advertisement

£1100 CD Player

neilo7

One day I'll stop upgrading
I'm not ready for digital streaming just yet so....
I'm looking for recomendations for a CD Player.
Budget is £1200 top limit. 2nd hand is welcome.
To go with my Nait XS-2 and AudioPlan speakers.

A second user (Les is upmarket after all:)) Avondale'd anything. My Alpha 5 will knock most everything into a cocked hat.

I'd love to hear what an Avondale'd Arcam Alpha 5 can do.

Are you in the Northwest of the UK, if yes where?

I've had the Saturn already and am considering going back to it. Alpha 5 is out as I would need it delivered.

Ikemi? Probably get one for £500 to £600, maybe less.

Mick

Ikemi seconded, I brought one for the second time about six weeks ago, I absolutely love it, I paid £900 for late minter, £800-£1000 is the going rate and I would happily pay £1000.

I paid £2200 for my first one new and I was very happy at that price.

The saturn is exellent too at around £600 used and will give the ikemi a run for it's money, I just find the ikemi sounds right in my system, I would only change it for a rega isis or linn cd12!

Tell you what, buy that and if you don't like it - I'll buy it off you as a backup.
You could do a lot worse and to be honest, for the money the man is giving it away. Even Les will tell you, one of the best things he ever produced.

I'm surprised it hasn't sold to be honest... If I didn't already have 7 or 8 CD players already I'd moth ball it for a spare...

A brand spanking new Audiolab 8200 CDQ for just under a grand. The sound quality is a lot better than it should be for the price and it has multiple digital inputs.

A brand spanking new Audiolab 8200 CDQ for just under a grand. The sound quality is a lot better than it should be for the price and it has multiple digital inputs.

That might be a good call esp as (home?) demo would be easy. Maybe even pick up a different (used) CDP to compare to and either return the CDQ or sell the other one on.

If you don't need the analog inputs of the 8200CDQ, the latest 8200CD has the same sound quality and a few hundred £ cheaper too. Just make sure its of the latest batch.

depends what you like.

I like meridian players, Rega, wadia, opus 21 (resolution audio), all of which are nice second hand players.

They dont do that snappy-naim-sound necessarily though if that's what you want.

NB
how about a nice transport and the majority on a DAC ? - for when / if you ever do go down the computer route.

advertisement

Back