It will be used mostly on a D800.

Pete

I would get one of the following:

Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART
Nikon 85mm f1.8G
Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro

Nice problem to have :)

Lefty

Surprised no one has asked what you intend to shoot with it? Subject dictates the gear! :)

TBH, it's not like your missing any focal lengths to be able to cover virtually any subject.

Any particular reason for needing another lens?

I agree with Rack Kit, subject dictates, are you wanting to go sub 24mm or above 280mm that your lenses cover, for a special reason?

I have been given £500 so I need to spend it!

As you say I have got most lengths covered, which is why I was asking for opinions.
I forgot the Optica 85mm f1.8 and the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

I shoot all sorts, lots of rusty stuff etc.

Might just get a Festool Domino!

Pete

That's a goods shot Mr Cat I saw it on Flickr.

I am leaning towards a prime possibly the 30mm.

Pete

I think you've got everything covered already. How are you doing for sensible but boring things that enhance your photography, like a decent tripod, camera bag, lens filters, flashes?

If you want to spend £500 on photography, how about a decent film camera? I'd go medium or large format, and you have a massive choice for that sort of money, and it'll give you a much wider range of possible effects than another lens for a camera you've already got quality glass for.

BTW, I was out with my X-Pan today.

I have been given £500 so I need to spend it!

As you say I have got most lengths covered, which is why I was asking for opinions.
I forgot the Optica 85mm f1.8 and the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

I shoot all sorts, lots of rusty stuff etc.

Might just get a Festool Domino!

Pete

:D

Current Nikon 24-70 2.8 are great bits of glass - might be worth an upgrade? Macro of some sort maybe?

I have a couple of Billingham bags, one about 30 years old! and a Benbo tripod and filters.

Macro is covered by my Sigma 50mm macro and extension tubes for my lensbaby.

The 24-70 2.8 is tempting.

Can't say I am too bothered with film, I did loads of slides years ago! no space for a dark room!

Pete

Pete,

If you sold your Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G and added 500 squids to it how close would you be to a 58 mm f/1.4G?

The 58 mm is a expensive lens and only a bit sharper than the 50mm f1.8G, but it has the creamiest bokeh.

Joe

I would get myself a 'premium compact' like the Panasonic LX100 (micro 4/3rds sensor and fast wide - normal Leica lens) or Sony DSC-RX100 Mk III (£560 in John Lewis) or similar and treat myself to the occasional bag-free, hassle-free day out with no weight to carry around.

But that's just me.

I guess it depends on the way you shoot and what you shoot (sport, wildlife, landscapes, urban, architecture etc.) and whether you walk or carry it all around in a vehicle.

I spent too many years with multiple lenses until I realised I only really wanted the 35mm - 45mm lenses found on high quality film compacts of the day. (Contax T2, Leica CM 40mm f2,4 etc.)

Admittedly no use to you if you earn your money shooting macro shots of insects or enjoy trying to beat the pros with your F1 photography!

You need to identify the gap or 'weakness' in the capabilities of your current lens range, or buy a lens that helps you to try out a new idea. (Have you got a decent macro for instance?)

How about a dedicated portrait lens?

Hi chebby

I haden't thought of a compact camera.

I have the Sigma 50mm macro and the Optica 85mm which it cracking lens for the incredibly small amount of money.

Pete

You're probably best with the 24-70, but I'm slightly intigued with the Panasonic TZ80 compact at about £320. It has 4k video which is supposed to allow you to select a sharp frame as a still photo, so might be an idea if you shoot moving critters?

Go with the Festool! :)

Otherwise, what about one of those Lee filter kits to give you some new creative options. They are not cheap, but I think will save you a ton of time in post-processing. Or that nice telephoto with the defocus control (135mm DC?) - a Joe P favorite.

-Dan (my lowly Makita plate joiner arrived yesterday)

I would suggest the Nikon 85mm f1.8G though you have the Optica. It really is great value.

Otherwise a compact may be a great option. Also consider a used Fuji EX-1 and their cheap 16-50 which is a great combination.

Given your kit list, I'd spend the £500 towards going to different places to shoot. Put it towards a holiday (with a photographic bent)

I am watching a couple of Sigma Art 35mm on Ebay while deciding what to do.

I went out with my D800 and 50mmG at the weekend and something a bit wider would have been best as I was outside and inside, like the 35mm.

Pete

advertisement

Back