advertisement

£50 ESS sabre DAC

G

Guest432

I recently saw in a post someone saying that ESS now make one of the best dac chips so I thought I'd have a look and see what is out there. I found a £50 (inc postage) dac called the UAE23+ and I thought I'd have a punt as it's less than what I'd spend in the pub on a friday night. I bought it from hifimediy and they sent me a psu by mistake, when I emailed saying they immediately sent out the dac but said keep the psu as it works with the dac. It's only worth £16 but I thought it was a really nice thing to do, they had also sent the dac out special delivery and on something as cheap as that must have wiped out their profit.

Irregardless of what people think of the dac I just wanted to say what great service, we're quick to slag off but should give credit when it's due.

Martin D - Not sure what I shouldn't have said?

Having listened to it for the afternoon I'm really impressed, I have a tendency to think something is better just because it sounds different so I'm going to leave this in place for a while.

The DAC in the UAE23+ isn't the same as that used in high end DACs line the MDAC. It uses a 9023 not a 9018. ESS make a few different chips...

Still for £50 it sounds good value...

Derek

I feel compelled to treat your posts about this dac with a pinch of salt as you may have been incentivised by that humongous £16 freebee.

Well, go on then...what does the bloody thing sound like? Ears are cocked all over PFM.
Is it, could it be.......the fabled giant killer? Given a few boutique components substituted in, it might even be the Ahuramazda of DACs.

I feel compelled to treat your posts about this dac with a pinch of salt as you may have been incentivised by that humongous £16 freebee.

I am notoriously cheap and easily pleased.

I think it beats the rDAC i've got now and the dacmagic I had before and will probably be a keeper. It makes the tinkly bits more tinkly and makes everything much clearer.

I'd recommend someone who can talk hifi have a go with it. I think it is definitely something that can challenge any dac up to £400.

As an English teacher I'm mighty chuffed over some of the elaborate language used here: humungous, Irregardless.

I'll have to warn my student off this irreverent site. I'll have my school put it on the blocked sites list ... wait... doesn't that mean I won't be able to log onto Pinkfish from my work ... hmmm.

Cheap Dac though.

best wishes,
Peter

advertisement

Back