advertisement

£130 Amp with MM stage

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
I'm being a missionary and trying to sort out a neighbour's system. I noticed they have lots of good records (former DJ) but a sonically challenged set up.

We have worked out that the main culprit is the PA amp they were using with some little Sony speakers that look like they are from a mini system. I replaced it with a Croft 25/7 and even with the dodgy Sony speakers it sounded ok (at modest volume), so we are starting with an amp change.

What is the best use of £130? If it were a budget of £180-200 I'd try and find them an Onix 21, but that is too big a stretch.

For me, a Creek 4140s2 would be the main candidate for an 80s British amp, but what about Japanese? Are there any good old Marantz, Denon, etc, worth looking at?

A good MM stage is crucial.

Arcam A60 is a great little amp with a very good onboard MM stage.

I think the old nytech CA252 goes for around this price on ebay if you can find a good example . Has a very naim-like sound and a good mm stage built in . Think it is also an ancestor of the onix that you like .

An Aura VA 80 SE x would be worth considering, also the VA 100 II. Both have very good phono stages, and were designed and made under the auspices of B&W I believe.
Steve

DIN Plugs rule out the Nytech, unfortunately, as I'd fancy hearing one.

I don't think NAD budget integrateds tend to have phono stages, but I may be wrong.

An Arcam would probably do the trick.

I don't think NAD budget integrateds tend to have phono stages, but I may be wrong.

The Arcam is also DIN plugs but I bought some DIN > RCA converters on ebay for about £3 each to connect my Sonos and CD player.

The MM phono stage is RCA inputs so is fine.

For me, a Creek 4140s2 would be the main candidate for an 80s British amp, but what about Japanese? Are there any good old Marantz, Denon, etc, worth looking at?

A good MM stage is crucial.

I believe MM stage would be weak spot of Marantz or Denon. How about clamshell Rega? I'd take Rega over NAD any day, especially for vinyl.

There's a Claymore on "that auction site" that needs attention so should go cheap. Excellent phono stage on that.

Then there's also the old QED amps and a second vote for the Aura VA80.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Which Rega were you thinking Howdy?

Of new or recent amps, something like the Maantz PM6004 would do - I've heard this and it is decent; just not sure about the phono stage. The newer ones have built in DACs too.

If volume isn't an issue look to get an Amptastic Mini 1. I had one set up with some little Mission 750 LE's and the sound out of it was comparable to actives, very very clear! Then look at getting a TC-750 Phono Preamp, or a cheapish project.

My old NAD 3020 had a pretty decent MM phono stage on it

+1 for Creek.
Creek 4040 s3 has all phono connections.
There's plenty of drive into my Tannoy Cheviots.

As the phono stage is important why not go for a separate one? Even the Pro-ject phono Box E at £39 new inc. delivery will do a better job than the stage in many integrated amplifiers.

Now add a second hand Cambridge Audio A1, there are dozens on eBay and a tidy V2 will set you back £55 delivered.

That makes £94 total at which point it's worth considering a pair of Denon bookshelf speakers like the SC-M50, SC-M51 or SC-M53 made by Mission. There's a pair of '51s for £48 delivered which would kill two birds with one stone and only take you less than 10% over budget.

(I only looked at Buy-it-Now deals)

What sources does the system currently have?

advertisement

Back