advertisement

£1m vinyl record auction

Hi,

I's a shame that "Smashy" has to sell his records. There are some corkers in there including 100 Motown demos. Should be interesting to see how much it all goes for.

I'm sure he had every single record that hit the charts.

Dean

Man alive that's an awful collection.

You've gotta be pretty clueless to have that many various albums !

Man alive that's an awful collection.

You've gotta be pretty clueless to have that many various albums !

Hi,

Why do you say that? Some of these various artists albums will be very good. Many labels release various artists albums and samplers containing varied and good music. Some of these items may be the K-tel, Ronco stuff but he will have a number of rarer stuff and stuff from quality labels.

It is not uncommon for Djs to get rare and limited samplers to help promote new acts.

The collection is musically varied. It does cover a lot of bases. I have seen plenty to keep me happy. That said, I didn't notice much from recent (last 20) years.

Just scanning the list, I have easily picked off a load of interesting items. For example, I like to collect Northern soul, Motown, 60s ska and early reggae singles & albums. There are a number of interesting items.

Dean

Looking through those 54 pages, you'd have to assume he's holding back some very special items because there certainly isn't that much on the list which you couldn't pick up on eBay most weeks.

It's only when you get to the individual items rather than the lots, when it gets a little more interesting - Winstons Fumbs, Rupert's People, Norman Haines promo only 45, the Motown and Impressions demos, etc. Too many records in VG or less as well.

Funny how the BBC news item valued them at £1million.

I'd value them at about £10,000 for the 5500 records listed on the Chiswick
Auction website. Has he got loads more to sell after these, or is that it? Bit of a joke if it is, cos that would mean that I've got more records than him.

Anyone know what they sold for?

I always found Mike Read to be an irritating DJ anyway.

Looking through those 54 pages, you'd have to assume he's holding back some very special items because there certainly isn't that much on the list which you couldn't pick up on eBay most weeks.

It's only when you get to the individual items rather than the lots, when it gets a little more interesting - Winstons Fumbs, Rupert's People, Norman Haines promo only 45, the Motown and Impressions demos, etc. Too many records in VG or less as well.

Hi,

Alot of this stuff will crop up on ebay over a period of time. A big number of these items are things that will sell a between £20 to £80. I agree that there does not seem to be any mega rare stuff. You could be right that some items may have been held back or even already been sold.

There does seem to be a lot of records in VG or less condition which will affect the value.

SCIDB

Funny how the BBC news item valued them at £1million.

I'd value them at about £10,000 for the 5500 records listed on the Chiswick
Auction website. Has he got loads more to sell after these, or is that it? Bit of a joke if it is, cos that would mean that I've got more records than him.

Anyone know what they sold for?

I always found Mike Read to be an irritating DJ anyway.

Hi,

There is more than 5500 records on that list. There are a lot of various artists bungles on there of different amounts. There are a large number of these. (well over 60). A large number have in excess of 300 items. I've no idea what's in these.

He does have a lot of records but the big money will come from the memorabilia he has collected. The signed records, posters, pictures, photos, items of clothes, the jukebox, the letters etc.

Dean

That record collection is quite literally vinyltastic…NOT. Just a little surprised he’s not giving it to cheeerity….

He isn't giving it to charity because he's bankrupt and this probably is being sold by the receivers.
Anyway, the charity shops already have all those and can't shift them.

advertisement

Back