advertisement

£400-ish to upgrade power-amp or speakers?

mat_mcg

pfm Member
Similar to the other thread, I suppose. ;)

I've been looking for a power-amp to replace the NAP90 I just sold [see recent threads]. In the meantime, I've been running my existing speakers with a little 20watt T-Amp I have [which normally powers my PC speakers]. So, I've decided I could probably just about live with the T-Amp for a few months if I had to, the sound isn't terrible by any means; surprisingly decent in fact, although obviously I can't produce high volume levels it's sufficient for my normal listening levels.

So, having sold a few things, I reckon I can probably raise £400 or so for upgrades, maybe a bit more.

Current system: Meridian 201 and 204 pre-amp and tuner, Linn Axis [w' Basik Plus and DL-110], Tannoy 605 speakers, Atacama stands.

Choices:
  1. Keep the T-amp in place, put £200 - 300 into a better pair of speakers, and bank the rest until I can spend a bit more on a decent power amp. If so, speaker recommendations? I'd probably prefer stand-mounts, or slim floorstanders [for WAF reasons]. Dali Lektor 2? MA BX2? Quad 12Ls?
  2. Alternatively, keep the Tannoy 605s, spend on a power amp now and wait to replace the speakers. Again, I'd probably not want to spend more than £200 [or maybe £300 at a total push] but I'm open to recommendations.

3. Replace both? If so, can I really get a power-amp and speakers that'll best what I currently have for a budget definitely under £500?

4. Go active? I've looked at active options, but the active speakers in that sort of price range seem to be fairly small and likely to be bass light, e.g. Quad 11L2 actives. But if anyone can recommend something I'd be all ears. Actives for around my budget would obviously kill two birds with one stone.

Music: I listen to everything from electronic music, to indie, to jazz and classical. The system has to sound good with small group jazz and classical music in particular, but it shouldn't be a total slouch with dance or rock music.

The Tannoy 605s I have now are a little bottom-light for symphonic music, although they sound pretty good with jazz and rock to my ears.

N.B. I won't be changing my pre-amp, tuner or turntable. Those are fixed.

Thanks for any advice!

Matt

I'd be tempted to flog the Tannoys, get an old pair of Ruark Standmounts (Icons/Broadsword/Sabre) for <£150 and add a little to the pot to get a pair of Meridian 205 monoblocks. For welly and refinement on a budget old Ruarks can't be beat.

Although this is only one of a gazillion options probably available to you.

205s have been on my list for a while, but I've not spotted any at a decent price. The Ruarks definitely sound interesting, though.

advertisement

Back