advertisement

£400 - £600 MCs: Benz or AT?

Tim Jones

pfm Member
I'm looking for one of these, not so much to replace my DV TKR, but for use alongside it or as an interim when it dies and goes for rebuild. I would like a slightly higher output than the TKR's 0.2mv (which has caused me some issues in the past with passive pres, etc).

The deck is an SME 20/3 with a V arm and I'm using an Aurorasound Vida stage. I've been looking seriously at:

AT-OC9/iii (has a rep for lively treble, might work well with the SME)
AT33PTG/ii
AT33PTG/SA (new one with Shibata stylus, albeit at substantial price hike)
Benz Micro Ace SL (well reviewed, but tracking isn't brilliant).

Has anyone been in a position to compare and contrast the above?

TIA.

I've only heard the OC9 and found it shrill.

If you like the DV sound maybe consider a 20x2L, although the new price has crept a quite a bit?

Hats off to you sir if you're willing to spend £600 on your temporary replacement!

OC9 is a bit too screechy for me.

No experience with the Benz range.

PTG II floats my boat and is under consideration for a purchase.

Had you also considered the Ortofon Quintet range and possibly the bottom end of it?

Or even a NoS MC30 super from Thakkers.

What makes you think the ACE SL's tracking may be bad? It has a Micro Ridge stylus and a boron cantilever - that should not cause any problems, unless the tonarm is a bad match.
My ACE SH tracks very well, and I am quite fussy when it comes to stylii.
Best,
Oliver

They're all nice cartridges. I have used the Benz cartridges extensively, and also have an AT33PTG/ii. If your deck is on the analytical side - probably a fair assumption with an SME - or you prefer a warmer sound, the Benz is the obvious choice. For a warmer sounding deck or preference for a brighter (though not "bright") sound, then I would suggest the AT33PTG/ii or SA.

I've had a Benz Ace in my main system for quite a while. I tried a couple of other carts but went back to the Benz. I've also had two AT33PGTs in the other system but when the suspension collapsed on the last one I replaced it with a Benz L0.4. I do prefer the slightly sweeter sound of the Benz. There isn't much in it though tbh.

My AT OC9iii is on a SMEiv arm and Gyro SE. Detail is fantastic, the sense of presence is tangible and classical piano bass strings feel like they are vibrating in your very room.

If you simply want a 'stand-by' cartridge, why spend more than £70 for a Shure 97xe? It's a good cartridge ad works well with the SME decks,,,I use one on my 30-12 with superb results. Will never mistrack and the compliance is fine with a V5.
And yes, I've used the 97xe through the Vida phonostage and SME combination. For £70 got to be a fine stand-by. Rather 'educational' too.

The at33ptg 11 is a little calmer in the upper frequencies than the OC 9, although I have to say that a while back a OC9 was in use at a phono stage bake off, and loaded at 50 ohm, through a Rega ios it was certainly not screechy, which was a trait through a couple of higher loading stages. I think part of its reputation is down to poorly matching stages.on balance I prefer the ptg II to the OC9 or any benz up to and including the glider.

For £70 got to be a fine stand-by. Rather 'educational' too.

Do you mean in the sense that you can get a very good cart for very sensible money?

I note, however, that a certain dealer seems to be doing the Benz Ace SL for£499, which is very tempting...

I'd echo the sentiments re the Benz Micro Ace. I'd say tracking was pretty good, at least it is on my Akito arm.

Never heard of Hana but those designs look very interesting indeed.
A shibata tipped MC from an established builder with pedigree for <£500 is nice to see.
Looks like they've been making MCs for other people for 40 years.

Yes they are very interesting, and the SL especially so. Mind you, they are also unusually light at 5.0gms. A 17D3 is 5.8gms, and that's light...

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Ace SL, especially if I can get one for £499.

advertisement

Back