Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£5000 Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'audio' started by PhilDick, Jan 23, 2015.

1. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Room is about 18 by 14 feet. Wood floor, brick walls.

2. Rapid 17

Rapid 17 pfm Member

3. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

By 'wood floor' do you mean suspended, or boards of some sort over a solid concrete floor?

A little about the layout would help too. Are the speakers able to be in free space for example?

4. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Zingali are extraordinary value and the best speaker I have heard in the last 20 years.
    So much so I am selling mine to get a pair.

5. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

Not sure I would stick anything more than about £1K speakers on the end of a Denon AV amp

If the AV source is a processor rather than a power amp, then yeah, maybe you could use that as a source for something like a second hand pair of ATC50ASLTs for about that money

6. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Yes suspended floor, carpeted. Room has chimney breast and alcoves. Plenty of space for free placement.

7. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Your 100% right did not notice it was a AV amp.
    In that case it would need to be the B&W small surround speakers which can be bought for under a grand on E-bay

8. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

What model is the Denon AV amp? I've run various B & W, Kef & Monitor Audio rigs with Denons.

Gus

9. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

The av amp is an avc-a1hda. About 5 grands worth a few years ago.

10. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

A decent AV amp shouldn't be a block to decent sound, especially if you go the active route. I have active ATC 20s running off the pre-outs of a mid range Arcam AV amp in the lounge and think it's very good indeed. A dedicated 2-channel amp is always an option as an upgrade, just choose one with AV bypass.

11. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Anyone come up with the stock pfm answer of sell the lot and get active atc's yet?:)

12. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

The Revel F208 is possibly one to consider.

13. AKG

AKG pfm Member

(I) + 1 on this prior post...excellent point!
    (II) w/o prejudice to the prior post, if you still committed to look for speakers falling in that price strata, those speakers usually warrant better electronics (quality design and quality build integrated amp or separates) rather than the suggested Denon AV receiver.

14. JLLR

JLLR pfm Member

i own a pair of dali epicon 2, the sound and finishing quality of these speakers are amazing.
    depending on the room, there are also the epicon 6 or high end epicon 8

15. vandergraafuk

vandergraafuk pfm Member

Focal 1028BE I have a pair for sale and you would have change :p

16. alindsay

alindsay pfm Member

Amazed nobody chipped in with a Shahinian suggestion yet.

17. JLLR

JLLR pfm Member

not sure the epicon and the focal play in the same category...

18. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

I think you are seriously underestimating the quality of this amp. It is on a par with my Naim setup.

19. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

Must admit that I like the idea of them. Not heard any though.

20. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Some AV amps are excellent over 2 channels to be sure. Good DACs in them too.