Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] £1400 Palmer turntable boxed with sme armboard

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by MANDY, Sep 20, 2022 at 7:29 PM.

1. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Palmer 3 turntable 2012 model in great condition

I have ordered a new belt for it and it has its original 2 belts , this requires a 1mm belt
    the belt i've ordered is a clearaudio one which is the correct dimensions and 1mm round thickness
    this cost me £45

comes with an sme armboard and its original packaging crate.

dimensions of the turntable are 35cm deep x 45 cm wide to include the 1cm gap between the turntable and motor unit

the power supply is 31cm deep 11 cm wide and 7cm high with no wires attached

to run this turntable you have to spin the platter at a reasonable pace similar to 33rp then the motor twitches to keep it at speed.
    the top fully works at 45 rpm and the lower section at 33rpm
    the dial on the front of the motor adjusts until you get to the correct speed , takes a while but then
    just mark the knob so you can go back to it , easy enough to use the store or better still your ears .

bearing runs silent and the mass of the platter stops any fluctuation in speed once it is at correct speed regardless of any twitching from belt or motor it is undetectable to the ear , a very clever design by John Palmer the designer / maker of this , it has the same motor and power supply that the Nottingham analogue turntables use.

the photos show the condition clearly

collection welcome from Scarborough or arrange your own courier it is heavy at 30kg length boxed 1000 x 70 x 55 cm I could meet or deliver within reason maybe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022 at 10:48 PM
    chartz and gerlando like this.
  2. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

If you can collect in person from Scarborough id take £1400 for this, save the hassle of posting it out and I can show it working.
    Its taking up to much room.
    We have an impending house move so just need this gone someone will get an absolute bargain on this.
    postage is £180 ish via ups insured for £1500 hence me dropping the price may meet for fuel costs but a deposit to be paid before I set off.
    happy for you to arrange your own courier at your own risk .

3. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Wow, fabulous.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  4. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

You can easily get sme to rega armboard adaptors for the older rega /origin live / funk firm / techno arm / roksan tonearms they are £50 ish on ebay from origin live , but other nicer looking more adjustable ones can be purchased for around £115 google search sme to rega adaptor

5. lordmortlock

lordmortlock A Linde Mann

Is it me or are the motor board and the psu a slightly different colour to the main deck board?

EDIT Ah, the edging of the motor board is a different trim I think.

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Maybe, but it could be from the effects of sunlight. Also, unless the timber was cut from the same board for the whole thing, no two pieces of any single timber will age the same. Various possibilities in addition to the timber being different species.

7. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Hi the wood on the top matches and is cut from the wooden panel but the edge has just darkened more on the motor unit, I did think of staining and darkening the edge of the turntable to match but decided against.

8. This seems like an absolute bargain to me, a gorgeous bit of equipment in the flesh and end game for a lot of people.

GLWTS.

Cheers BB

9. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Thanks I know its worth between 2000 and 2500 if I was prepared to wait 6 months but need a quick sale hence the silly price . Ive been offered 1500 trade in but dont want anything hifi wise really so as you say someone will get a bargain here.

10. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

If anyone is thinking of this and wants an SME tonearm Central audio have a brand new sealed 309 in for £1995 would make a good match it was used with a V and then a 309 .

11. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Here is a photo showing it with the new ClearAudio belt fitted as stated these belts are readily available from Analogue seduction for £40 each
    The belt works perfect and is seamless and far better than the original belts .
    It fits perfect and holds the speed stable without any issue , size is exactly the same as the original , but made of silicon as opposed to standard rubber. Colour is white not black

Anyone else using a Palmer Turntable and struggling to find a belt there is a link here.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/clearaudio-upgrades-parts-accessories/CADB[2][1][1].html

[​IMG]

12. mysterypete

mysterypete pfm Member

Gosh I had one of these back in the day when HiFi was an obsession. Absolutely fabulous TT and a bargain price, someone is going to be very lucky.

13. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

The power supply and motor on this is the wave mechanic below
    the ‘Wave Mechanic‘ designed and made for Jon Palmer by Martin Bastin.

The Wave Mechanic provides a very stable, clean and frequency adjustable nominal 60Hz sine wave to the 300 rpm AC motor. In order to keep noise and vibration from the motor as low as possible the power supply provides just enough current to keep the platter spinning. Of course the platter needs a push to get it started, but once it’s running the speed is very stable.

The Palmer 3 was the slightly higher level turntable and bit more expensive new due to the motor having its own separate plinth which means a bit more time and money to make , also been made of of solid wood and not layered plywood. Having it's own plinth has a sonic improvement as well .

the motor and bearing and everything else is the same as the palmer 2.5i only the plinths differ.

here are 2 links to the 2.5
    https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/palmer-25-turntable/

https://www.playstereo.com/en/giradischi/3068-palmer-audio-25-12-turntable.html#

going of the prices here I would imagine in Uk currency in 2012 when this turntable was made it will have been some were between £5000 and £6000.

if made today these would be over £10k new

14. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

Crate dimension to be exact are 52cm x 42cm x 85cm. weight is 30kg. DPD can collect and deliver next day for £22 or £32 before 10am but insurance for £1500 is £77 plus vat. £1000 insurance was around £70 inc vat . happy for you to arrange the courier at your risk and cost you could just insure for £500 knowing it shouldn't go missing at that , The packaging crate is overkill to say the least the crate weighs as much as the turntable. so it would arrive safely my only concern is it going missing in transit .

15. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

I may be able to source an SME IV Tonearm to sell with this it would be £3250 for the pair not a sure thing yet just checking any interest as a pair , it may or may not be easier to sell with a tonearm .