integrated whilst I was typing!

torstoi, topa, Mr Pig and 1 other person like this.
  19. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

The Creek would be a lovely base with nice phono stage.Also worth looking at vintage Rotel as well.

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

New Sony PS-HX500 turntable, with built in pre amp & fitted cart is £300, into Denon's brilliant Mini system, the DM-41 DAB with own make speakers, all things to all men, DAB, CD etc. It's £50 over budget, but you'd get a deal at Richer I expect.
    All black, well known makes and for that price, few compromises. I'd never subject non HiFi persons to old kit no matter how good you think it sounds.

Tigerjones and wiresandmore like this.