advertisement

£4 Billion Cost For Westminster Repairs

DonQuixote - yes, but not 10x the rate...

Floor area, about 96000sq.m (source)
Cost inc temporary relocation, £4B. Or £41,000/sq.m. Utterly hilarious, and about 10x rate for the commercial replacement cost of a 'landmark-quality' design.

Mmm. 8x the cost of The Shard.

Although you would still have the cost of temporary relocation - if you knocked it down you could probably build in the space a modern purpose built high rise structure that could replace not only Parliament, but many of the offices of Whitehall as well. This would allow you to sell off a lot of real estate around the city which may well pay for the development.

The place is a hideous Victorian Gothic Revival eyesore. It's basically a huge folly.

I suppose you could try and keep the really old bits - left over from the fire which destroyed the old building in the 1830s.

If it were mine I'd definitely set it on fire and collect the insurance money.

It'll become a Marriott with an artisanal roaster coffee hang out
in the lobby, filled with old Chesterfield sofas for aging tourists in the post hipster era.

It's a perfect opportunity to move Government out of London. Parliament in Birmingham, finance in Norwich, Arts in Liverpool, Science in Manchester, defence in Newcastle, Trade in Leeds etc.

It would revive Britain's cities and solve the shortages of houses at a stroke.

the HoC could become flats and a museum—which should pay for the refurbs needed above.

Stephen

I enjoy living in the north of England, and the absence of political hacks, large groups of civil servants and associated hangers on is one of the reasons why. I believe your strategy would spoil many nice places in Britain.

Stephen, it's extremely irritating when you go to the trouble of picking a random number, doubling it, taking a square root and then multiplying by an arbitrary number based loosely on your kids ages and then get undercut by 5%.

Stephen, it's extremely irritating when you go to the trouble of picking a random number, doubling it, taking a square root and then multiplying by an arbitrary number based loosely on your kids ages and then get undercut by 5%.

You are the boss of HS2 and I claim my prize.

Stephen

Mmm. 8x the cost of The Shard.

Although you would still have the cost of temporary relocation - if you knocked it down you could probably build in the space a modern purpose built high rise structure that could replace not only Parliament, but many of the offices of Whitehall as well. This would allow you to sell off a lot of real estate around the city which may well pay for the development.

The place is a hideous Victorian Gothic Revival eyesore. It's basically a huge folly.

I suppose you could try and keep the really old bits - left over from the fire which destroyed the old building in the 1830s.

If it were mine I'd definitely set it on fire and collect the insurance money.
My thoughts exactly. Ersatz Victorian tosh.

Or it would revitalise those areas, bringing jobs and better transport and infrastructure links while relieving pressure on London.

How would the above 'spoil' Leeds or Newcastle?

Stephen

You'd pay at least half as much again for a house, twice as much for a coffee, and suddenly have to choose between many types of artisanal soap, buns and loo roll purveyed by men and women with outsized glasses and beards. Proper beer would become virtually unobtainable outside of fru-fru boutiques. Accessorising would become an acceptable activity for the metrosexual man about t'north.

" 'ere lass, 'ave tha' seen ow me use of a lightly tanned brown belt wit' darker trews accentuates me manly bulge in this hipster style. It will intimidate t'other menfolk and allow me unfettered access t'bar where I can buy both of us half a babysham"

No thank you.

Couldn't they just concrete over Stamford Bridge? Nobody, well apart from one maybe, would miss it. Add a few portacabins, job done.

Abramovich could buy Parliament, demolish it and build the new Chelsea FC stadium there. At least Westminster would go up in class.

Jack

Good idea, he'll be able to park his yacht outside here :D
pg-4-MoD-buildings-1-getty.jpg

advertisement

Back