advertisement

£10,000 bonus on top of £81,000 for MP's

To earn £90k you would probably need to be a senior manager or associate director in private sector. There are people in sales earning quite big money in certain sectors. I don’t have a massive problem with MPs salaries, they work long hours & it is a high pressure job, however, this doesn’t make me think many are fit for the job.

If you’re going to make casual assertions based on “I think I read it somewhere” then I’d prefer folk to show the source.

Start here:
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/industrial-manager-salary-SRCH_KO0,18.htm

Further reading:
https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=General_/_Operations_Manager/Salary
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/worklife/careers/a33179/average-job-salaries-uk/
https://www.apm.org.uk/resources/fi...-salary-and-market-trends-survey/2018/salary/

I'd add my personal experiences as a DIT employee, but you don't accept my personal experiences.

In large areas of the country, hardly anyone is earning £90k. We are swayed by some salaries in the South East but to earn that in the North, takes exceptional skills, generally speaking. I have genuinely not heard many, if any, MPs speaking in the way that someone commanding such a salary in the private sector would. In my former position in commercial leadership, there is absolutely no way that I would get away with the flannel some MPs get away with; I would be called out, very quickly, for evading the question.

It depends what you class as equivalence, Drs, Solicitors, Barristers, Senior Academics, Head Teachers etc will all fall into the £90k bracket potentially.

Unfortunately this is politics so local part groups can put any old fool forward as long as they reflect their viewpoint. The quality of MPs appears poor but if you pay less this may not improve things

Thanks, that’s great. Going back to the thread topic, I think elected politicians should receive proper payment for the job they do otherwise we have an institution where most of the incumbents obtain their income from external sources like private income, consultancies, land/ property ownership etc- like the good old days of the Squireocracy. I don’t see the current amount as excessive except in one regard. The Party that has been in power for a decade and has a disproportionate amount of high net worth individuals, has been screwing down hard on public sector pay and if they’re going to dish out pay freezes, they need to accept the same rigour.

Someone will be along soon to re-present the figures.

In my opinion, MPs should be on about 45k. They seem to be average people. Nowt spectacular about them or what they do.
As MP’s claim to be public servants, their pay and conditions should be the same as public service pay.

Bearing in mind MPs imposed a wage freeze on public service pay while enjoying generous annual pay uplift themselves, they should now be paying that back and asked to explain why they are suddenly in love with public servants having impoverished them for years

No Worries. But I'm much more interested in your thoughts regarding that Guardian article, claiming scientific reports are censored and stuff is getting deleted.
Fortunately the data was already in the public domain, so a crude politically motivated attempt to suppress it failed as did the attempt by a local Party commissar to suppress news of the outbreak in Wuhan. Do you see what I said in the post you quoted about multiple indices, sources, rigour of scientific peer review? You have to separate out gut feel and prejudice.
BTW I’m preferring The Sun: Lab escape then replication and transmission via the global 5G network*.

* except for U.S. That was seeded by Europe.

Fortunately the data was already in the public domain, so a crude politically motivated attempt to suppress it failed as did the attempt by a local Party commissar to suppress news of the outbreak in Wuhan. Do you see what I said in the post you quoted about multiple indices, sources, rigour of scientific peer review? You have to separate out gut feel and prejudice.
BTW I’m preferring The Sun: Lab escape then replication and transmission via the global 5G network*.

* except for U.S. That was seeded by Europe.
Lol, I did not realise that the Chinese had only just started censoring reports. Sorry for my naivety. You win.

You are aware that all these things go via P11d and PAYE? I get some of these and I get the tax code to match.

I'm sure they do but that approach accrues a smaller tax bill - if they didn't help tax avoidance, why do executives use them?

However, that wasn't my point. Rich said that salaries are low and I agree, they are but that's only part of the story when it comes to their remuneration package, regardless of tax implications.

Lol, I did not realise that the Chinese had only just started censoring reports. Sorry for my naivety. You win.
Did you not read what I said more than once in replies to you, about drawing conclusions based personal experience, from single source and from gut feeling vs a range of sources taking account of to the nature of the source ( a political statement vs a scientific publication) and quality of evidence used? So I go back to my question- for someone who has worked in research ( you) why are you unable to differentiate between a “(insert nation) report” and a paper published in a peer reviewed scientific journal like The Lancet, Science etc or the data set published continuously by Johns Hopkins University?
You can see if you bother to look, that I’ve never cited a Chinese Report ( whatever that means) but from sources like the ones above. I’m comfortable with the difference but I’m unconvinced you even understand the difference which probably explains the sheer amount of autobiography youre falling back on.

Did you not read what I said more than once in replies to you, about drawing conclusions based personal experience, from single source and from gut feeling vs a range of sources taking account of to the nature of the source ( a political statement vs a scientific publication) and quality of evidence used? So I go back to my question- for someone who has worked in research ( you) why are you unable to differentiate between a “(insert nation) report” and a paper published in a peer reviewed scientific journal like The Lancet, Science etc or the data set published continuously by Johns Hopkins University?
You can see if you bother to look, that I’ve never cited a Chinese Report ( whatever that means) but from sources like the ones above.
Because it has been through the machine before you read it.

Because it has been through the machine before you read it.
I’m comfortable with the difference but I’m unconvinced you even understand the difference which probably explains the sheer amount of autobiography youre falling back on.

advertisement

Back