advertisement

£400 - £600 MCs: Benz or AT?

Branko very kindly brought my Micro Ace SL over today and I've spent the past three hours fitting it to my SMEV. This was a tinge nervy as it's the first time I've set up a new cart on an SME, as opposed to a Rega (HTA? wtf?, etc)

The Benz sounds lovely from the off - very peppy and a real sense of sweetness. Compared to my DV TKR...well the TKR might have more ultimate resolution, but there's very little in it. The Benz really is very good at apparently minimising surface noise, and I confess it's just nice to have a bit more gain and pep. The Benz is only supposed to be a stand-in, and I am a bit surprised that there is so little between a £2k cart and a £600 one.

Antonio - Audiofreaks should have more Ace SLs in soon.

The Vida only has two load settings - 'high' for 10 ohms to 100 and 'low' for 0.6 ohms to 10. The Benz's specs say its impedance is 12 ohms, and it sounds best on high to my ears.

Seriously nice cart this.

Branko very kindly brought my Micro Ace SL over today and I've spent the past three hours fitting it to my SMEV. This was a tinge nervy as it's the first time I've set up a new cart on an SME, as opposed to a Rega (HTA? wtf?, etc)

The Benz sounds lovely from the off - very peppy and a real sense of sweetness. Compared to my DV TKR...well the TKR might have more ultimate resolution, but there's very little in it. The Benz really is very good at apparently minimising surface noise, and I confess it's just nice to have a bit more gain and pep. The Benz is only supposed to be a stand-in, and I am a bit surprised that there is so little between a £2k cart and a £600 one.

Antonio - Audiofreaks should have more Ace SLs in soon.

will keep an eye on it,thanks

advertisement

Back