advertisement

£1k for a mountain bike

FFS. Give yourself a slap. You are being no help whatsoever to the OP.

He arguably doesn't even need front suspension for the type of riding he's planning on doing.

NB Before you attempt to slap me down, I've been riding and racing bikes for over 50 years -on road and off road - and have a garage full of bikes to do all sorts of stuff. My eldest son is a top level MTB rider and is up at Hamsterly on a black run as we speak. Even he rarely rides his full suss.

For the type of riding the OP will be doing I'd NEVER advise a full susser. But obviously you know best as your ridiculous "it has two wheels' comment adequately proves.
For tracks and gravel, full suss would be a terrible choice. I ride tracks and gravel regularly. Never on a full suss and rarely on a hard tail though I do enjoy riding my titanium HT. For the type of riding the OP will be doing there are many bikes that will suit. A FS would be pretty much bottom of the list.
Orange P7 is a great bike. I've had one. My son has one now. Not what you need though.

I ride faster on the road with one leg than my son can manage on his P7 despite his age advantage. Horses for courses. Unless you're planning on doing serious off road and downhill stuff you don't need a P7

Give yourself a slap, you are being no help to whatsoever to the OP.

All you managed to do is reply to my posts, say your son is an good rider who likes a hardtail (which was a point raised previously anyway as good riders do like a HT on technical stuff much like yourself with your decades of experience), that your son is on a Black run, which he will be on a FS and that you ride on the road with a mountain bike using one leg on a bike that is neither a hardtail or a full suspension (no idea what sort of bike it could be) and the OP dosent need a P7. Top advice!

Lol, classic.

More deliberations. Went back to our local bike shop today. I am not sure what to do to be honest. I liole that shop but its basically Whyte bikes and nothing else. However the bosses bike is up for sale in there second hand but it looks in very good shape.
Its an Orange P7. However he wants 1250 for it. And this is how this starts isn't it?

lol

The P7 has quite the slack geometry, Id definitely try it first because that could become uncomfortable for long singletrack rides.

Yeah I did look again at the P7, its a pro apparently so the price point seemed reasonable, but it was a bit heavy.

Well in the end and after plenty of chatting and to be fair they dont push in the shop just tell it how it is we came down to either a whyte 801 at circa 900 or the 805 at a grand.

Butttt. He did have one 901 left whilst the shop is swapping out to the new models

https://www.whyte.bike/new-901

Its essentially this one, but last years. We negotiated to 1100 with a free service on my sons bike, so a bit over budget and yes probably wayy more than I actually need to spend, but there you go, I nearly bought an iphone but didn't :)

Interesting arguments on the full suspension, but from a bike perspective I prefer always to deal with someone locally. Full suspension was hard to come by, the only ones I saw were 1400 and above. (Or 300 and below!) I looked at the voodoo in halfords and to be fair it looked nice, but you see those kids behind trying to put pedals on and you have to say no!

I find myself agreeing with Matthewr.

£5-600 will buy a cracking HT, with money left for any changes you might like, such as different pedals, tyres and saddle.

It's far too easy to keep spending a few tenners each month on a bike :)

Give yourself a slap, you are being no help to whatsoever to the OP.

All you managed to do is reply to my posts, say your son is an good rider who likes a hardtail (which was a point raised previously anyway as good riders do like a HT on technical stuff much like yourself with your decades of experience), that your son is on a Black run, which he will be on a FS and that you ride on the road with a mountain bike using one leg on a bike that is neither a hardtail or a full suspension (no idea what sort of bike it could be) and the OP dosent need a P7. Top advice!

Lol, classic.

Yes. I took to task your crumby advice and gave the OP some good advice based on my 50 years experience of racing at a decent level on both MTB and road as well as my son's valid experiences.

You didn't like being slapped down. Tough. Bye.

Garyi, that's an excellent choice. My son has one. Loves it. He's had a few Whytes.

I'm sure you'll never feel the need for full suss and I'm sure you'll get at least a decade's use out of it. Well done for using a LBS as well. Enjoy it. I'm sure you will.

My titanium hard tail is about 20 years old now. Cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it but over 20 years it's been great value for money. That's what you need to tell the wife ;-)

Yes. I took to task your crumby advice and gave the OP some good advice based on my 50 years experience of racing at a decent level on both MTB and road as well as my son's valid experiences.

You didn't like being slapped down. Tough. Bye.

But you didn't though did you, on either account. I summarised in my paragraph that you have not offered any response too, other than selection of chavtastic phrasing.

Oh well. Ta-raa!

Jeez...there's been some willy waving on this thread!!
Might as well have crossed out bike in the thread title and replaced with cable.

Glad to hear you're sorted garyi, looks like a nice ride and a nice deal. You're not too far away from the SDW - get on it before it gets too muddy down at the Winchester end!

Decent looking bike.

Out of curiosity, did you go through the whole 27.5 / 29'er agonising ?

Hi Alan. No the guy discussed this with me and it kind of went over my head so I went with the one the felt right.

Bearing in mind my old bike is 26 it was always going to be a change

The one I got has 27.5

Anyone serious about an MTB (and £1k is fairly serious) could be spec'ing the bike from the ground up and building it. Looking for deals on the frame and parts is worthwhile. My son could advise on the details but I can't. Naturally for an easy life just buy a complete bike.
The deals that large scale manufacturers can get from the likes of Shimano and Fox mean that unless you're going for a frame from a small boutique manufacturer (ie. a lot more than £1k for a complete bike), it's invariably cheaper to buy a complete bike. In fact, it can be cheaper to buy a complete bike and a boutique frame, transfer the parts over and sell the cheaper frame.

The deals that large scale manufacturers can get from the likes of Shimano and Fox mean that unless you're going for a frame from a small boutique manufacturer (ie. a lot more than £1k for a complete bike), it's invariably cheaper to buy a complete bike. In fact, it can be cheaper to buy a complete bike and a boutique frame, transfer the parts over and sell the cheaper frame.

Absolutely correct. I once bought a Scott Addict for £1,800. It had Shimano Dura Ace gruppo on it (about a grand at the time) and yet the bike was only £1,800. Frameset alone in same shop was £1,250. Work that one out.

Hi Alan. No the guy discussed this with me and it kind of went over my head so I went with the one the felt right.

Bearing in mind my old bike is 26 it was always going to be a change

The one I got has 27.5

Thanks. I've heard some tosh talked about it too - but as far as I can see the main features of larger wheels are lower rolling resistance across rough ground, but at the cost of the bike becoming less wieldy in tight maneouvering. Mine's a fairly long in the tooth 26" which feels quite different to the 29s . so perhaps the 27.5 is a good compromise twixt one and t'other .

The correct wheel size is of course 20"

Tall_Order_Complete_Bike_Side_View.jpg

Having done some miles on it yesterday I have to say good pick!

You do run out of head room with the gears but excellerating is super fun it’s a really tight frame no loss of energy there.

Seats killing me I feel like I have been torn a new one

I love the wheels and the forks you can literally smash into a kerb and it just goes up it, no bother, its so weird!

It’s weird also the amount of wheel I see up front, size and geometry I guess, very comfortable ride though.

Only concern at this stage is some unusual noises from the crank only occasionally like a cracking noise, it does not feel knarly but it’s something i’ll get checked next week.

Hence the buying locally!

Having done some miles on it yesterday I have to say good pick!

You do run out of head room with the gears but excellerating is super fun it’s a really tight frame no loss of energy there.

Seats killing me I feel like I have been torn a new one

I love the wheels and the forks you can literally smash into a kerb and it just goes up it, no bother, its so weird!

It’s weird also the amount of wheel I see up front, size and geometry I guess, very comfortable ride though.

Only concern at this stage is some unusual noises from the crank only occasionally like a cracking noise, it does not feel knarly but it’s something i’ll get checked next week.

Hence the buying locally!

Thats the bonus of suspension, imagine how great it would be with the rear acting the same as the front :) would save your bum a little by the sound of it as well...I thoroughly recommend the Charge Spoon saddles - they are cheap and massively comfortable but still small enough that they don't get in the way. One of those 'best thing i ever bought' moments when I spent £20 on one of those!

The correct wheel size is of course 20"

Tall_Order_Complete_Bike_Side_View.jpg

I still use my 20 year old Mongoose SGX for most of my road use (was even my daily commute bike at one point), and occasionally some mild off-road, but my FS has spoiled me in that regard. It's still just as much fun as when I first got it as a teenager, although the 1pc crank is long gone, and I put a pair of Skyways on it too.

The key question of course is can it do pivot tables :)

Grats on new bike.

advertisement

Back