Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'audio' started by PhilDick, Jan 23, 2015.

1. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

As Cliff says, that is a lot of money for the standard 6.5" midwoofer and 1" tweeter with a passive crossover. Was there a reason he didn't opt for "proper" speakers with the benefits of a separate woofer/s and midrange given he had the budget?

2. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

I'm not sure that more drive units give a better sound. As you probably know ATC's use a transmission line to enhance the bass. The Transmission line on the 20 24 is 3m long, so you can imagine where the money has been spent.

3. Bluedroog

Bluedroog pfm Member

I demoed the 22s and left with mixed feelings, they did many things wonderfully, in fact they did most things wonderfully; the top end sparkles, plenty of detail and they sound very agile however the transmission line just didn’t work for me, it made the frequencies feel disjointed somehow. I’d like to hear them again in a better room and I have heard other longer transmission lines I did like. I think really transmission lines are not suited to small speakers so I expect the 24s to sound better.

I’ve just got my self a pair of Event Opals and they did everything the 22s did well, had non of the flaws and show them a clean pair of heels in terms of bass extension and power, I’m very happy and so glad I didn’t go for the 22s now and for pretty much the same price plus I can sell my power amp now.

4. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

I guess they are only better with respect to things like smoother directivity, lower distortion, higher SPL, wider frequency range and the like. Things that are possibly not important to some.

I assume the price charged follows from what the brand will bear and PMC do seem to be considered a strong brand.

I would expect there to be a noticeable difference in bass and midrange sound quality between a competent transmission line loaded 6.5" midwoofer and a competent bass reflex loaded 2 x 8" woofers plus 5" midrange.

5. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

PMCs?

6. Thetiminator

Thetiminator Painfully virile

Either go for something active or split the budget and change the amp and speakers. The amp will be killing the sound...

7. Patcam

Patcam pfm Member

8. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Goldenear Triton 1's will be difficult to beat.

9. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Oops.

10. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Heard the PMCs last night. Very good. A definate step up from the Operas. Mind the operas are superb on my rig.

11. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

It isn't actually. Considering that this is a 5.1 setup he would have to spend £10000 to better it.

12. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

It's interesting how we in the two channel hifi world look down our noses at AV amps. I have a £500 Marantz in the back room. I tried it with my hifi speakers and it was poor. I think we all realize that cheap ones are crap.

However, when you start spending serious money they really start to come into their own. There is not much between my Naim setup (nac82, nap250) with my new Operas (dad's old speakers) and his AVCA1HDA with his new PMC's. On a detail level his setup shades it.

13. Cjm75

Cjm75 pfm Member

14. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

15. Alex ProAcLover

Alex ProAcLover New Member

ProAc Response d 40. Used ones should fit into given price.

16. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

17. Rocketride

Rocketride pfm Member

+1 ;)

18. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, presumably. ATC certainly don't use transmission line loading for the bass (but, as you say, PMC do) - very different sounding brands in my experience.

19. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

He's very happy with the 24s.

However he was astonished how good his old Opera's are on my rig. Mind you so was I. They have such fabulous tight deep bass, and a lovely overall balance.

20. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

OMC?:p