advertisement

£1 per meter speaker cable?

Did you mix up any of the cores?

no... though i didnt use multiple cables per run ... just a single eight strand cat5 cable per speaker ... they were going out to somy baby epos spearkers mounted on the wall and so i needed to cable to be relatively thin so as not to be too distracting ... runs are about sixteen feet per side ... maybe that was a bit too optimistic? though i have my expo 3010 s in its place now and checked the output transistors and other component temps and they dont seem too bad ... the output transistors are running close to 200 defrees f ... im not sure if thats overly high though...

Cat5 is around 50pF per metre which i think is about double what Naim amps of old could handle. I’m using Kimber 8tc which comes in at a rather hefty 100+pF per metre. If you have joined the pairs together to create a single cable you are looking at a very high capacitance, I’d guess it would easily be over 100pF per metre.

Don’t know if exposure amps are prone to oscillation like the old naim amps but for most stable amps capacitance values can and should be ignored.

advertisement

Back