advertisement

£4 Billion Cost For Westminster Repairs

Phew, for a second I thought the cost of Tannoy servicing had gone through the roof!

Joe

They should just knock the thing down and get in a developer to build an apartment block. The flats would be bought by foreign investors and left empty for most of the year, a bit like the Commons and Lords come to think of it.

This would save us £4 Billion.

Parliament meanwhile should be moved to the middle of the country. Birmingham would do. There would be cheap take-away curries for MPs should they actually decide to do any work.

This would also cut down on Parliamentary expenses. Many MPs wouldn't need a second home and if they did property is a lot cheaper to buy or rent in Birmingham.

Jack

It's a perfect opportunity to move Government out of London. Parliament in Birmingham, finance in Norwich, Arts in Liverpool, Science in Manchester, defence in Newcastle, Trade in Leeds etc.

It would revive Britain's cities and solve the shortages of houses at a stroke.

the HoC could become flats and a museum—which should pay for the refurbs needed above.

Stephen

What do you mean? What hose?

Hint: always quote to lock in the typing errors/idiocy of the poster. ;)

Stephen

Ha, I'll see your quote and raise you another one ;) Yes, should have quoted as it's now totally out of context. If you wouldn't mind unediting your typo please...

DonQuixote - yes, but not 10x the rate...

Floor area, about 96000sq.m (source)
Cost inc temporary relocation, £4B. Or £41,000/sq.m. Utterly hilarious, and about 10x rate for the commercial replacement cost of a 'landmark-quality' design.

They should just knock the thing down and get in a developer to build an apartment block. The flats would be bought by foreign investors and left empty for most of the year, a bit like the Commons and Lords come to think of it.

This would save us £4 Billion.

Parliament meanwhile should be moved to the middle of the country. Birmingham would do. There would be cheap take-away curries for MPs should they actually decide to do any work.

This would also cut down on Parliamentary expenses. Many MPs wouldn't need a second home and if they did property is a lot cheaper to buy or rent in Birmingham.

Jack

+1 agreed on all counts.
Makes absolutely no sense to stay where they are.
I could see the government getting some serious brownie points if they had the balls to move it elsewhere though.

Birmingham is the natural home for it. The NEC has lots of space and excellent transport links as a stop gap. Trump will pay enough for Westminster as a luxury destination to cover the cost of the enormous new Ministry of Brexit. It's a win win as they say- The Trump Pugin will help offset the cost of their latest political project. London will thrive without them.

I'd love to see an itemised estimate.

And I'd really love to see who is getting/tendering for the job..

FWIW, I'd like to see the HoP remain and be maintained, but that doesn't preclude a bit of devolution of Govt. to the 'provinces'.

+1 agreed on all counts.
Makes absolutely no sense to stay where they are.
I could see the government getting some serious brownie points if they had the balls to move it elsewhere though.

Isn't there a big dome thingy a bit down river?

Yep flats and a museum springs to mind.

Little bedsits to stop all the fraudulent claiming for second homes and a museum for the rich Chinese to visit .

Wonder who is getting the tender for that...taxpayers money. Get your brown envelopes and private consultations in now!

It's a masterclass in taking the p*ss, they can be just as corrupt and incompetent in portakabins.

advertisement

Back