Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

£100 budget for speakers with Rega Brio

Discussion in 'audio' started by D-C, Sep 24, 2018.

1. D-C

D-C pfm Member

Hi all,

I'm gifting my sister with my Rega Brio gear.

Any suggestions for 2nd hand speakers to match would be welcome.
    Mostly to be used with house music and a bit of pop.

Much appreciated,

D-C

2. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

3. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Go on ebay and pick up a pair of Mordaunt Short Pageants - great speakers that sell for peanuts these days.

4. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Q accoustics

5. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

New Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelves are excellent and are at or less than your limit.

6. Hayche

Hayche pfm Member

I second q acoustics. Great speakers for peanuts. I have a pair of 3010 with a smsl q5 Pro in the back room. A little nudge with the q5 bass eq fills the sound out. I have also ran them with a bk xls200 with a flat eq and could happily live with it as a main system.

7. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Yes Q acoustics , great value for money.

8. peterm

peterm pfm Member

You could get a pair of Rega ELAs for £100 which would be a nice match.

9. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

Keep it in the family. From the Rega R1, Alya and Ela to the Jura if more bass/space is available.

10. D-C

D-C pfm Member

Thanks for suggestions all.
    I've had an eye on the 3010s. If they've got them down at RS might check them out at lunch. Otherwise might take a punt on a pair of Rega.

11. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Another vote for Q Acoustics 3010s.

12. bencat

bencat pfm Member

13. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

I have mintish pair of Epos M5i you can have for £100 plus postage.

14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

You might find some Rogers LS2, LS4, or LS6 in that price range.

Oh, wait - House music? Some old Cerwin Vegas would do. Or Wharfedale E-series.

15. D-C

D-C pfm Member

Any pics you can ping over Paul? These might be just the job.
    Couldn't demo the 3010s.

16. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

D-C likes this.
  17. D-C

D-C pfm Member

18. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Message sent.

19. Koen

Koen pfm Member

You could also look at used Dali Zensor 1 or maybe 3 even

20. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

I had a few mid era Epos speakers, including the M5i as well as their larger brothers the 12.2. Unfortunately, from my perspective, not the most 'musical' speakers. More a clinical HiFi sound. - None lasted long in my systems. - Very good build though. The exception were Mordaunt Shorts MS10i and MS20i Pearls. Fantastic speakers borrowing heavily from Marshall's original designs but made for a lower price point. IMHO better than any of EPOS's mid era offerings.

£100 is not a lot for speakers, even 2nd hand and you can't expect too much. The best you can hope for is that what they do is reasonable and that they don't attempt to chew off too much. Aside of the afromentioned Pearl's two speakers stand out for me; Mission's M71i (an improved version from the one reviewed, measured and recommended by Stereophile) and, at a little more than your budget, perhaps £150 - £200, Usher's terrific little S520 which sound and look far better than the original RRP. A mini monitor in the true sense. - By the way Mission even made a dedicated stand for the M71.

None of those sound the same but are my pick for cheap speakers.

With a Brio, I'd probably try the Mission's or Pearls, both easy to drive and forgiving. The Usher ideally requires more powerful amplification but have more scope for upgrades down the line.