advertisement

£500 amp recommendation and network player & Sonos question

Fin

pfm Member
Hi all

I've been box swapping for quite a while now, and I've finally settled on Harbeth P3ESR speakers and a Sonos system ( Connect and Bridge) as my source.

So my shopping list is now a 2 channel amplifier. Budget c. £500. I think brands from the Japanese manufacturers represent best value. So would love to get your recommendations. For me, I'd prefer to have an amp not impose it's own tonal colour ( but if it does, I prefer a warmer presentation over a fatiguing/thin presentation) . What would you think would be good from possibly Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha (maybe these are not all Japanese!).

One other thing, as I plan to add a NAS later, do you think it would be worth adding a network player with onboard Dac to improve things? I understand that sonos will handle not only streaming music services from spotify etc., but also take input from a NAS and play flac files. What I get a little confused with us the difference in functionality and sound quality from the Sonos compared to a network player such as the pioneer n50

Thanks Ray. That looks good but the one reservation I have about one box solutions is how can all if that tech be crammed into one box without somewhat compromising sound quality (interference etc.)

Thats why its only a long hard look for me at this stage but if Naim and Linn can do it why not Yamaha with 20 times the R and D budget?

Hi all

I've been box swapping for quite a while now, and I've finally settled on Harbeth P3ESR speakers and a Sonos system ( Connect and Bridge) as my source.

So my shopping list is now a 2 channel amplifier. Budget c. £500. I think brands from the Japanese manufacturers represent best value. So would love to get your recommendations. For me, I'd prefer to have an amp not impose it's own tonal colour ( but if it does, I prefer a warmer presentation over a fatiguing/thin presentation) . What would you think would be good from possibly Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha (maybe these are not all Japanese!).

IMO your speakers deserve better

I would think to get the best out of your Harbeths a more expensive amp would be in order or a 2nd hand one that cost more than £500 new .

Sorry for my lack if understanding here - never looked into anything but integrated Amps - what do you mean?

No problem. If you use a networked player which has a built in output control, you can plug it straight into a power amp and change the volume using your Sonos app/remote. If you need more than one digital source, you can always just add a dac - which would upgrade the Sonos anyway.

I've been running without a preamp for several years now. Find someone selling a DIY power amp and you could get something really quite special for £500.

The little Bryston B60 was an excellent match for the P3ES that I had here on loan for a while. Excellent little combo.

Staying inside OP's budget something like mentioned Exposure, maybe a Creek Destiny could be sourced if stretching a bit. Old Naim 110/62 a 5i, a Roksan or other British ones, there's so many personally I'd choose over mentioned Japanese

I'm using a modded Quad 34 pre-amp and Quad 306 power amp with the Harbeths, sounds fantastic to me.

I've also used an XTZ integrated with them and that also sounded great.

I have a Denon PA-720AE integrated and that sounds pretty 'clean' and forward, not bad but nothing like the other two amp set ups.

The XTZ amp has an onboard dac BTW and both MC/MM phono stages but the Quad MM phono stage is much better IMO.

I've used a valve phono stage into the Quad pre and that was pretty special too, better than the Quad's or different but not by much.

Tony

Exactly how much should an amplifier for the Harbeths cost?

Consensus seems to be Quad 306 and passive preamp plus Harbeth P3s = match made in heaven, though I've not got or heard a passive pre with the speakers or the 306.

How about a Quad 66 606 pre/power. There's a system for sale near me with quad CDP for £1000

Thats why its only a long hard look for me at this stage but if Naim and Linn can do it why not Yamaha with 20 times the R and D budget?

I have the Yamaha CD-N500, a wonderful and versatile bit of kit (networking a CD player works well for me). The amp has the advantage of Spotify Connect, but the CD player / streamer has the advantage of a digital out if you want a flavour of what DACs can do connected to an excellent transport.

If you aren't concerned about Spotify Connect - the CD-N500 is a better choice - you can use an Apple iPod and connect to the digital dock of the Yam CD-N500 if you want Spotify.

Another vote for the Yamaha CDN 500. I have over 45,000 tracks stored on a NAS and using the excellent Ipad app for the CDN makes them all very accessible.

advertisement

Back