advertisement

£150 (kinda)SPEAKERS What would you buy

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
So, Im still decorating the new place, still in a mess and have better things to concentrate my finances on but...... the Monitor Audio 852s are driving me batty. I get along just fine with metal dome tweeters as a rule but I have a feeling that these tweeters have seen better days and their treble output is sawing my ears off so, they have to go.
I'm torn between older and new budget jobs....... What would you do?
Ebay links and suggestions all very welcome. Size is irrelevant as I live mostly on my own. I have a decnt dac, streamer and cd player. Budget is £150 or so, until I get settled and can get some Maggies out of storage.

If you want something a little warmer, I’d suggest looking towards Q Acoustics, I’ve owned a couple models and heard many. I think they’re excellent things for the money, 3020s are easily achievable on your budget but you might even find some Concept 20s.

Dali make some nice models too but they are a little brighter and more forward than the equivalent Q Acoustics models so make sure you listen first.

Linn Keilidhs can sometimes be had for your budget (I picked a pristine pair up for my cousin for only £99), they’re fun speakers but not at all bright or coarse up top.

An important note, if you’ve just moved and you’re in a new, and critically room, and critically a room with less or no furnishings/curtains, that might be your issue. Where are you, if you’re close enough, I’ll come along with a boot load of speakers and we could have a play!

If you want something a little warmer, I’d suggest looking towards Q Acoustics, I’ve owned a couple models and heard many. I think they’re excellent things for the money, 3020s are easily achievable on your budget but you might even find some Concept 20s.

Dali make some nice models too but they are a little brighter and more forward than the equivalent Q Acoustics models.

Linn Keilidhs can sometimes be had for your budget (I picked a pristine pair up for my cousin for only £99), they’re fun speakers but not at all bright or coarse up top.
Cheers Linnfo.... the Q are on my radar and I just missed a pair of Keilidhs..... its not that I need 'warm' I hate 'dull' sounding speakers... but the MA's are sounding nasty up top... as I say i think the Elac tweeters have had their day.

B&W 6XX series from the 90s or 00s.

DM600i
DM601
DM602
etc.

I had 2 of those models in the past. When we moved to Spain and started fresh I thought of try Epos ES11s since people raved about them but after having them I missed the B&Ws. Now the ES11s are gone and I have just recently gotten 683s2s (floorstanders). A lot newer and bigger than what I had in the past!

B&W 6XX series from the 90s or 00s.

DM600i
DM601
DM602
etc.

I had 2 of those models in the past. When we moved to Spain and started fresh I thought of try Epos ES11s since people raved about them but after having them I missed the B&Ws. Now the ES11s are gone and I have just recently gotten 683s2s (floorstanders).
I've seen a few of these Boo.... will have a look ta.

Cheers Linnfo.... the Q are on my radar and I just missed a pair of Keilidhs..... its not that I need 'warm' I hate 'dull' sounding speakers... but the MA's are sounding nasty up top... I as I say i think the Elac tweeters have had their day.
Shame you missed the Keilidhs.

By the sound of things, I reckon you’d love Ninkas or Katans, they’re never nasty up top, but neither are they in any way dull. No chance of picking either up for £150, but on the other hand, both will hold their value if you take care of them.

Check out Royds too, any of them. They’re also anything but dull, very lively, but at the same time I’ve never experienced any harshness from any, they’re lovely things. I have a pair of MK1 Sapphires and I will never sell them, they’re absolutely keepers.

I see you’re in West Lancs, I’ve family in Fleetwood so if you’re not sorted by the next time I head up there, I’ll happily bring some Royd Sapphires and Q Acoustics 3010s along and could pop in on route and even leave them with you for a couple of days.

Shame you missed the Keilidhs.

By the sound of things, I reckon you’d love Ninkas or Katans, they’re never nasty up top, but neither are they in any way dull. No chance of picking either up for £150, but on the other hand, both will hold their value if you take care of them.

Check out Royds too, any of them. They’re also anything but dull, very lively, but at the same time I’ve never experienced any harshness from any, they’re lovely things. I have a pair of MK1 Sapphires and I will never sell them, they’re absolutely keepers.

I see you’re in West Lancs, I’ve family in Fleetwood so if you’re not sorted by the next time I head up there, I’ll happily bring some Royd Sapphires and Q Acoustics 3010s along and could pop in on route and even leave them with you for a couple of days.

Bless you mate. I'm hoping you are going to drop in for a listen and a brew when I get a bit more organised - I'd be a bit embarrassed at present... but working on it :) I'm on the way to Fleetwood!

Bless you mate. I'm hoping you are going to drop in for a listen and a brew when I get a bit more organised - I'd be a bit embarrassed at present... but working on it :) I'm on the way to Fleetwood!
I will do, I sympathise too, I moved house just under two years ago. I was in chaos for six months and even now, I still have stuff to do (plaster patching, wiring and tiling in the kitchen, not even started the bathroom yet :eek:), but I’m at least more organised now.

Cheers Deeb, bit scared they will be similar to the MAs to be honest. I also have stands already.

Worth a punt I reckon, as you should be able to move them on at little or no loss. And if you already have stands there is someone on the lookout for just those.

I have always found Monitor Audio speakers useful for ear wax removal but not so much for listening to music as they are far, far too bright. I heard a pair of their newer floor standers at the Ascot Hifi show last year and I literally lasted about 2 mins in the room because my ears felt like they were bleeding!

The Epos ES11, Q Acoustics are good suggestions or maybe the latest range of Elac's which are designed by Andrew Jones, they are superb for the money.

Dali make some nice models too but they are a little brighter and more forward than the equivalent Q Acoustics models so make sure you listen first.

An important note, if you’ve just moved and you’re in a new, and critically room, and critically a room with less or no furnishings/curtains, that might be your issue. Where are you, if you’re close enough, I’ll come along with a boot load of speakers and we could have a play!
I had a small second system from Onyko at the time Q Acoustics entry level speakers were getting fantastic reviews. So I bought a pair and was very happy with them. A year later it was my niece's 21 birthday who had just moved into her first flat. So I bought her the same Onyko system this time with the Onyko speakers it came with for £70 extra. About a year later I was in her flat when she played a CD. It grabbed my attention these Onyko speakers were in party mode just so much livelier than my Q's. That's when I stopped reading hifi reviews in magazines.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have always found Monitor Audio speakers useful for ear wax removal but not so much for listening to music as they are far, far too bright. I heard a pair of their newer floor standers at the Ascot Hifi show last year and I literally lasted about 2 mins in the room because my ears felt like they were bleeding!
Yea PJ... I like extended treble .... but jeez.....

I had a small second system from Onyko at the time Q Acoustics entry level speakers were getting fantastic reviews. So I bought a pair and was very happy with them. A year later it was my niece's 21 birthday who had just moved into her first flat. So I bought her the same Onyko system this time with the Onyko speakers it came with for £70 extra. About a year later I was in her flat when she played a CD. It grabbed my attention these Onyko speakers were in party mode just so much livelier than my Q's. That's when I stopped reading hifi reviews in magazines.
I guess tastes vary IDC. I'm also wanting to protect my hearing as I explore my fifth decade.... still (reasonably) fit and strong so wanting to keep my ears good too if possible.

What about the Quad 11L ? Any experience? I know it was award winning when new.

advertisement

Back