advertisement

£500 to upgrade.What would you do

The audio world has gone mad when Technics DD turntables are regarded as acceptable, let alone good. Sell it on ebay to some gullible trend-driven sucker and get yourself a decent deck. That will be an excellent start.
Per's suggestion is reasonable.

The audio world has gone mad when Technics DD turntables are regarded as acceptable, let alone good. Sell it on ebay to some gullible trend-driven sucker and get yourself a decent deck.

Are you speaking from experience?

The audio world has gone mad when Technics DD turntables are regarded as acceptable, let alone good. Sell it on ebay to some gullible trend-driven sucker and get yourself a decent deck. That will be an excellent start.
Per's suggestion is reasonable.
I hardly think so. I don't own a 1200 but I've heard them play and they are very good indeed. Trade it in for a Rega P3? Don't make me laugh. The P3 is a nice deck, don't get me wrong, but the best bit about it is the arm. I've owned P2, P3 and P3 with Linn Basik. None were sparkling. A Thorens 150 knocks any of them into a cocked hat, and a 1200 is better again, especially with a batter arm. All IMO of course.

My suggestion , remove the Techy psu and place into an external case (Acrylic) Vantage Audio could do this if you don't feel confident .

Vantage Audio modified bearing and platter upgrade for your Techy (£82 and £167)

Any money left over towards a better phono stage or records :)

chris and sondek are 100 percent correct - let engineers who know how to make things 'better' by engineering improvements not fantasy speculators who want to sell you healing unicorn milk....

Find a Rega dealer and take the Technics along to compare against the latest P3 and whatever the latest PSU is for that deck, using the Denon MC.

It'll sound quite different but only you'll know if you prefer it.

Failing that, and given you like the speakers, I wouldn't spend the money.

PS: You don't need the 640P if you have Exposure phono cards. About as good as the 640 so you could sell that to raise some funds.

Find a Rega dealer and take the Technics along to compare against the latest P3 and whatever the latest PSU is for that deck, using the Denon MC.

It'll sound quite different but only you'll know if you prefer it.

That's decent advice. IME unless the new P3 is streets ahead of the older one (it may be) then the Technics will be much better. The only reason I've seen for choosing a Rega over a 1200 is cosmetic or badge snobbery related. Let's be honest, few of us want to see a black plastic DJ deck taking pride of place on our Quadraspire rack above a pile of carefully selected boxes, with the risk that a mate will come round and say "oh, I saw a record player like that in Cash Converters, only £50, I thought I might get it for the vinyl in the shed, is it any good?"

Let's be honest, few of us want to see a black plastic DJ deck taking pride of place on our Quadraspire rack above a pile of carefully selected boxes, with the risk that a mate will come round and say "oh, I saw a record player like that in Cash Converters, only £50, I thought I might get it for the vinyl in the shed, is it any good?"

SL1200 is hardly plastic, it's certainly got more metal in/on it than any Rega I've seen up close. It's also got a load of rubber.

Since taking the time to set the system nicely, mine is sounding very satisfying. Provoked me into buying 10lps when I hadn't boughtany for a couple of years!

A couple of gents have mentioned changing my speakers.Why?I have tried proac sc1 and also some neat speakers they did sound lovely but no bass in my room at all.where as the dynos give me the bass that i want.

A couple of gents have mentioned changing my speakers.Why?

This is Pink Fish. If you don't have speakers which look like a Victorian toilet you aren't in the game. Speakers are the only component that matters, because as any idiot can see, that's where the sound comes from.

This is Pink Fish. If you don't have speakers which look like a Victorian toilet you aren't in the game. Speakers are the only component that matters, because as any idiot can see, that's where the sound comes from.

Oh ok :p

aah. then you are a ''source first'' kind of person? ..£3k turntable? £1k amp? 50p speakers?

I realise this argument has gone on for years.The reason i choose my speakers was.They were better to my ears than the other speakers i had heard in that price range

Cheer Folks.I have a rb251? i think on my rega p2 which i was thinking about replacing the arm on the 1210.

If you have an RB250/251 I'd send it to j7 at Audio Origami - indeed that's exactly what I was going to do with my Akito until the insurance companies decided to jack up their premiums 30 odd % and will do when my bank account recovers.

I realise this argument has gone on for years.The reason i choose my speakers was.They were better to my ears than the other speakers i had heard in that price range

Perfect answer, and faultless logical choice.

I'd argue over my gravestone that room acoustics and speakers make the biggest of differences (in that order), but if the OP is happy with both of those things, why should he change them?

What would I do in all seriousness?

Put my cambridge audio phono stage in a bag, and book an appointment in a decent dealer to see exactly what (if anything) it loses out to more expensive designs in a direct comparison. Best suggestion I can come up with.

advertisement

Back