advertisement

£500-600 MC suggestions

Try a used Cart, I have an Ortofon Rhondo Red and Benz Ace SL available.
Both low hours, PM if interested.

Bollocks to expensive carts, I broke a brand new £400 one a few weeks back, hayfever made me drowsy. Now I shall stick to sub £200 ones.

Ive not had many, but the two I've enjoyed most were a rondo bronze and my current Benz ace sl. Both lovely stepped up x 10.

Lots of people like them, but I didn't really enjoy my zxy.

Quite a few shouts for the Benz SL, any idea if it's a match for the low mass of my arm (6.5g i think for the fixed headshell version) ?

Your Lehman Black Cube SE has options for 100 Ohms and 1KOhm, and nothing in between, from what I can see.

That rules out the Hana low output version, which is 500 Ohms. I would also not recommend a Benz, which although the specs say something like 100Ohms or above recommended, actually sounds much better with a higher loading of about 200-250.

With the standard 100Ohm option, an AT33PTG or EV is going to be hard to beat.

I like your idea of 'expensive' at £400. Wonder what adjectives you'd ascribe to Transfigurations, Koetsus, upper Benzes and Zyxes, Miyajimas et al.:D

God knows, £400 for a bit of plastic and needle, what a joke. And so easy to break, my TT cost me less. May'be stick to SHures? I just can't be arsed with using arm lifts, its just not rock & roll!

Having 1k loading option it could be reduced to any value below with help Y RCA splitter and some resistors

Your Lehman Black Cube SE has options for 100 Ohms and 1KOhm, and nothing in between, from what I can see.

That rules out the Hana low output version, which is 500 Ohms. I would also not recommend a Benz, which although the specs say something like 100Ohms or above recommended, actually sounds much better with a higher loading of about 200-250.

With the standard 100Ohm option, an AT33PTG or EV is going to be hard to beat.

The Black Cube SE allows custom loading by simply plugging in a couple of resistors and selecting the "*" setting. I played with various loads before settling on 240k (very nice Charcroft Z-foils) for my OC9 mk3.

Chris

I'm a big fan of the OC9ML/II and AT33 PTG as well, thought the OC9ML/II was much nicer than both the Mk 1 and Mk 3. The Hana SL is also excellent.

I've got Grommets old Benz, its nice but I don't think its's any better than my AT's? Maybe more balanced and better all-round, but it's close.
I've got PTG ii /OC9ii. Art 9 and Decca SG are a step change better but twice the cost ...

I've got Grommets old Benz, its nice but I don't think its's any better than my AT's? Maybe more balanced and better all-round, but it's close.
I've got PTG ii /OC9ii. Art 9 and Decca SG are a step change better but twice the cost ...

The Benz I've heard don't seem to have the same level of detail retrieval as the AT's Mark, always sounded a bit "thicker" in the midrange to me, nice cartridges but in my system I prefer the AT's.

I've finally made a conclusion AT33PTG/II is all the cart I'll ever need.
That's after trying Ortofon Cadenza Red, DV 10x5 etc.
I've also had AT OC9ML/II (different beast from OC9/III).

I also wanted to try Hana - hard to escape quite aggressive pushing from some dealers... but after reading some user's reviews, I've decided, it's not really worth the gamble. Hana being described as more full bodied and warmer than 33PTG - but I get all the body and warmth I need from 33PTG, any more would be just too much.

I also liked OC9ML/II very much, it may be analytically even better, or better in some hi-fi aspects (it's by no means clinical or anything, it's really good), but when I installed 33PTG/II... well it just feels like home. It's pure joy.

IME

P.S. From compliance/weight point of view AT33PTG/II should suit your tonearm as good as any MC could.

Yes my AT33PTG/II is here to stay as well - had mine for nearly 2 years and enjoying it so much, can't recommend it enough. I find the presentation essentially neutral, which is what I want. Also like the very low surface noise. I can't find anything I don't like about it actually!

So that's AT on the list - either in OC9 or 33 flavour - is one a better match to my kit than the other?

No shouts for either Ortofon or Denon yet.

advertisement

Back