advertisement

£150 Dac

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
After my recent findings with Spotify, I have decided to buy a Dac in the £150 price bracket.

I see my options as secondhand Dacmagic/Caimen/V-Dac or a new HRT Streamer11.

Any opinions on the best 'bang for buck' here? I do like the idea of a new HRT which are around £110 delivered from America.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill - I've owned both a Caiman (non-Gator) and a Dacmagic but sadly none of the others.

The DM's possibly a more lyrical, slightly less in-yer-face bit of kit than the Caiman, and I probably preferred it - at a pinch. I've just sold my Caiman in fact - was going to go for a nearly-new DM+ but something cropped up so I couldn't go ahead (I blew up the dac we use for the TV so had to get another). As a result I've just bought a nice used (black) Dacmagic off a fellow forum member. If you like to use headphones the Caiman would be the only choice though - in fact its 'phones output is really quite good.

I've got an M2Tech Evo DAC arriving soon to try though - if it's better than the Dacmagic I may well move the DM on.

Oh...meant to say the USB connection on the Dacmagic, whilst no real ball of fire, is a fair bit better than on the Caiman which I found to be rather poor (saying that its other inputs are excellent).

Hi Bill - I've owned both a Caiman (non-Gator) and a Dacmagic but sadly none of the others.

The DM's possibly a more lyrical, slightly less in-yer-face bit of kit than the Caiman, and I probably preferred it - at a pinch. I've just sold my Caiman in fact - was going to go for a nearly-new DM+ but something cropped up so I couldn't go ahead (I blew up the dac we use for the TV so had to get another). As a result I've just bought a nice used (black) Dacmagic off a fellow forum member. If you like to use headphones the Caiman would be the only choice though - in fact its 'phones output is really quite good.

I've got an M2Tech Evo DAC arriving soon to try though - if it's better than the Dacmagic I may well move the DM on.

Richard,
I could be interested in the DM if you decide to move on.

Cheers,
Bill.

advertisement

Back