advertisement

£150 (kinda)SPEAKERS What would you buy

Get a mint pair of Wharfedale 505.2s. They can be seen on Ebay for about £60 or so. They are a fairly large bookshelf
and have a lot of positive attributes, including a smooth highs, decent minds and a warm but articulate bass. Good scale as well. Well worth seeking out and you’ll have money left for stands.

What about the Quad 11L ? Any experience? I know it was award winning when new.

The 11L Classic are very even-handed and easy on the ear; pleasant, if not the most involving performance I've heard, but not totally boring either (so certainly better than some I could mention :rolleyes:).

I guess tastes vary IDC. I'm also wanting to protect my hearing as I explore my fifth decade.... still (reasonably) fit and strong so wanting to keep my ears good too if possible.
I'm referring to a one box mini system 20watts if lucky not a full blown hifi.

I had a small second system from Onyko at the time Q Acoustics entry level speakers were getting fantastic reviews. So I bought a pair and was very happy with them. A year later it was my niece's 21 birthday who had just moved into her first flat. So I bought her the same Onyko system this time with the Onyko speakers it came with for £70 extra. About a year later I was in her flat when she played a CD. It grabbed my attention these Onyko speakers were in party mode just so much livelier than my Q's. That's when I stopped reading hifi reviews in magazines.
I’m listen to both over an extended period, your preference may steer back towards the Q Acoustics speakers. Mine are on the end of Linn electronics and are doing a grand job. I use mine in a near field setting and they’re amazingly detailed and involving for the money.

Rega Kytes? They can usually be had very cheap and sound good.

Must dig out the set I have somewhere as they'll be a decent upgrade on the Mission's my son is currently using.

Don't forget Royd. You may be lucky and get a pair of Minstrels, but their bookshelf speakers are great too. I second Rega Kytes and MS Pageant 2s and also what about Wharfedale Diamonds and Rega Elas?

Thanks Boys. Much appreciated.
There are two pairs of minstrels on ebay right now. One has a none original mix of drivers and the other has cabinet damage. Both look bloody awful sadly.
I'm leaning towards the Q acoustics thing because they will be new and performing to spec in a presumably modern way with up to date drivers etc. On the other hand.... They are such squatty little things and the room is ten metres long with my listening position typically four to five metres away. Can't see them producing much bass at all.

All the B&Ws I've seen have pushed in tweeters which "doesnt affect the sound"
Hahaha.... No..
Yeah, I looked at eBay after I posted and saw the models I had mentioned were pretty ugly. At least they're common enough that you could probably find some on Gumtree, or wait for a decent pair on eBay.

Yeah, I looked at eBay after I posted and saw the models I had mentioned were pretty ugly. At least they're common enough that you could probably find some on Gumtree, or wait for a decent pair on eBay.
Please don't think me ungrateful Boo..... I'm certain some good ones will pop up and I don't hold you responsible for the shagged state of those around at present :)

There are two pairs of minstrels on ebay right now. One has a none original mix of drivers and the other has cabinet damage. Both look bloody awful sadly.
I'm leaning towards the Q acoustics thing because they will be new and performing to spec in a presumably modern way with up to date drivers etc. On the other hand.... They are such squatty little things and the room is ten metres long with my listening position typically four to five metres away. Can't see them producing much bass at all.
That’s a pretty huge space by domestic standards, I too fear that the Q Acoustics may struggle to fill that space. That said, they might sound fine under relatively near field conditions. That said, I have 3010s, which are tiny. They are remarkably resolving for the money but do sound a little lost in my 7x5 meter family room. In my office sat on my (large/deep) desk, they’re very entertaining... anyway, I’m going off on a tangent, the newer 3010i and 3020i are quite a bit larger than their predecessors and do have a stronger bass output. Try and get a demo at your local branch of Richer Sounds.

If you can convince yourself to stretch your budget out, I’d be looking at Linn Ninkas or ProAc Studio 125, I’m pretty sure you’d be delighted with either. Both produce a warm, deep and detailed/clean low end when given some room to breathe, which doesn’t sound like an issue in your room, both have a warm and holographic mid range and a sweet, detailed top end. I’ve had Ninkas since about 2003 in various systems and I intend to add a pair of ProAc Studio 125s to my collection to use in my family room at some point.

No amp? Get some used Audioengine powered A5s, or Qacoustics as mentioned.
Used Actives or powered speakers will give best bang for bucks.

You can retires actives/powered elsewhere once you can step up.

No amp? Get some used Audioengine powered A5s, or Qacoustics as mentioned.
Used Actives or powered speakers will give best bang for bucks.

You can retires actives/powered elsewhere once you can step up.
Got a 200w Lyngdorfe power amp guest, so no shortage there. Just struggling to afford some suitable speakers until I get more settled.

That’s a pretty huge space by domestic standards, I too fear that the Q Acoustics may struggle to fill that space. That said, they might sound fine under relatively near field conditions. That said, I have 3010s, which are tiny. They are remarkably resolving for the money but do sound a little lost in my 7x5 meter family room. In my office sat on my (large/deep) desk, they’re very entertaining... anyway, I’m going off on a tangent, the newer 3010i and 3020i are quite a bit larger than their predecessors and do have a stronger bass output. Try and get a demo at your local branch of Richer Sounds.

If you can convince yourself to stretch your budget out, I’d be looking at Linn Ninkas or ProAc Studio 125, I’m pretty sure you’d be delighted with either. Both produce a warm, deep and detailed/clean low end when given some room to breathe, which doesn’t sound like an issue in your room, both have a warm and holographic mid range and a sweet, detailed top end. I’ve had Ninkas since about 2003 in various systems and I intend to add a pair of ProAc Studio 125s to my collection to use in my family room at some point.
Now considering a pair of Q acoustics 3050 floor standers I've seen Linnfo.
Enormous thanks to everyone who has suggested an item or three.... I'm certain something will pop up. Give me a shout if you see anything out there please. TA.

You could really do with some big speakers at that listening distance. Not sure how much vintage Wharfdale go for, but a mate had a pair with 12" bass drivers and I thought they were great for the pittance he paid. This was 20 odd years ago though...

I’d take a punt on the black Ruark Sabres currently on e bay for £150 plus p + p. If any £150 standmount will fill a large room with good sound, they will. IME, a better speaker than the offerings from Rega and Royd that can be had for similar cash.

advertisement

Back