advertisement

£4750 off a Fiat Spider.

This cost me £500. It's been to Scotland and back, Norfolk and back and Spain and back. I'm quite smug about it.

w8vlmv.jpg

I've used the one in Swindon, it does require a degree of caution and when you first approach it you think "what the ----" but it works.

I am a regular user of the one in Hemel since its creation. Only ever had one issue other than first timers using it.
A few years ago I received a phone call (sign written van) from a special constable regarding my lack of knowledge of this roundabout use and request I return the call for a lesson. Anyway on revisiting the roundabout he was correct as on one of the junctions if you do not turn left the oncoming traffic will come for you as they think that lane is for LH only, even though the road signage is correct. This still happens regularly with many near misses and other drivers regularly curse me like I did with the special policeman.

Bloss

Last edited:
Well you might find it a strange comment, but my Midget was definitely quieter with the hood down at speed. Perhaps your soft tops had better hoods.
quite possibly - I was querying your statement that said "most if not all"

ymmv

My Spitfire was also quieter with the hood down, but the others weren't; an E30 325i, mk1 MX5 and a 90s Alfa Spyder. The other two had double skinned hoods and the MX5 was just much better designed and built than the Spitfire. The hood fit properly for a start.

This might have at least a bit to do with it. I think most rag tops from the 90s on have double skinned hoods?

I think most rag tops from the 90s on have double skinned hoods?

I think you are probably right with.

Unfortunately one of the reasons I had to give up with soft tops as they made my Tinnitus worse when pushing on with the roof down.

G&T, I think the point of noise with roof down/off is dependent on type of car. With the modern auto roof especially steel as on the SL/SLK type cars I find no difference, even on fabric Boxster roofs the road noise is not hellishy louder with it on. However true sports cars and classic sports it's a different story. A Caterham with its roof on is deafening, a Morgan also becomes uncomfortable but not as bad.Modern Lotus funnily enough are ok either way too for a noisy little beast.

G&T, I think the point of noise with roof down/off is dependent on type of car. With the modern auto roof especially steel as on the SL/SLK type cars I find no difference, even on fabric Boxster roofs the road noise is not hellishy louder with it on. However true sports cars and classic sports it's a different story. A Caterham with its roof on is deafening, a Morgan also becomes uncomfortable but not as bad.Modern Lotus funnily enough are ok either way too for a noisy little beast.

I am well aware of that. I am on my first non convertible for nearly 30 years. I deliberately excluded the 2 SLKs and SL from the list.

none of my Boxsters were noisier with the roof up and I had Sports Exhausts fitted. Same goes for the S2000 with ultra noisy HKS exhausts.

I said Boxsters weren't noticeably noisier and I've still got two drop heads here after 30 years :) A lot of true sports and classics as the lad with the Midget said are louder, some to the extent where I'd rather drive and get wet.

When cheap cars serve beyond expectation like that, they become part of the family. Looks in goof shape too.
Yes, it even has a name. (All the dents are on the other side). It is thanks to Patrick Dixon of this forum that it came my way via his mate.

I think you are probably right with.

Unfortunately one of the reasons I had to give up with soft tops as they made my Tinnitus worse when pushing on with the roof down.

Ear plugs like bikers, even if you don't have Tinnitus - or you soon would. Wind and traffic noise can be louder than a gig.

However Caterham have worked out that it's all about the weight, so they have made a lot of light cars with small engines. A car that size with a little 800cc engine is still a hoot at sane speeds and will corner just as qiickly as a very powerful one. Mine was a modest one, but a hoot on a public road because you had all your fun between 40 and 80-odd mph, sorry I mean 70 officer. I considered other performance cars, at that time the Porsche 911 was affordable, especially the 964 model and the one before, but a 911 will get you into trouble because you are more likely to take it to 3 figure velocities and at that you are looking at a court appearance and a ban rather than a slap on the wrist or maybe a fine.

Totally agree. I've been lucky enough to have some nice Porsches, 3.2 Carrera, 996 Turbo but nothing is as much fun as my Elise as a road car. You have to be on a track or driving beyond speed limits before the Porsches really come alive. The Lotus is a hoot within national speed limits and the smiles per mile is off the scale. A early morning B road blat reminds you that driving can still be fun without excess. A car that I still take out just for a drive many years on.

And that's why I was surprised when Lotus took the 135bhp 1.6 Elise off the model list last year. All their cars are now in Porsche territory and impossible to use anywhere near their potential on the public roads. However saying that any small hot hatch, big diesel or large saloon is license losing in idiots hands.

Ive just blagged myself virtually new M4 Cabriolet Comp package and a lovely thing it is.
I'm being kind to it just now as its only done 1000 miles, and I'm really enjoying open-top motoring for the first time in the UK.
I did the Moffat to Edinburgh road (a GWR - great wee road) top-down, on the way up to Aberdeenshire yesterday and it was heaven on four wheels. Not too noisy or wind-buffeted either.
My wife and kids love it. :)

Ear plugs like bikers, even if you don't have Tinnitus - or you soon would. Wind and traffic noise can be louder than a gig.

i do remember when riding motorbikes that the discovery of ear plugs was a revelation. I found that they reduced journey fatigue enormously and aided concentration.

As far as the Fiat having a double skin hood, I think not. If it did it did not seem to have any insulation like a 'cabriolet' might. It was reminiscent of aforementioned midget's, Lotus' etc. The Fiat is a lovely car to drive but the noise with the hood up was annoying.

And that's why I was surprised when Lotus took the 135bhp 1.6 Elise off the model list last year. All their cars are now in Porsche territory and impossible to use anywhere near their potential on the public roads. However saying that any small hot hatch, big diesel or large saloon is license losing in idiots hands.

When I bought the MR-2 in 2003 a slightly used Lotus Elise was within my budget. Not anymore, sadly.

Stephen

I can well believe it too Stephen. I was offered a swap on a 230slk we had against an S1 Elise 160 factory car in about 2005............doh I rejected the swap. One will be worth a grand now if it's still on the road, the other probably 25k lol.

How many cars do Lotus sell in UK now? I hardy see any on the road any more. Is it down to about 100 or something?

edit: about 250.

advertisement

Back