advertisement

£3000 to spend on TT, what would you do?

TonyScarlett

pfm Member
Will have £3000 to spend soon on a new turntable, looking for some advice. This will be a big purchase for me so would like to get it right. Current set up is a Pro-ject Classic with Hana EL MC cart, Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage with standard PSU, Khozmo passive pre amp, Leak ST20 amp (recently expertly fettled by Graeme at AmpRegen) & JR 149 speakers with REL Tzero sub. I intend to upgrade the Dino with the Never Connected PSU. Looking to buy new so that rules out Linn LP12. Currently on the shortlist are the new Rega Planar 8, Roksan Radius 7 & Michell Gyro SE. Also like the look of the Gold Note Pianosa, cant find much info on this one on the net though. There is a dealer in Birmingham has a Pianosa to demo so will arrange this for next week. Any PFMrs have any experience of these TTs or any alternatives in the same price range?
Would also appreciate views on the buying experience, were dealers able to arrange demos, provide advice on setting up etc? I am in the Midlands & will be looking to buy locally.
Thanks in advance.

I can highly recommend Clive at Sound Cinergy Aldridge. He carries Rega, Roksan, Project amongst others.

I've know him a long time and he's always a pleasure to deal.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention Midland Audio Exchange. John's a top bloke too.

I can highly recommend Clive at Sound Cinergy Aldridge. He carries Rega, Roksan, Project amongst others.

I've know him a long time and he's always a pleasure to deal.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention Midland Audio Exchange. John's a top bloke too.
Thanks, will definitely check them out, I have a cousin lives in Aldridge, will be able to kill two birds with one stone!

Should also mention that I would like easy switching between 33/45 rpm before someone suggests the LP12 Majik. TT will be taking pride of place on my rack next to ST20 so cosmetic appearance will matter as well. Love the look of the Radius 7 but will it age well? Not so taken with the look of the Planar 8 but would it grow on me? I know audiophiles aren't supposed to buy equipment on looks but this stuff matters to me.

Technics SL1200G + Hana ML + Kabusa TD1000. You're unlikely to get better for sensible money.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/td1000.htm

EDIT: (This may not be the aesthetic you are looking for however :)
The Technics SL1200G is definitely on my radar, I've always liked the look of the Technics TTs (the original would have been contemporary with the JR149's). This is the problem, there are so many options at this price point and I suspect (would hope) that all of them will sound good in a dealers demo room.

Also thought about Well Tempered, not sure about the looks but owners seem to love them, will have to arrange visit to MAX to see & hear one in the flesh.

I bought my Well Tempered deck from MAX eailer this year. Well worth a listen.
I sold my fully spec’d LP12 for a Versalex and never looked back.

He also stocks the Technics decks amougst many others.

If you like the sound & look of the Classic , upgrade the arm & cartridge
ortofonpro-jectcenturytt_cover_m.png

Sorry I don't know the turntable but could you keep it and put a better arm on it and spend the money on the phono stage?

Will have £3000 to spend soon on a new turntable, looking for some advice. This will be a big purchase for me so would like to get it right. Current set up is a Pro-ject Classic with Hana EL MC cart, Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage with standard PSU, Khozmo passive pre amp, Leak ST20 amp (recently expertly fettled by Graeme at AmpRegen) & JR 149 speakers with REL Tzero sub. I intend to upgrade the Dino with the Never Connected PSU. Looking to buy new so that rules out Linn LP12. Currently on the shortlist are the new Rega Planar 8, Roksan Radius 7 & Michell Gyro SE. Also like the look of the Gold Note Pianosa, cant find much info on this one on the net though. There is a dealer in Birmingham has a Pianosa to demo so will arrange this for next week. Any PFMrs have any experience of these TTs or any alternatives in the same price range?
Would also appreciate views on the buying experience, were dealers able to arrange demos, provide advice on setting up etc? I am in the Midlands & will be looking to buy locally.
Thanks in advance.

I’d be only looking at 2nd hand decks
Some really epic used turntable’s out there for £3k

Agree RE: used. Due to low demand, the R&D and engineering cost of high end modern turntables I don't think £3k gets you much to shout about buying new.

advertisement

Back